Franken leading in Minnesota?

Obama-Biden or McCain-Palin? Or Paul-Hulka?
Stew Ingredient

Postby AussieBob » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:08 pm

Felix wrote:I'm an independent who usually votes Democrat.

Yeah, a democrat then. Just prove that the average democrat s not so bright, if anyone is a shining example of why democrats are not that bright, it is someone who paid a mexican 'girlfriend' to come over and dump him.
Collateral Knowledge: I hope you lose your legs in a car bomb.

arrogant Yankee cokehead

Postby Felix » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:15 pm

AussieBob wrote:

Yeah, a democrat then. Just prove that the average democrat s not so bright, if anyone is a shining example of why democrats are not that bright, it is someone who paid a mexican 'girlfriend' to come over and dump him.

Are you drunk, Blob? It's just after ten o'clock in Britain - is your 'wife' with you right now, trying to calm you down?

Anyhoo, soon I'll log off from work, and enjoy my Friday night. You will remain fat, drunk, and stupid, Dave, and a non-voting subject of the US. Too bad.
Cherman humor: ha! because your father hates you, you have no one to fuck, you can't afford health care, you have nothing but this board, you pretend to have cancer, you are a racist pig, you are stupid, you are a bloody fuckface...

Stew Ingredient

Postby AussieBob » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:52 pm

Felix wrote:
AussieBob wrote:

Are you drunk, Blob? It's just after ten o'clock in Britain - is your 'wife' with you right now, trying to calm you down?

Anyhoo, soon I'll log off from work, and enjoy my Friday night. You will remain fat, drunk, and stupid, Dave, and a non-voting subject of the US. Too bad.

Ah bless, when was the last time you enjoyed your life or even a night out? You have started your night getting angry and snitty at me, that will fester for the night and you will go home angry, on your own. I love laughing at your life.
Collateral Knowledge: I hope you lose your legs in a car bomb.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:05 pm

difference of 120 now!

http://ww2.startribune.com/news/metro/e ... senco.html

so, no one knows what will happen in the Senate if this thing drags out legally into the Senate sessions?
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:26 pm

upps...

180 now...some of those challenged votes must have worked out for Coleman... i think 68% of precincts in is the same number i saw yeatserday
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:16 pm

weird -- now its at a 187 vote difference, even though no more precincts have been counted.

Coleman seems to be doing one heck of a series of challenges.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Postby Espina » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:08 pm

...Franken is also doing about the same on the challenges. But I'm not sure if there is a concerted strategy on the GOP's part to gain PR points by making the recount outcome close to the verified vote total. And then they could claim that the arbitration was biased if they lose on the challenges.

It seems to me that all Minnesota officials want a fair outcome that best serves the Minnesota voters in contrast to the Florida 2000 presidential scam.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:50 pm

amazingly, the recount is now coming close to the spread before the recount began -- 198 votes apart, w/ 70% of the precincts in. (i think the spread before the recount was 204)

"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:51 am

Apparently Nate Silver has predicted that Franken will with some 20 odd votes :shock:
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:34 am

well, with 70% of the votes recounted, it's now back to a 210 Coleman lead. Franken has to come up with about 240 votes in the last 30% to make Silver's prediction correct.

i hope he does.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Postby Espina » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:46 am

...Silver's prediction includes challenged ballots.

I think each side has a pretty good idea how the challenges will go.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:49 pm

now at 218 apart with 78% in. umm.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

arrogant Yankee cokehead

Postby Felix » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:52 pm

If Franken somehow walks away from this Senator, his office forever be under a cloud of illegitimacy. Coleman, who will almost surely retain his office, won't have it much better.
Cherman humor: ha! because your father hates you, you have no one to fuck, you can't afford health care, you have nothing but this board, you pretend to have cancer, you are a racist pig, you are stupid, you are a bloody fuckface...

Postby eric84 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:56 pm

Illegitimacy didn't particularly bother Bush......Coleman has that other scandal brewing so it might be fun to him back and watch that all unfold.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

arrogant Yankee cokehead

Postby Felix » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Coleman has so many sexual skeletons in his closet.

playing outside

Postby i_have_shiny_shoes » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:26 am

Felix wrote:Coleman has so many sexual skeletons in his closet.

I thought necrophilia would prevent someone running for office? *

* I'll just get my coat.
we're discussing it, so it's not secret.

playing outside

Postby i_have_shiny_shoes » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:27 am

judik wrote:Apparently Nate Silver has predicted that Franken will with some 20 odd votes :shock:

So did I.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:50 am

it's ok, IHSS, we won't jump all over you for your bizarre, perverse and totally thoughtless comment. i mean, if the notion of fucking dead people is funny to you, that's your prerogative. it's really not that big a deal -- especially since Norm Coleman is not your hero.
Last edited by korgy on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:03 am

I thought the comment about necrophilia in relation to skeletons was pretty damned funny
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

arrogant Yankee cokehead

Postby Felix » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:46 am

How can you think about funny while the recount is on, judik???!!! HOW??

