Star Trek - General Discussion

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

Star Trek - General Discussion

Postby Agent009 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:57 pm

Ive been rewatching voyager and enterprise lately, its on the 'heros and icons' channel, so ive got ST on the mind.

Voyager has always been my favorite ST series, though it did kinda fade at the end with some ridiculous stuff, like the borg kids. The doctor is one of the best characters in the ST universes.
Didnt really like how it ended.. They shoulda left em stranded in the delta quadrant. Kinda hoped for a feature film, but that was always a long shot.

Enterprise is underrated. Honestly i never gave it a chance at 1st, but it was on some random station i dont think i even got.
Its obvious they were on a shoestring budget the last year, but the show really did deserve a few more seasons. I liked the andorians.
The throwback aspect was koool, so much of the tech that made everything so easy for picard and janeway was gone. Archer is a pretty koool captain, while Tpol is likely the worst acted ST character, evah.... And GWShrub as an engineer is funny now.
The ship is the best loooking enterprise.

So, what do you have to say about star trek?

/nerd
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Stew Ingredient

Re: Star Trek - General Discussion

Postby muthafunky » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:14 pm

I was a big Next Generation fan but couldn't get into Voyager or Deep Space Nine. I did watch Enterprise, in fact I dated one of the cast's sister and went to a party at Scott Bakula's house!

Do they have another series planned? It's been a while...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:35 pm

Crap, i how it wasnt tpols sister as i just bashed her acting! Though id imagine her sister to be just as hot.
What kinda party does scott bakula throw?....
Pictionary?

Oh ya, next generation was oarsome....
I find it amusing NG is a regular show in the BBC channel here in the sepposhire, i guess because picard has been knighted?
While most ST seeems to span decades, some of the NG episodes seeeem sooooooo dated now.

I never got into DS9. Tried watching it again on netflix and maybe got through 2 seasons.
There are some koool characters, the farengi and the shapeshifter, but it comes orf more like a soap opera.

And yes, they are working on a new series.... ST Discovery. Its supposed to take place 10 years? before kirk and spock.
So it will take place in the original timeline, not the ridiculous jj abrams no planet vulcan crap.
The lead dude working on the show also worked on the previous few series, brian fuller, but as its been pushed back a year, hes had to move on to other projects, but will still consult.
Its going to air on the CBS online channel only. Which seeems odd, as putting the last series on some random channel was likely part of its demise.

Stew Ingredient

Postby mothership » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:29 am

I liked ds9,voyager,enterprise and then TNG in that order.

Ds9 was one of the first series to develop a story arc through an entire season. TNG had some great one ofs but they are better known for the facepalm memes these days.

Babylon 5 was another great series.
Legalize Cheese

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:19 pm

Agent009 wrote:Ive been rewatching voyager and enterprise lately, its on the 'heros and icons' channel, so ive got ST on the mind.

Voyager has always been my favorite ST series, though it did kinda fade at the end with some ridiculous stuff, like the borg kids. The doctor is one of the best characters in the ST universes.
Didnt really like how it ended.. They shoulda left em stranded in the delta quadrant. Kinda hoped for a feature film, but that was always a long shot.

Enterprise is underrated. Honestly i never gave it a chance at 1st, but it was on some random station i dont think i even got.
Its obvious they were on a shoestring budget the last year, but the show really did deserve a few more seasons. I liked the andorians.
The throwback aspect was koool, so much of the tech that made everything so easy for picard and janeway was gone. Archer is a pretty koool captain, while Tpol is likely the worst acted ST character, evah.... And GWShrub as an engineer is funny now.
The ship is the best loooking enterprise.

So, what do you have to say about star trek?

/nerd

I can't say too much of anything intelligent to your question, but always enjoyed watching the original (old) Startreks and the new ones as well.

A side comment that you may find interesting: Foolsprogress (my late ex) was extremely into Star trek, and as a young teenager started a fan club with easily thousands of people in it. He even participating in hosting huge gatherings. I have a newspaper clipping somewhere around here about it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:25 pm

Crap, i how it wasnt tpols sister as i just bashed her acting! Though id imagine her sister to be just as hot.
What kinda party does scott bakula throw?....
Pictionary?

No... I don't want to say too much but you probably liked the actor.

