Should Hillary be Secretary of State?

Obama-Biden or McCain-Palin? Or Paul-Hulka?
Stew Ingredient

Should Hillary be Secretary of State?

Postby korgy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:30 pm

(i could've sworn i saw this on another thread, but now i can't find it.)

several sources are reporting that she is among those at the top of the list for Secretary of State.

i rather like the idea -- (after i get over the grossly hyperbolic stories she told about running for cover in Bosnia.) besides the fact that she is certainly qualified, i think she would be a great symbol of a better era in US international relations, while not being seen as merely a remnant of that former administration. and as sexist as it sounds, i like the idea of continuing that position with a woman's presence.

also, as many had noted, i agree it would be better to keep the Clintons on the inside -- as long as they don't go renegade.

ulitmately, i had hoped she would be some sort of Healthcare czar -- but i wonder if that would appease her and her supporters enough.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby foolsprogress » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Wasn't this the speculation around the time she didn't get the VP nod? I think she'd be good. It's a tough job and she has the balls for it. Either that or ambassador to the UN.
Let me live in a house by the side of the road...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Vince » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:46 pm

Why give jobs to your enemies. makes no sense.
"Do you ski?"
"Do I look like I can ski you fuckhead, I can barely walk."

Stew Ingredient

Postby foolsprogress » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:52 pm

Vince wrote:Why give jobs to your enemies. makes no sense.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
Let me live in a house by the side of the road...

Stew Ingredient

Postby tph24601 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:02 pm

for Obama, it would be better for him if Hillary is in his cabinet instead of Senate,

for Hillary, it's much better if she stays in the Senate, especially if she gets a major committee chairmanship (like Lieberman's Homland Security committee), who know, in 8 years if/when Harry Reid retires she can get the majority leader job....

Stew Ingredient

Postby Vince » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:03 pm

tph24601 wrote:for Obama, it would be better for him if Hillary is in his cabinet instead of Senate,

for Hillary, it's much better if she stays in the Senate, especially if she gets a major committee chairmanship (like Lieberman's Homland Security committee), who know, in 8 years if/when Harry Reid retires she can get the majority leader job....

can she run for Prez in 8 years?
"Do you ski?"

Stew Ingredient

Postby joeyramone » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:05 pm

She's not even on the foreign affairs committee, so i'm not sure she's a great pick for S of S. She'll stay in the Seante.

I'm still holding out for Chuck Hagel.
"Your fairy tale would sound better if two elves came out and did the Safety Dance at the end." Logg to Zaffer

Stew Ingredient

Postby Dagny » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Vince wrote:
tph24601 wrote:for Obama, it would be better for him if Hillary is in his cabinet instead of Senate,

can she run for Prez in 8 years?

Too old. She'll be 69.
Free Leonard!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Vince » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Thats no age for a woman
"Do you ski?"

Stew Ingredient

Postby Dagny » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:12 pm

A lot of ageism in US politics. She'd be at our upper limit.
Free Leonard!

Stew Ingredient

Postby tph24601 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:15 pm

joeyramone wrote:I'm still holding out for Chuck Hagel.

Chuck Hagel is an excellent choice for both Sec of State or Sec of Defense (if/when Gate leaves in a year).....

Stew Ingredient

Postby joeyramone » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:27 pm

tph24601 wrote:

Chuck Hagel is an excellent choice for both Sec of State or Sec of Defense (if/when Gate leaves in a year).....

Hillary in the cabinet would mean Bill in there as well, and i don't think barry wants two Clintons running his foreign policy, nor does Biden.

However, I still thing Bill as our ambassador to the Un would send a hell of a message to the world, plus it would be no sweat for Bill, as he'd still be based in NYC, and could now bang chicks of many nations.
"Your fairy tale would sound better if two elves came out and did the Safety Dance at the end." Logg to Zaffer

Stew Ingredient

Postby tph24601 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:30 pm

I still see Bill Richardson getting a major cabinet post too....

Stew Ingredient

Postby q5q » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:35 pm

joeyramone wrote:
tph24601 wrote:

Hillary in the cabinet would mean Bill in there as well, and i don't think barry wants two Clintons running his foreign policy, nor does Biden.

