Cord cutting

Video games, electronics and gadgets, elf ears and more

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

Cord cutting

Postby StrangeLove » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:08 pm

I cut the cord months ago and have been downloading shows I want to see and streaming sports on virus laden shit sites. Are there any legitimate streaming sites for news and sports?

I could get a roku for $50, I guess, but I already have a HTPC I use.
Citizen Baba on 4/28/2015 wrote:If we ever do have that Baltimore piss up, I'll need to take a minute and a half break to kick strangelove's ass.

Stew Ingredient

Re: Cord cutting

Postby muthafunky » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:53 am

I looked into cutting the cord and decided I couldn't do it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby egjeg » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:57 am

I cut the cord in 2003 and haven't looked back. Live sports are the only trouble. I generally just avoid talking to anyone until I have a chance to download major sporting events. I might have taken a sick day during the last world cup, just to avoid all human contact until the torrent finished downloading.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:37 pm

Wouldn't be as big a problem for me, as my Los Angeles Dodgers sold out to TW Cable and so I can't get any local games unless I go with the local cable monopoly, instead of satellite. But husband would miss his Sharkies.

Do you have antenna reception?
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:36 pm

There's a lot of sports content that you can't pick up with an antenna, unfortunately. It's pretty much the only thing keeping me on cable and it's costing me an arm and a leg.
Godjira wrote:Did you orgasm typing that? Holy fuck.

Your mom is a child molester.

Stew Ingredient

Postby mad hatter » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:52 pm

Have ditched the local satellite TV sports package and download now.
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Stew Ingredient

Postby StrangeLove » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:01 pm

I have antennas, but it's a PITA to set up with the running of cables and whatnot.

I just read that Yahoo is in talks with the NFL to stream games. That's a bingo for me.
Citizen Baba on 4/28/2015 wrote:If we ever do have that Baltimore piss up, I'll need to take a minute and a half break to kick strangelove's ass.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:15 pm

They did one game already. They're planning 2 next year. Doubt that's going to get it done for you

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lincoln » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:51 pm

I couldn't do it,much like my best friend Moe,its sports that keep me paying for cable everything else we stream on Kodi and pay nothing for it but i could not live without watching Cricket on a weekend.

Stew Ingredient

Postby StrangeLove » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:55 pm

I use stream2watch, but it's spam/virus laden and inconsistent.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lincoln » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:17 pm

We use an Amazon fire tv box and downloaded Kodi on to it and from the we use Genesis,Phoenix,Gorilla,MutsNuts etc.

We just did an upgrade so that the box automatically finds the best quality streamer that works...we've not looked back since.

Stew Ingredient

Postby StrangeLove » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:46 pm

Lincoln wrote: we use Genesis,Phoenix,Gorilla,MutsNuts

This is gibberish to me. What are these things?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:54 pm

StrangeLove wrote:
Lincoln wrote: we use Genesis,Phoenix,Gorilla,MutsNuts

This is gibberish to me. What are these things?

They're basically search engines that you use to stream movies/tv/etc. through Kodi. You can frequently get shit that is still at or even that has yet to hit the big screen.

Stew Ingredient

Postby StrangeLove » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:45 pm

Ah. I'm old fashioned; I still get my shows from usenet.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Annotated » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:49 pm

People might look into Sling TV if they're looking to cut the cord.

They have ESPN. It's $20/mo.
Fuck the Founding Fathers. There's a new daddy in town!

Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Postby Electrolyte » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:48 am

We just got an Amazon Fire Stick and are looking into cutting the cable. The obstacles are:

- NBA Basketball is essential; a couple of other major sports events (Super Bowl, World Series, Wimbledon) are highly desirable.
- News shows (mostly 60 min, Fareed Zakaria GPS, Face the Nation, Meet the Press, George Stephanopoulous, the Daily Show ... yes that's news).
- A couple of premium shows (Bill Maher, Homeland, Real Sports, John Oliver).
- A good selection of movies.
- Major events (Oscars, ...)

Also we want on demand. Don't want commercials and don't want to have to watch live.

Seems like you can get every basketball game for $100 for the whole season on the NBA app. Might be cheaper now because the season is 1/2 over. For nationally and locally broadcast games you have to wait til 3 hrs after the game ends, but I usually do that anyway to be able to skip the commercials.

We can get HBO and showtime separately. Amazon prime seems to get us many of the news shows for free. Hulu or Sling might fill in the gaps. We'll test out the 7 day free memberships to see.

We have Netflix, but may ditch it since Amazon Prime gets us almost the same selection.

All this will add up to less than $50/month.

Postby Electrolyte » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Snip!

Postby Electrolyte » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:43 am

Overall it's better for 1/5 the price!! (Hulu, HBO, and Showtime for $36/month; NBA season pass for $100 one time; we already had Amazon Prime and Netflix.)

