Franken leading in Minnesota?

Obama-Biden or McCain-Palin? Or Paul-Hulka?
Stew Ingredient

Postby tph24601 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:07 am

Franken has a good point though, as the recount is to correct any mistakes on all ballots, shouldn't absentee ballots that , although unopened, but improperly rejected be reviewed in the recount also??

yeap, if they are going to the trouble of state-wide recounting, why shouldn't they recount and review absentee ballots too?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Mindulge » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:50 am

mutha is fixing

Postby eric84 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:02 pm

Fascinating to watch the panel go through the challenged ballots. Pretty clear the Coleman people challenged a lot of ballots for frivolous reasons that are getting rejected out of hand; Franken will be ahead by the end of today I'm guessing. A fairly blatant strategy by Coleman to appear that they're ahead, swaying public opinion in their favour and to make it appear that the election is getting stolen from them when they lose.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 pm

fascinating indeed. had no idea you could actually watch them decide on each ballot HERE:

http://theuptake.org/en/

it really does look like most of Coleman's challenges are bullshit.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:20 pm

wow.

Coleman's lawyer, Trimble, is claiming that some of the ballots are being recounted twice -- based on some having originals and duplicates, or something like that.

sounds really messy, and no way to get to the bottom consistently.

sounds like he's just trying to throw a wrench in the whole process, unnecessarily. and, as Franken's lawyer says, the board runs to risk of disenfranchising hundreds or thousands of Minnesotans to find one or two posssible dupilcately counted votes.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:31 pm

Trimble's argument is inappropriate anyway. it is not up to the MN election board to question the ballot packages that have been signed off and given to them -- if ballots were counted twice, it's up to the local election officials to decide that before they sign them off and present them to the state election board.

Coleman is really trying to stall losing.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Mindulge » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:46 am

korgy wrote:Coleman is really trying to stall losing.

Don't say stall when talking about Minnesota!

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:07 am

:)

playing outside

Postby i_have_shiny_shoes » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:25 am

I'm still on for Franken winning by a mid-twenties margin. Awesome.
we're discussing it, so it's not secret.

Postby eric84 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:31 pm

Franken has a margin of 174 votes. My favourite ballot challenge by Coleman was someone who clearly voted for Franken and then wrote, 'thank you for counting my vote.'
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:31 pm

interesting how many ballots challenged by Coleman are none other than a case where the voter X'd the oval first, then colored it in properly. no indication of overvoting and no question of confused intent.

wow. some of the ballots have no ovals! printing error, the voter didn't know what to do -- they colored in beside the name....

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:44 pm

i_have_shiny_shoes wrote:I'm still on for Franken winning by a mid-twenties margin. Awesome.

eric wrote:Franken has a margin of 174 votes. My favourite ballot challenge by Coleman was someone who clearly voted for Franken and then wrote, 'thank you for counting my vote.'

yeah. moving up fast by the minute. Franken lead now up to 207. some of these Coleman challenges have absolutely no question but that the voter intended to vote for Franken -- not even a fill-in error. what a waste of taxpayer money. the board is even starting make jokes about it.

i wonder how hard Coleman will push this "duplicate recount" theory.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:26 pm

sad -- a lot of overseas voters ID'd their ballots by writing their name or passsport number on it, which is not supposed to be allowable according to the pre-ordained rules. the voters were simply trying to insure their votes were valid, and ended up invalidating them. those ballots won't be counted.

i think the reasoning, when that clause was written, was to prevent people from IDing their ballots fraudulantly.

hard to say which candidate this benefits.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:15 pm

i guess i spoke too soon about the Coleman challenges. some of the Franken ones are just as silly.

Franken lead going down now.. still in double digits.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Mindulge » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:26 pm

MSNBC now reporting Franken has taken the lead.

But a final count may not come until January.

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Postby Espina » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:52 am

...I think both teams have a pretty good idea where they stand as they both knew & counted what they thought would be the outcome of their challenges during the recount.

Hence, the Coleman moves to disallow legitimate uncounted absentee ballots, infer that legitimate machine mangled replacement ballots are duplicates, and to not count the missing ballot packet, all point towards the Coleman team feeling that they do not have enough votes to eek out a victory.

Stew Ingredient

Re: Franken leading in Minnesota?

Postby Mindulge » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:14 am

Franken leads, but fighting lingers in Minnesota recount

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) -- Democrat Al Franken maintained his slim lead of 50 votes Tuesday in the race for a Minnesota Senate seat.

Minnesota Secretary of State Mark Ritchie and the state canvassing board allocated the remainder of about 6,000 ballots that had, at one point or another, been challenged by both campaigns.

"If there are any nits to be picked, they've been picked," board member and Minnesota Supreme Court Chief Justice Eric Magnuson said as the board adjourned.

In a statement, Franken said, "As it appears that we're on track to win, I want Minnesotans to know that I'm ready to get to work for them in Washington on day one."

Tony Trimble, campaign attorney for Republican incumbent Sen. Norm Coleman, called Franken's lead "artificial."

The process is far from over. The battle over which absentee ballots should be included in the mix has the makings of a brutal fight.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/30/ ... a.recount/

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Postby Espina » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:51 am

Next up: The courts!!!

After adding in about 900 wrongly disqualified absentee ballots, Franken leads by about 250, up from his previous lead of about 49.

Anyhow, Coleman will challenge in the courts thee things: The alleged duplicate ballots (about 100), absentee ballots that the candidates couldn't agree to include(about 600), and the missing packet of ballots (130). I'm not sure even if the courts rule in Colman's favor that he will have enough votes to win.

Postby eric84 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:22 pm

I guess Normie didn't move fast enough on tort reform......

Previous

Return to US Presidential Election 2008