However, I still thing Bill as our ambassador to the Un would send a hell of a message to the world, plus it would be no sweat for Bill, as he'd still be based in NYC, and could now bang chicks of many nations.

degreed. hillary should stay in the senate; bill at the u.n. might work, not too sure.

hagel or dick lugar at state would work for repubs, sam nunn and lee hamilton for dems. any imho would be better than hillary.
bodhisattva of sweetness, lite, and moist since 2001; dave_of_daves, whisperer_of_catsups

Vince wrote:
I'm never angry except with q5q who is a despicable abortion.

d&c
arbour zena: keith jarrett, charlie haden, jan gabarek, stuttgart rad orc

Postby eric84 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Makes no sense for Hillary to be Secretary of State: a senate seat for life versus being a Sec of State for 4 years? She wouldn't be able to run for President in 2012 from inside the cabinet.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:41 pm

tph24601 wrote:I still see Bill Richardson getting a major cabinet post too....

would really love to see Richardson as Sect of State -- not sure if some would take him seriously though.

i think Hillary needs to be reckoned with somehow, but on the other hand, maybe fear of her going renegade is not enough reason to give her a post that close to the President.

where else could she fit in?
_______ & _______ '16!

Evil Overlord

Postby Right_Turn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 pm

i think Hillary needs to be reckoned with somehow

Why? She lost. He won. He doesn't need her for anything now.

Stew Ingredient

Postby q5q » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:16 pm

some of my dept of energy friends are hoping richardson will be back at d.o.e. i think they have a betting pool.
bodhisattva of sweetness, lite, and moist since 2001; dave_of_daves, whisperer_of_catsups

Vince wrote:

d&c

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Right_Turn wrote:
i think Hillary needs to be reckoned with somehow

Why? She lost. He won. He doesn't need her for anything now.

well, that was my argument with polar months and months ago when she was about to lose the primary. i agree with you, but if he wants to build a truly unique Presidency where he has included major divisive factions, he needs to think how she we fit -- from within or without.

i suppose i've come around to seeing polar's position a little.
_______ & _______ '16!

Evil Overlord

Postby Right_Turn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:50 pm

From a risk/reward standpoint, Obama is far better off keeping the junior Senator from New York in her current position. He really has nothing to gain by bringing her into his administration.

Stew Ingredient

Postby joeyramone » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:32 pm

NorthernLight wrote:Why would a former President have any interest in an Ambassadorship? even if it's to the UN? He'd be going from the Top Dog job to a post that has to report to someone else. Doesn't seem likely.

He's got enough going on to engage him anyway.

why not? as noted, he's already in New York, it wouldn't take up all his time, and it would send a real message to the world.

The ambassador to the UN isn't a regular ambassadorship.

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:34 pm

Plus, he could tap into that LBFM spigot I heard they have at the UN.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Blue Eyed Devil

Postby blueeyes_austin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:35 pm

She'd be foolish to accept and Obama would be foolish to offer.
"We shall cause a distortionary response in US fiscal policy! God is great! God is great!"--Electrolyte channeling the 9/11 hijackers

Hamburglar

Postby salmonid » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:38 pm

I had to google LBFM, and upon discovering the meaning, I agree that Bill Clinton would really be into the UN.

special sauce

Postby justinian » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:24 pm

Well, I certainly learned something new today.
The HOFF, people! Knight Fuckin' RIDER right in the reclining chair section!! -- nettie

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:37 pm

I hope you guys weren't at work.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:59 pm

I have no idea what "LBFM" brings up in google, but I'm guessing the folks who run Salmonid's patchouli collective would frown upon it.

Hamburglar

Postby salmonid » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:15 pm

My bosses are cool with little brown fuck machines. If I had still been working in the handmade soap division, I would've been screwed though.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Polardude » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:29 pm

She would be fine
Mali
"Aint that sweet. 3 kosher klown on one thread. Pity its not in a coffee bar in tel aviv. It would make an interesting target."

Stew Ingredient

Postby Vince » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:02 am

Polardude wrote:She would be fine

someone on another thread is suggesting giving Palin a job!. How about just giving jobs to allies and fuck everyone else - after all they're losers.
"Do you ski?"

Stew Ingredient

Postby Polardude » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:06 am

it's not uncommon to pull former rivals in yo corner.Kennedy and Johnson, Reagan and Bush both come to mind
Mali
"Aint that sweet. 3 kosher klown on one thread. Pity its not in a coffee bar in tel aviv. It would make an interesting target."

Stew Ingredient

Postby UrbanII » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:16 am

Right_Turn wrote:From a risk/reward standpoint, Obama is far better off keeping the junior Senator from New York in her current position. He really has nothing to gain by bringing her into his administration.