One big catch. I now can watch every NBA regular season game on demand on NBA.com (awesome!), but that doesn't include the playoff games, and they don't seem to offer any way to watch them. I hope this won't be the first time in over 3 decades that I miss the NBA postseason.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:15 am

Right now sports is a big one. I want to be able to watch college football + NFL + MLS regular and post season, plus MLB and NBA post season, and the ncaa basketball tournament. Is that even possible while cutting the cord?

Stew Ingredient

Postby mad hatter » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:24 am

if i watch a game i do pay per view on a friday night online or i download it or vpn into the bbc

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:57 pm

Ppv is pretty much just for boxing here. I'm not aware of many sports streaming options, the ones that exist usually requires regular tv subscription anyway.

Pretty sure sports is one of the things cable and satellite companies use to try to keep subscribers.

Stew Ingredient

Postby mad hatter » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:51 pm

muthafunky wrote:Ppv is pretty much just for boxing here. I'm not aware of many sports streaming options, the ones that exist usually requires regular tv subscription anyway.

Pretty sure sports is one of the things cable and satellite companies use to try to keep subscribers.

the local sat tv company has has to start offering streaming options as subscribers were leaving

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:08 pm

But you still need a subscription?

Postby Electrolyte » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:32 pm

Solutions to get the NBA playoffs.

Sling's basic package is $20/month. It includes ESPN and TNT. They also offer an online DVR with 50 hrs of space for $5 month. (Not quite as good as on demand, but close.) You can cancel anytime, so I can get 3 months for $75; enough for the NBA playoffs.

A catch is that the finals are on ABC and I'm not clear on whether Sling has ABC. If not, I'm guessing I can buy the championships online or maybe even get them for free on YouTube.

Another option would be to buy a Tablo and an HD antenna for $250-300 total, which is considerable, but it would work for years.

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:36 am

The only reason to pay outrageous cable or satellite bills these days is if you must watch sports. I don't. I quit subsidizing you sports dorks almost 8 years ago. It's still a ways off until the sports broadcast dynasties/pro sports leagues will have to make big changes in distribution but I'll bet it's coming eventually. Too many people are jumping ship.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:15 pm

So I finally took a serious look at this. It still seems impossible to me. I actually bought an HD antenna to see how well it works (and it was only $9). I was pretty amazed to be honest, I was able to get 30 or so stations including all the major networks in great quality HD. Then I went through and looked all the shows we watch. I'd say we're probably covered 80% by those stations. However, there are a handful of shows that we watch on other stations, plus there are the stations that play sports - so the main other stations I'd want are TNT, TBS, Comedy Central, AMC, Bravo, FX, ESPN, maybe a couple of others (HBO I could just get separately and pay for). I looked at Sling TV, and lo and behold I could get all of those stations for only $25 per month! Seems like at that point I could ditch Comcast altogether right?

Nope. Sling TV is just a way to stream live TV for those channels. I can't run it through my DVR to save and watch later. That's pretty much a deal breaker, I'm not going to watch at the whim of when stuff is live broadcast. I don't see any way around this. I have netflix so many of those shows are available there, though usually they are out of date, sometimes only a year or so, but sometimes many years out of date.

So looks like I'm still stuck with fucking Comcast. Still have a Prime subscription. Still have a Netflix subscription with DVDs. Still have HBO.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:36 pm

Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Postby Electrolyte » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:00 am

Don't break that deal yet. Sling offers an online DVR with 50 hrs of space for $5 month for recording their shows.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:02 am

The cloud DVR might save me yet! Thanks for the tip.

Postby Electrolyte » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:07 am

Same for me. Need it to see the NBA playoffs. I'm still not sure how I'm going to watch the finals.

I haven't signed up for it yet because the playoffs haven't started. Let me know how it works if you sign up before I do (and I'll do the same).

PS can't remember how much of a basketball fan you are, but the entire season on demand, including live games (except local or nationally televised which have 3 day or 3 hour delays respectively) is now down to $50 on NBA.com. 20 years ago this would have been nirvana for me. I still can't get over my hatred for Comcast for, besides all of the obvious reasons, not including the Chicago Bulls channel in the DC lineup during the Jordan years when they made it available in Virginia and Maryland.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:16 pm

YouTube is introducing a streaming service, starting in a few locations now...

http://mashable.com/2017/04/05/youtube- ... K1zJhAHgqG

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Yeah, a buddy of mine recommended that as well. Here's a comparison of popular options:

https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/03/tv-streaming-services-compared-youtube-tv-is-strong-but-struggles-with-variety/

Postby Electrolyte » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:49 am

YouTube definitely looks interesting. What does it mean that it is available only in certain areas? Is PS available only in certain areas?

All of the services in Mutha's comparison are listed as having on demand service, but the on demand selection is so limited with some services that it is practically useless, which is why most of them offer DVRs. What's really annoying is that they won't let you see what they've got before you sign up.

They don't count TNT as a sports channel? Do they count the Vatican as a holy site?