Bakula had a pretty swank place in the LA foothills or whatever they're called. Catered with some really good food and a lady mixing drinks for people. We didn't stay long to be honest, so I'm not sure what it ended up being, but it was not a crazy drunken affair or anything early on. He was a super nice guy, all smiles and went out of his way to talk to everyone, no attitude or anything.

Goat Roper

Postby CatScanMan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:41 am

DS9 is really good. NG is the quintessential Star Trek though.

Voyager was a mess, some good characters, some odd choices.

Enterprise has a couple of great seasons. Others not so good.

I hope there is a new Star Trek TV series that isn't a prequel and doesn't involve the cast from the new films though.

A problem might be finding people who are really knowledgeable... It's an old franchise and the last one that was unequivocally good was DS9 which is 20 years ago. NG another 10 years before that. Are these people still alive and able to work?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:33 pm

Ok everyone, ill give DS9 another shot.....

Camino - There was ST talk here some time back and someone mentioned being quite in with the ST crowd. That might of been foools.

Mutha - Thats pretty koool, did his hologram friend show up?... lol.
Bakula seeems like a down to earth guy. I like what he did with archer. A captain who just wanted to explore, but sooon realizes his mi55ion is more about diplomacy, keeeping his crew safe, and at times violence. His acting got a bit stiff at times, but oh well. Writing can take the blame for that.

Ya, voyager did some dumb stuff. Janeway pushed the prime directive about as far as po55ible. Tom and blanna getting married, blech. The borg kids were the absolute worst. Oh, and ke55, omg, why?
I did like naomi wildman. A spinorf show for her when she grows up would be kool..... I bet shed kick wesley crushers whinging arse.
The holomi55ions back into the old black and white movies crack me up, captain proton!
Gotta lurve the hot rod delta flyer.

Cats - The new ST show is called discovery. It takes place a decade before the original ST. I believe they have said this series will take place in the original timeline. The lead guy on the project was (still advises) brian fuller, who wrote on DS9 and voyager, the director of WoKhan is on board, as is rod rodenberry for whatevah thats worth. So there ya go.
Discovery is not going to be from a captains perspective, as fuller has said ST has always been about the captain, so it was time to try something different. Its beeen hinted the show will revolve around the 1st officer.... As the lead characters name is simply, Number 1. The character will be played by sonequa martin who plays sasha on the walking dead, so she is likely zombie foood on that show. Michelle yeoh has been cast as a star fleet captian. They just announced a bunch of klingons have been cast as well, so it seeems they may play a big part. Pa55 the targ!
And theres gonna be a ghey scientist.
Due out by end of the year, but it originally planned to be going live right about now.

Discovery loooks pretty koool, though they have said they are still tweeeeking the design...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery

Stew Ingredient

Postby Bastet » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:31 pm

I got into it though "The next generation" I think it was revenge for joking/teasing about something I'd not actually watched as a kid.

Love Voyager, it's my fav and the doctor was the best one in it. I too hoped it would end with a movie. The ending sucked.

I liked DS9 too, soap opera in space.

I started to watch Enterprise but gave up as I disliked two of the main characters; the captain and was it Tuck or something like that.

I've still not seen any of the original series or movies.

Hope the new one (if it ever comes out) is good.

I adored Babylon 5 - fucking amazing at the time. Although they should stopped at season 4. I wish they'd do a fixed up bluray version.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:40 pm

Bastet, i totally agree about the doctor on voyager. What a great idea for a character. Some of the best episodes revolved around him. One of my fave episodes is when a version of him is reactivated in a alien museum 700 years in the future, he explains what really happened in the past, becomes the planets super doctor, and after a while they give him a ship to get back to earth.
My late uncle, who kinda got me into ST always thought the doctor should get his own show.... And that episode whoulda been a great place to start.
Adventures of an EMH. His ship wouldnt even need life support.

And yes, there was a tucker on enterprise. He was the engineer. He talked like he was from texas, and im sure it was no coincidence he loooked like GW. It was ridiculous at the time, almost unwatchable, but now its just kinda funny and easier to loook past.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:22 pm

New trailer for discovery.....

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 pm

Anybody watch star trek discovery last night?.....