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:48 pm

it's ok, IHSS, we won't jump all over you for your bizarre, perverse and totally thoughtless comment. i mean, if the notion of fucking dead people is funny to you, that's your prerogative. it's really not that big a deal -- especially since Norm Coleman is not your hero.

judi wrote:I thought the comment about necrophilia in relation to skeletons was pretty damned funny

well, judi, i guess it is possible that you were out sick the day they taught irony.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Hard to tell with you korgy
Are you being funny? Sarcastic?
Earnestly humorless?

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:00 pm

clearly it was sexist.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby pauldeba » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm

More evidence that korgy isn't allowed to be sarcastic without everyone jumping all over him viciously while most other posters are given a free pass. I have to say as much as I disagree with korgy, I despise hypocrisy more than those whose ideas I dislike but tolerate.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:56 am

not looking good for Franken. down by 282, with 88% in.

anyone understand how the "challenges" fit into all this? have they been dealt with yet?
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby SeamusMcCool » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:08 pm

i_have_shiny_shoes wrote:
Felix wrote:Coleman has so many sexual skeletons in his closet.

I thought necrophilia would prevent someone running for office? *

* I'll just get my coat.

LMAO

Well done, sir.
"I'd stumbled into the middle of an evil, insidious cult of chainsaw worshipping maniacs. I had to wonder if we'd let our religious freedom go too far in this country, or maybe our immigration laws were just too lax."

Stew Ingredient

Postby joeyramone » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:16 pm

pauldeba wrote:More evidence that korgy isn't allowed to be sarcastic without everyone jumping all over him viciously while most other posters are given a free pass. I have to say as much as I disagree with korgy, I despise hypocrisy more than those whose ideas I dislike but tolerate.

You mean like posters who use the name "Hussein Obama", yet claim that they aren't being racist by doing so?
"Your fairy tale would sound better if two elves came out and did the Safety Dance at the end." Logg to Zaffer

Stew Ingredient

Postby methuselah » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:53 pm

Who in the hell is the dumb moderator who put this thread in the "US Presidential Election 2008"?

Franken and Coleman are not running for President.

Dumb shit.
If you look out your window as the sun's going down, I'll be there by the side of the road, And I'll ride you away from the dirty down town, An ne'er again leave you alone
T-Bone Burnett

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:28 pm

it wasn't moved here, i posted it here.

i chose to post it here because the US Senate elections were part of the same November 4th elections that included the US Presidential election. and the question of how large the Senate majority is going to be is related to the issue of the change from a Republican Administration to a Democratic one, and what both of those will mean together.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:15 am

The Star Tribune now has a great interactive feature where viewers can look at actual sample challenged ballots (599 posted) , and even vote online on which way they think the vote was intended to go.

[you have to register (free) with the Tribune's website with a username, which is a bit tedious, but no different than most other major online news orgs.]

it's worth it if you're really interested in this race. of the six ballots i looked at so far, there was absolutely no question which way the voter intended to go, with the exception of one ballot. the errors were simply VERY minor technicalities (like a dot was accidently placed in the oval beside one candidate, while the oval beside the intended candidate was clearly and thoroughly filled in; or the way in which an oval was filled in was slightly sketchy).

the one ballot i saw that was the exception showed this: an oval filled in, with an "X" marked over it; the other oval was not filled in at all. that ballot should obviously not be counted at all.

i can't imagine how almost of these ballots could have any questions at all over how their votes were intended; or if they do, that it wouldn't be obvious that the ballot should just be tossed (as in the one i just described).

http://senaterecount.startribune.com/
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:21 am

on second thought, now that i look at more ballots, the problem with the "X" plus the filled-in oval on top of each other is recurrent. i now see what the problem was: the voter first marked an "X", and then realized he/she had to color in the oval as well.

but then, on other ballots, the "X" was used after the voter realized he/she had filled in the wrong oval --they "X"ed their first oval, then filled in another oval with no "X" on top.

the use of "X"s gets rather confusing.

well, i guess it's not so simple after all...i don't see how we could count these ballots.

uggh.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:35 pm

with 89% counted, Coleman leads by 270. and Franken lost a court battle about absentee ballots last week (not sure what the details of the case were on that).
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:50 pm

Coleman up by 340.

not sure when they are going to review the challenged ballots. but with the court ruling against Franken over the discarded absentee ballots, fivethirtyeight is now giving the odds slightly to Coleman - unless Franken can get the discarded absentees ruling overturned.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Postby Espina » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:34 pm

...Some of the challanges, as noted earlier, are no more than a political stunt by the GOP to make the recount seems pointless. Both sides know the rules on the challenges and the actual difference, after challenges, is about 87 in Coleman's favor.

