Should Hillary be Secretary of State?

Obama-Biden or McCain-Palin? Or Paul-Hulka?
Stew Ingredient

Postby sodelicious » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:36 am

Judik, what position is SCOTUS?
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

special sauce

Postby justinian » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:58 pm

S, I think that that is Supreme Court?

Not sure what a scrotum deficiency is though? Thin skin near, or no balls?
The HOFF, people! Knight Fuckin' RIDER right in the reclining chair section!! -- nettie

Stew Ingredient

Postby Gales » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:20 pm

Not crazy about this idea. Obama is already tapping a lot of Clinton era names. This one feels too retro. Let's turn the page please.

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:58 pm

Gales wrote:Not crazy about this idea. Obama is already tapping a lot of Clinton era names. This one feels too retro. Let's turn the page please.

you want people on your transition team who know about DC and how the WH works
Unfortunately that means that since Clinton was the only dem president within the past 25 years the Obama transition team has to use them

justinian- no balls!
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby Gales » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:33 pm

I didn't say it was a bad thing in general. But to go this visibly Clintonian could really kill some of the energy generated by an apparent break with dynasty. Looks too much like "change you can fake".

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:00 pm

Gales wrote:Not crazy about this idea. Obama is already tapping a lot of Clinton era names. This one feels too retro. Let's turn the page please.

i sort of agree with not dipping too deeply into the Clintonian WH, but i'm not sure Hillary is Clintonian-retro anymore, due to recent history.

i hated the way she ran her campaign, but when detached from that Presidential run, i can see her as an effective leader and bureaucrat.

she started to lose me when she voted for the Iraq War Resolution, but i knew at the time she was doing it purely for political purposes...both she and McCain made over-calculated decisions anticipating their Presidential runs, years before, that ended up backfiring. it's always better to be true to your heart rather than try to calculate for the future.

now that the Presidential race is over, maybe she can act out of a sense of inner purpose again rather than out of political calculation.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:15 pm

Gales wrote:I didn't say it was a bad thing in general. But to go this visibly Clintonian could really kill some of the energy generated by an apparent break with dynasty. Looks too much like "change you can fake".

Don't disagree.Not defending the position just explaining it
she started to lose me when she voted for the Iraq War Resolution, but i knew at the time she was doing it purely for political purposes...both she and McCain made over-calculated decisions anticipating their Presidential runs, years before, that ended up backfiring. it's always better to be true to your heart rather than try to calculate for the future.

I think I'm cynical enough to think ,with few exceptions, that most decisions made by politicians are made for political reasons
It was easy for Obama to speak against the war.Would he have if he were already a Senator?
The case can be made that even his anti war position was based partly on cold calculation.I think he is extremely ambitious
Hard to tell though without having a time machine
Obama's vote on FISA was a political vote that I do believe
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:52 pm

.I think he is extremely ambitious

obviously anyone who runs for President is extremely ambitious., but all his advisors have suggested that they feared he didn't have the burning drive to be President that was necessary. it wasn't a done deal that he would run.

i think there are people whose ambition is without purpose and people whose ambition really has some genuine desire to do well behind it. and all shades in between.

and i think the latter can easily get spoiled with too long a career in politics, which is one of the things i thought was important in Obama -- what was an unreadiness to some to me was a freshness that is extremely necessary right now. he has believed in the possibility of things that everyone has said are not possible.

It was easy for Obama to speak against the war.Would he have if he were already a Senator?

thats a good question, but we'll never know the answer. did you see the post i made about his team trying to restrict connections to lobbyists? it's not easy, but they are trying.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Mindulge » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:30 pm

She seems to be at the top of the list.

I still think John Kerry is going to get it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:59 pm

Mindulge wrote:She seems to be at the top of the list.

you've got to be kidding.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby methuselah » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:03 pm

korgy wrote:
Mindulge wrote:She seems to be at the top of the list.

you've got to be kidding.