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 am

YouTube TV is currently available to residents of the following areas:

Chicago
Los Angeles
New York City
Philadelphia
San Francisco Bay Area

I've researched more and it does seem that Sling TV + HD Antenna + Netflix will cover all of the shows we watch. The main outstanding problems are 1) Sling TV DVR is still in beta and 2) It's not clear if the DVR will let you fast forward through commercials. I hate commercials enough that it might be a deal breaker for me if true.

Postby Electrolyte » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:08 am

I think you can sign up for sling today, try it, and if you don't like it you can cancel tomorrow and only pay for one day. I may try that.

DirecTVNow is "only" $35, but that goes up to $60 after an unspecified date. Also the online DVR doesn't exist yet. It is promised for some unspecified future date.

Postby Electrolyte » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:13 pm

Aaaaaargh!!!

I'm in Albania until next week. I just tried to sign up for Sling to start recording the NBA playoff games and I got a message that Sling is not available in my location. Ok, I don't need to watch the games here; I can watch when I get home. Just let me set up my account with online DVR, record the games, and watch when I get home. But no.

Almost half of the NBA playoff games take place this week! Every year for the past three decades I have spent this week--perhaps with a delay after traveling--watching basketball the way Kieth Richards does drugs.

Why does this have to be such a complicated mess!

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:58 am

Because $ and monopolies

Stew Ingredient

Postby DCComic » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:39 am

https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-service/sling-vpn

Does it work though?
Netflix play chase with VPNs.
I want my fucking money back.
The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Is that a way to steal slingtv?

Postby Electrolyte » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:32 pm

God has answered my prayers; the NBA is selling on demand access to the playoffs for $14/month or $45/year.

muthafunky wrote:Because $ and monopolies

Mr. Funky, you know many things that are hidden.

Stew Ingredient

Postby DCComic » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:49 pm

muthafunky wrote:Is that a way to steal slingtv?

No.
But maybe with a VPN you can spoof your location.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:06 pm

I think we're all in the US where sling is available. Maybe you were saying this for the non Americans? Or maybe you're thinking of youtube tv, which is currently limited to a few cities?

Stew Ingredient

Postby DCComic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 am

Electrolyte wrote:Aaaaaargh!!!

I'm in Albania until next week. I just tried to sign up for Sling to start recording the NBA playoff games and I got a message that Sling is not available in my location. Ok, I don't need to watch the games here; I can watch when I get home. Just let me set up my account with online DVR, record the games, and watch when I get home. But no.

Almost half of the NBA playoff games take place this week! Every year for the past three decades I have spent this week--perhaps with a delay after traveling--watching basketball the way Kieth Richards does drugs.

Why does this have to be such a complicated mess!

Grief.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:52 am

Ah, right.

Postby Electrolyte » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:03 pm

Electrolyte wrote:God has answered my prayers; the NBA is selling on demand access to the playoffs for $14/month or $45/year.

F--- faces! I'm back in the U.S. now. That offer was only available in Albania. All games are blacked out for Americans. Albanians get to watch the playoffs, but not Americans. F--- NBA.com!

Postby Electrolyte » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:41 am

Sling DVR doesn't work for all channels. Of particular relevance for sports fans all ESPN channels, ABC, and Fox Sports are excluded.

http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US/FA ... tedArticle

This is like trying to negotiate an agreement with Afghan warlords.

Postby Electrolyte » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:05 pm

There are good summaries of all the NBA playoff games, with quick clips of most baskets, for free on YouTube. Also there are many complete games with no commercials. So to hell with NBA.com, TNT, ESPN, at least for now.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:22 pm

Ive alway found that sports were the easiest thing to get for free orf the internets....
Thanks to links ive beeen provided on this very site.
Firstrow sports always has what i need. Though ive never loooked for cricket or NBA.
Just gotta be very very careful what you click on.

I just got a kodi box, i set it up at work as i have free cable at home.
It has. Everything. Only bummer is the firstrow streeems are the only thing im having trouble with on it, lol.
I paid $100 bucks for it from a friend who sells em. He gets all the downloads right then helps ya set it up. It takes a bit of time to get used to, as you have to search/know what you want to watch. That mental bit seeems to be the hardest part of cutting the cord for me, though im sure it can be overcome.

Its basically a android machine. This is the interface. You click on a kodi app.

Which goes to this.... Scuse the fade, the sun is comnig out, its a cheeep projector, though for $120 it works pretty fricking good and i kant complain.

From there you pick a movie/show. Then it takes you to a bunch of streeems to choose from, then you choose one. It can take about 30 seconds between these steps.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Mon May 08, 2017 4:38 pm

I don't really have any interest in mucking around with illegitimate services.

Hulu's TV service is now in beta: http://gizmodo.com/hulus-live-tv-service-is-now-available-in-beta-with-50-1794869996

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Mon May 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Also, a comparison of Sling, Youtube, Playstation, DirecTV, and Hulu

http://www.businessinsider.com/streamin ... ue-2017-5/

Next

Return to Nerdville