Pretty goood, not the same star trek, but still star trek enough. The CGI was awesome, if maybe overdone.
2nd episode was better than the 1st. Since it finished the story of the 1st, it should of aired for free as well. Not the direction i expected the show to take, but i wont complain. Im tired of everything being from the perfect captains perspective.

Ill watch more, but i wont pay for it.
Kant even watch the 1st episode again for free, which sucked as foootball made it air late and everyones dvr missed half the episode.
Quite lame CBS is hiding it behind a paywall.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Bastet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:55 am

Nope but I want to see it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:08 pm

^ im not sure where you are bastet...
The show is on netflix outside the usa, cept canada, there its on the space channel.
Its only hidden behind the paywall in the yankeeshire.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Bastet » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:54 pm

Agent009 wrote:^ im not sure where you are bastet...
The show is on netflix outside the usa, cept canada, there its on the space channel.
Its only hidden behind the paywall in the yankeeshire.

Oh cool I hadn’t realised it was on Netflix!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Bastet » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:01 pm

Seen the 2 first episode. Damn you Netflix for making me wait a week for the next one. That is so old fashioned. #firstworldproblems

I really liked it. The effects were awesome and I really liked where it taking us.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lincoln » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:21 pm

I've just finished watching the first 2 episodes and thought it was great...

I'm so pleased they killed off Michelle Yeo though...i couldn't have handled her utterly annoying accent for a whole series.

I like to watch Star Trek and have a good old perv at some of the female main characters and this series is not disappointing,the half Vulcan half human first officer is well worth a wank a or two. :lol:

I did feel that it was a week ass story line though and also thought that the kilngons look nothing like Kilngons...that being said i thought it was compelling listening to the Kilngons talking and found it really effective having to read subtittles....visually it was great so my opinion so far is "great to have it back but it aint great....yet."

Stew Ingredient

Postby mad hatter » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:53 pm

my 12yr old son mocks my star trek watching
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Well heck, thats 3 votes for, none against so far.... Not bad.
I got sucked into a discovery youtube hole and most of the comments are negative about the show, its quite comical some of the responses.
Fing trolls.

The klingon makeover is a bit extreeem, which doenst really bother me as much as the makeover they gave their 'birds of prey'....
And no targ?... Or even a reference to how much the klingon ship stunk!!!
These things are expected!!!... lol.

I do like where they are taking us, on a journey with a disgraced officer recruited suicide squad style.
It sets up a great story arc, though at the same time it could easily crash and burn.

The story line of the 2 episodes was is a bit meh, but they had to set it all up somehow. The mutiny itself was a bit silly, even if she was pretty much right (i wonder if that will ever be addre55ed?).
Now that the main character is heading to the ship the show is named for, hopefully it will all come together.

Lincs, if you mean the 1st officer from discovery, shes all human... Raised by vulcans.

The only real mystery so far, the question i want answered more then any.....
Why is Her name Michael?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lincoln » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 pm

After episode 3 I'm really into it,I want to shag the main character(Michael) and I feel I'm an incarnation of T'kuvMa.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Another great episode......
Are we being teased the mirror universe?..... The source of the best star trek evah?.......

Goat Roper

Postby CatScanMan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:50 am

I watched the first episode of the new one. It's better than the sum of its parts for some reason but I'm not sparing 50mins of my life to watch the second episodes.

The acting is horrible, particularly Michelle Yeoh. The Klingon makeoever is horrible and pointless. The script is horrible. Why did this shit get made and why did they feel the need to kick the Star Trek franchise yet again by adding the name to this generic sci fi action.

Still, I watched it through the whole episode so there's that.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:48 pm

You really should give it a few more episodes catdude....
The 1st 2 episodes have little to do with the actually story so far, cept setting things in motion.
You are correct, its kinda sloppy.
Things have improved since the show moved to the ship the series is named for.

Im not gonna say its perfect (the new bit of technobabble needs more explaining, though im sure that will be done), but previous treks are not really as perfect as nostalgia has led us to believe.
One of the koool aspects of enterprise was that it showed the 1st steps of what would become starfleeet.
Discovery seeems to be about solidifying starfleeet as what it will become.... Though that is total speculation on my part this few episodes in.

Anyway, im getting ready to watch the latest episode.

Return to Nerdville