What do you think of this?

http://www.politicalstew.com/forum/view ... hp?t=66381
If you look out your window as the sun's going down, I'll be there by the side of the road, And I'll ride you away from the dirty down town, An ne'er again leave you alone
T-Bone Burnett

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:23 pm

what do i think? i think if Hillary's eligibility poses problems he should choose Bill Richardson or Chuck Hagel.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Doc » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:20 pm

I hope Hilary stays out of the administration. I have Clinton fatigue. So do millions of others.
As Aldous Huxley pointed out, "The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human."

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:49 pm

Doc wrote:I hope Hilary stays out of the administration. I have Clinton fatigue. So do millions of others.

yes, millions of others do, but millions of others don't, also -- which is the problem. millions of others WANT to see her in an Administration, as well.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby methuselah » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:05 am

It looks like we're seeing all of Bills former empolyees. You call this "change"?
If you look out your window as the sun's going down, I'll be there by the side of the road, And I'll ride you away from the dirty down town, An ne'er again leave you alone
T-Bone Burnett

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:53 am

mutha is fixing
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:59 am

Doc wrote:I hope Hilary stays out of the administration. I have Clinton fatigue. So do millions of others.

actually, i don't think what i wrote before was quite right on this.

the Clinton fatigue that people now have is with Bill Clinton. Hillary-fatigue seems to have dissipated since she finally gave in and Obama's strengths and popularity elevated him to winning the Presidency.

in a perfect world, Hillary would be Sect of State, and complete the circle now.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby kirrabi » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:57 pm

in a perfect world, Hillary would be Sect of State, and complete the circle now.

The circle which touches all five points of a pentagram? Her as Secty of State is one step closer to a Supreme Court seat. What else would she give up her Senate seat for? This is terrible to think of. If she is a loyal Secty of State and doesn't try to upstage the Prez what will her reward be after 4 to 6 years in the State Dept.? Ugh, what a nightmare. Won't they ever go away?

The only bright spot in this scenario is Bill. The guy doesn't care what anyone thinks. If you let him in through the door it's your own fault., He's not going to curb his indulgences for anyone. Can you imagine Hillary filling out the vetting questionnaire and better yet someone having to read it and make comments on the boarder of the pages? Who would have the guts to submit it to the Chief of Staff?
His gizzard was stuffed so full of rubies he sounded like a bag of marbles when he waddled past the Mogok checkpoint and anyone who saw him would swear he had been force fed for the purpose of making a fine foie gras. – A passage from Legends of the Duck

Blue Eyed Devil

Postby blueeyes_austin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:59 pm

korgy wrote:

i sort of agree with not dipping too deeply into the Clintonian WH, but i'm not sure Hillary is Clintonian-retro anymore, due to recent history.

i hated the way she ran her campaign, but when detached from that Presidential run, i can see her as an effective leader and bureaucrat.

Oceania has never been at war with Eurasia!
"We shall cause a distortionary response in US fiscal policy! God is great! God is great!"--Electrolyte channeling the 9/11 hijackers

Stew Ingredient

Postby Piel! » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:05 am

The Blowkiest Bloek in the whole of Bleakdom

bark brak! bark barack karp! bark!

Stew Ingredient

Postby q5q » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:18 pm

mutha is fixing
bodhisattva of sweetness, lite, and moist since 2001; dave_of_daves, whisperer_of_catsups

Vince wrote:
I'm never angry except with q5q who is a despicable abortion.

d&c
arbour zena: keith jarrett, charlie haden, jan gabarek, stuttgart rad orc

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:15 pm

she hasn't formally been offered the job, apparently

interesting couple of paragraphs in the Wash Post this afternoon:

But there continued to be some dispute about whether the job had been formally offered to Hillary Clinton. Although Obama did not formally offer her the position, aides to the president-elect said Wednesday, they said that it would be difficult for Clinton to now walk away from the secretary of state post. The aides said Obama's staff has gone down the path of thoroughly vetting her and her husband with the understanding that, if he should make an official job offer, she would accept it. Another candidate for the post, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, emerged from his meeting with Obama last Friday under the impression that the job had not been filled, people familiar with that meeting said.