Absolutely right.
The Clinton and Bush dynasties are over and, to quote Shakespeare, a plague on both your houses.
Paul Revere's warning about the British invasion: "The Beatles are coming, The Beatles are coming!"

Stew Ingredient

Postby Vince » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:27 am

Polardude wrote:it's not uncommon to pull former rivals in yo corner.Kennedy and Johnson, Reagan and Bush both come to mind

Interesting. In the UK you're on the winning side or you're not - mind you all our political roles are elected (with the exception of the Business secretary Peter Mandleson who gave up his seat to go and work in Europe so had to be made a Lord to get a job in the cabinet)
"Do you ski?"

Stew Ingredient

Postby Polardude » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:32 am

Well I get the impressin tahthe wants cabinet memebers with varying views. He is not looking for yesmen
Mali

Stew Ingredient

Postby Vince » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:42 am

Polardude wrote:Well I get the impressin tahthe wants cabinet memebers with varying views. He is not looking for yesmen

You can pick allies who aren't yes men. People whose opinions you respect and whose loyalty you can reasonably expext. I though that was the adavantge of the the US system where your ministers are appointees rather than the UK system where they in many cases people with their own political support you have to accomodate due to their support in parliament.
"Do you ski?"

Stew Ingredient

Postby Polardude » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:52 am

You an appoint who you want, pending Senate confirmation. What I would find intesting is the mix of Sec of State/Defence National Security Advisor. There ahev been some clasic political rivalries between the 3 polsitions.
Mali

Stew Ingredient

Postby Vince » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:54 am

Polardude wrote:You an appoint who you want, pending Senate confirmation.

Thats doesn't address my point. Anyway I reckon he will pick his own people and not worry about this building bridges, broad church crap.
"Do you ski?"

Stew Ingredient

Postby Polardude » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:57 am

Hillery cold be a good ambassador for the US govt as she commands their respect
Mali

Stew Ingredient

Postby Vince » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:00 am

Polardude wrote:Hillery cold be a good ambassador for the US govt as she commands their respect

That makes no sense. She's a good ambassador if she comands others respect. presumably an ambassador commands his employers respect or why give them the job?
"Do you ski?"

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:49 am

I think it makes no sense,it doesn't play to her strengths
Funny that this story was leaked-the Obama campaign has been tight as a drum
The fact that it was leaked from from reputable unnamed sources (according to Andrea Mitchell) leads me to believe it is serious
I always thought she would make a great SCOTUS but apparently she doesn't want to do that
I wish she would take on Harry Reid's job
he seems to have a scrotal deficiency
If Hillary is not named it would get her diehard fans outraged all over again...
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:50 am

justinian wrote:Well, I certainly learned something new today.

ditto
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:55 am

Vince wrote:
Polardude wrote:She would be fine

someone on another thread is suggesting giving Palin a job!. How about just giving jobs to allies and fuck everyone else - after all they're losers.

giving jobs to qualified pros who are experts that may disagree with you and therefore bring something to the table is one thing is one thing. handing out jobs to totally unqualified go-getters is just scary.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:59 am

judik wrote:If Hillary is not named it would get her diehard fans outraged all over again...

i was thinking the same thing while watching CNN's taglines about this topic blasting all over the TV tonight. they've already made it a major issue. it's like he doesn't have choice.
_______ & _______ '16!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:09 am

Obamaniac wrote:as sexist as it sounds

From you Korky? Sexist?

Anyway, I can't imagine why you'd want the messiah to give that "wench" any sort of position of prominence.
A Straylian wit on the presidential election wrote: You've gone from chimp to orangutan in your evolutionary political process. I hope to live long enough to witness the rise of homo sensibilus in Amerikkka.

Stew Ingredient

Postby q5q » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:16 am

I wish she would take on Harry Reid's job
he seems to have a scrotal deficiency

degreed.

Vince wrote:

d&c

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:17 am

I don't think Hillary would be an especially good SoS. It'll piss me off if she gets the nod due to the fact that the electorate seems to recognize her (her greatest asset, imo).

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:39 am

section8 wrote:I don't think Hillary would be an especially good SoS. It'll piss me off if she gets the nod due to the fact that the electorate seems to recognize her (her greatest asset, imo).

it's not just the electorate, it's the whole world that recognizes her.
_______ & _______ '16!

Next

Return to US Presidential Election 2008