I would surmise that if in the final count, Franken gets really close, that the GOP will spuriously challenge every remaining ballot as an obfuscating tactic.

playing outside

Postby i_have_shiny_shoes » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:53 am

If my reading/calculations are correct, the tally is now down to the low double digits (10-15) in favour of Coleman with just over 7% of ballots remaining to be counted.

I still think Franken by 26.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:26 pm

i_have_shiny_shoes wrote:If my reading/calculations are correct, the tally is now down to the low double digits (10-15) in favour of Coleman with just over 7% of ballots remaining to be counted.

I still think Franken by 26.

there has apparently been some good news for Franken, as certain counties have been instructed to explain their rejected absentee ballots, in addition the fact that a pro-Dem area just found some uncounted ballots.

but where are you getting the information that the recount without absentees and challenged ballots is down to 15? i read that the Franken camp says so, but i haven't seen any tally on that.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Postby Espina » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:44 pm

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/12/franken_camps_claim_were_now_a.php

It's to the GOP's benefit to not make any comments except to infer that partisan politics stole/are stealing the election.

I'm not sure why news sources are not giving out estimates on the challenged ballots other than perhaps they don't have copies of all of them and the Franken team may release challenges on about 600 ballots.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:07 pm

thanks Espina. i've been reading TPM on this occasionally, but they are basically just reporting that Franken's lawyer says Franken is leading. there is no link to any breakdown of how that works...
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:28 am

looks like all the ballots have been reworked, with Coleman leading by 192. i guess we're waiting for the challenges, lawsuits., etc.

apparently a missing envelope from Minneapolis that favored Franken has not been found, and the search is off.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Mindulge » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:09 pm

mutha is fixing

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:45 pm

well, that will be pretty fucked up if Coleman ends up winning and brings this mess to the Senate.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:06 pm

live coverage here of the Minnesota Canvassing Board (for Senate race junkies like myself):

http://theuptake.org/en/

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:35 pm

canvassing board is now recommending that all counties review their rejected absentee ballots. however, they agreed that they do not have the authority to order the absentee review.

in spirit, this is good news for Franken i think, but again, the board cannot order the absentee review -- they can only recommend it.

Postby eric84 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Sounds like this may tip the result to Franken. What an exhaustive process.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Mindulge » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:19 am

I didn't know this:

From a Senate Wife, an Off-the-Wall Hair Idea

By Robin Givhan

Laurie Coleman, wife of Republican Sen. Norm Coleman, has invented a tool for hands-free hair drying called the "Blo & Go."

Anyone who has ever tried to style his or her hair by wielding a blow-dryer in one hand and a brush in the other knows that it can be an exasperating juggling act. The challenge of an at-home blowout is what inspired Coleman to invent the Blo & Go, a hair-dryer holster.

For years, Coleman had been jury-rigging wire coat hangers into holders for her blow-dryer so she could use both hands to style her hair. "You go on a trip with senators and you have 45 minutes and you have to be ready to go," says Coleman, who doesn't have the luxury of traveling with a hairstylist. "Norm's not going to blow-dry my hair."

Her makeshift holsters were awkward, but they worked. That led a friend, Anthony Turk, who is now her business partner, to encourage her to develop and manufacture the device. It took four years of working with a product designer, but you can now get a Blo & Go for $19.99.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 42_pf.html

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:12 pm

cool - thanks mindulge!

Blo 'n Go:

Stew Ingredient

Postby tph24601 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:07 am

"Blo & Go."

that's what Larry Craig thought he can do in Minneapolis airport....

Stew Ingredient

Postby Mindulge » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:26 am

Supreme Court to hear absentee ballot arguments Wednesday
by Mark Zdechlik, Minnesota Public Radio
December 15, 2008

Republican Sen. Norm Coleman's campaign today asked the Minnesota Supreme Court to issue an emergency order banning county election officials from opening any rejected absentee ballots. The court has scheduled a hearing on the issue for Wednesday. The Franken campaign accuses the Coleman side of trying to keep wrongly rejected ballots from being included in the recount.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... nt_update/

Postby Espina » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:49 am

...in Florida 2000, improperly signed and filled in absentee ballots were filled in and accepted by local registrars with the acquiescence of the democrats.

Franken has a good point though, as the recount is to correct any mistakes on all ballots, shouldn't absentee ballots that , although unopened, but improperly rejected be reviewed in the recount also??

The point of the election is to serve the majority interest of the Minn voters and disenfranchising absentee voters because of a clerical error would appear to miss this intent.

PreviousNext

Return to US Presidential Election 2008