Clinton is mulling whether to take the post with her husband and close advisers, the source said, noting that becoming the nation's top diplomat would be a major and career-changing decision for the former first lady. Of particular concern is how much influence Clinton would have in Obama's White House, where she would compete for attention with other top foreign policy and national security advisers, said a source, who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to speak candidly about the negotiations.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-tr ... id=topnews
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:58 pm

things change quickly overnight.

it's being reported that Hillary is a done deal now -- even though the Obama team was feeling pretty disgusted and bound up by all the leaks in the process -- like they didn't have a choice.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby q5q » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:02 pm

yeah, the nytimes is reporting she's accepted. i just opped on it.
bodhisattva of sweetness, lite, and moist since 2001; dave_of_daves, whisperer_of_catsups

Vince wrote:

d&c

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:35 pm

and now, NPR just said both camps say it's not a done deal quite yet.

it is a done deal. it's not a done deal. it is a done deal. it's not a done deal.

i think it is a done deal though.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby q5q » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 pm

i do too...unless someone has plans to get bill liquored up in a back room behind a tittie bar or something...

Vince wrote:

d&c

Blue Eyed Devil

Postby blueeyes_austin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:26 pm

LBJ once said it's better to have someone pissing out of your tent from inside than be outside pissing into your tent.

Of course a friend of mine who took that advice to heart ended up with someone inside the tent pissing, so there may be problems with its application as a universal rule.
"We shall cause a distortionary response in US fiscal policy! God is great! God is great!"--Electrolyte channeling the 9/11 hijackers

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:41 pm

truthfully, i'm having trouble not fantasizing about an 8 year Obama Presidency, followed by a Hillary! win as the first female President. she'll be 69 in 2016, and will be totally primed after her job as Secretary of State. by that time, hopefully people will again be ready for a seasoned politician, and the old Clinton WH years will be 2 decades behind at that point (and the troubled 2008 Presidential run will have been long forgotten also).

just a thought.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Piel! » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:23 am

BUNR TEH WHENCH!!!
The Blowkiest Bloek in the whole of Bleakdom

bark brak! bark barack karp! bark!

Stew Ingredient

Postby joeyramone » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:03 pm

well, it's official now. You can only wonder if these deal was cut in the early summer so that she wouldn't raise a fuss at the convention.
"Your fairy tale would sound better if two elves came out and did the Safety Dance at the end." Logg to Zaffer

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:28 pm

joeyramone wrote:well, it's official now. You can only wonder if these deal was cut in the early summer so that she wouldn't raise a fuss at the convention.

i don't see anything at all that would indicate that. Obama answered the question in his press conference about whether there was a "story", and he basically said there wasn't. he simply said after he won the primary he knew he wanted to find some way to utilize Hillary in his Administration if he won the Presidency.

i seriously doubt the ball was in her court on that.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby joeyramone » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:40 pm

as if he'd say "yeah, we cut a deal with her back then to get her from making a mess of the convention".

And now she gets a job that she's never actually really wanted, or had committee assignments for.

hmmm.
"Your fairy tale would sound better if two elves came out and did the Safety Dance at the end." Logg to Zaffer

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:25 pm

well, there doesn't have to have been a "deal" to know that it would serve Obama well to give Hillary as much prestige as possible -- either that or simply not use her.

marginalizing her in a low-power post just wouldn't sit well, and she probably wouldn't have accepted.

just because there may not have been a deal in the literal sense doesn't mean everyone involved didn't know what the elements in the game were.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:34 am

I would rather have the senate seat for life, then choose whats behind door #3.
Last edited by Agent009 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:39 am

i think Secty of State may present better odds as a path to the WH...
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:42 am

^ Her path to the white house ended at the bottom of some dank, dark, stairs a few months ago....
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:08 am

Agent009 wrote:^ Her path to the white house ended at the bottom of some dank, dark, stairs a few months ago....

i wouldn't be so sure about that...
_______ & _______ '16!

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:25 am

I wish it weren't so.

Previous

Return to US Presidential Election 2008