RIP foolsprogress

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

Re: RIP foolsprogress

Postby birdlite » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:03 am

I didn't see this sticky earlier. I am devastated.

I loved and respected his posts, even in disagreement. His intelligence, opinions, and storytelling added depth much to this place, and I enjoyed watching him handle, with wit and ease, some of the more nasty characters around here.

I am so sorry for your loss, Debra. If we are devastated from this distance, I can't imagine the impact on you, his family, his close friends.

We were lucky to know our own Ed Abby. we were happy for him to stir the pot, every once in a while.

“Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum floats to the top.”
-Edward Abbey

Stew Ingredient
Location: Bay Area -- SF, CA (Don't even think of calling it 'Frisco.')

Postby Wilster » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:09 am

2wilzgood wrote:It isn't death, it's the timing.

Interesting, I haven't really looked at it that way per se given my circumstance, and as with my brother, it was always an untimely death or out of order (my brother died before our parents) death.

Wow, incredible, Fools (KC) is gone. Never would have thought this way. Kudos to Deb for reaching out. KC did talk about Deb (not by name), but as his ex with no wincing or regret or negativity. He cherished his kids and loved them deeply; you could just tell when he talked about them. And how we talked about them was their education and how they would probably go to N. America or somewhere outside of Cambodia for higher education, namely university. He also loved his wife; she was Vietnamese and one of the best posts I remember him posting here was about the wedding he went to in Vietnam of his wife's extended family.

KC hadn't been posting in a while and I was heading to Cambodia on the way to China (go figure). Moe was kind enough to "stalk him down" on another website to say there was a PM for him here (thanks for that Moe). We email and text (in country) and agree to meet at a riverside bar (forget the name, but it was kind of the journalist hangout--no, not the Foreign Correspondence one). I arrive via motorcycle, KC running late. I meet Andy, knock back a few. KC shows up, I know it's him, he knows it's me. KC leans over and says something like, if we hang here you will get an interesting perspective on things. One of the things I got was one of the founders of The Cambodia Daily; he was retiring or handing the reigns over. Of course it was interesting, Andy still in tow (he had kind of a managerial roll at the bar), these guys (KC included) we founders of expat living in Cambodia when they arrived and stayed, and when it was "rough."

KC knows many if not all at the table (Andy of course too), but it's been a while; they are like, hey, haven't seen you in a while, what have you been doing, etc. Life goes on outside of an expat bar...really? Yep, just ask KC with his business, wife, kids, et al. KC wasn't so much cerebral, but could say a lot in conversation without too much ballast. Even writing, he wasn't verbose, but had a lot to say--many have seen that here. He knew when to say something and when to shut the fuck up; I don't always have that filter. I tended to follow his lead and keep my mouth shut for the most part.

KC was kind enough to move on (along with Andy) and take me with him. We ended up at the Zep after trying to score on the street (hey Deb, it's legal here in CA now):

http://www.politicalstew.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=146567&hilit=wilster+lit

We get to the Zep, KC comfortable at the bar, me reaching out, talking to the DJ (and this is a vinyl turning DJ, old school--nothing like it in the world--just make a request) and anyone else that will listen (to me).

We move on again (KC, Andy, and me). Now a buddy's of KC's bar. Drinks ordered, other things consumed, the pool table. A not too far off comfort zone of where I've been many times. I turn around after a shot at the pool table, KC is gone in a poof! *sad* It's late, late, late...Andy still here. I gotta go--jetlag, booze, and other catching up with me; Andy dumps me on a motorcycle to get me "home."

I'm gone the day after, thanks KC for an "interesting" night. Would love to have talked to you more one on one.

I texted him tonight (from my contacts): RIP internet brother:

My moniker is Wilster. How is my posting? If you no like, write suggestions down intelligibly on paper and then...burn it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby The_Macedonian » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:20 am

Very sorry to learn of this. He was one of the good guys. RIP.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Fritz101 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:11 am

I met Ken twice in Phnom Penh in 2004 and 2005. He was a great guy who would give me info on travel and other things Cambodian. This doesn't seem real.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Shavenhead » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:15 am

RIP

Enjoy the great gig in the sky.
Darkness is good.

Stew Ingredient

Postby The Mallard Missie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:33 am

I have no idea if foolsprogress was a fan of this lady, but I hope nobody minds if I post it and dedicate it to him:

:cry:

Stew Ingredient

Postby RichD » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:52 am

RIP.
Dog bless us!

Stew Ingredient

Postby flojin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:24 pm

That really hurts. He will be missed.
Maxwell wrote:Tell me why I should care about ethics when the democrats don't.

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Wilster wrote:
2wilzgood wrote:It isn't death, it's the timing.

Interesting, I haven't really looked at it that way per se given my circumstance, and as with my brother, it was always an untimely death or out of order (my brother died before our parents) death.

Wow, incredible, Fools (KC) is gone. Never would have thought this way. Kudos to Deb for reaching out. KC did talk about Deb (not by name), but as his ex with no wincing or regret or negativity. He cherished his kids and loved them deeply; you could just tell when he talked about them. And how we talked about them was their education and how they would probably go to N. America or somewhere outside of Cambodia for higher education, namely university. He also loved his wife; she was Vietnamese and one of the best posts I remember him posting here was about the wedding he went to in Vietnam of his wife's extended family.

KC hadn't been posting in a while and I was heading to Cambodia on the way to China (go figure). Moe was kind enough to "stalk him down" on another website to say there was a PM for him here (thanks for that Moe). We email and text (in country) and agree to meet at a riverside bar (forget the name, but it was kind of the journalist hangout--no, not the Foreign Correspondence one). I arrive via motorcycle, KC running late. I meet Andy, knock back a few. KC shows up, I know it's him, he knows it's me. KC leans over and says something like, if we hang here you will get an interesting perspective on things. One of the things I got was one of the founders of The Cambodia Daily; he was retiring or handing the reigns over. Of course it was interesting, Andy still in tow (he had kind of a managerial roll at the bar), these guys (KC included) we founders of expat living in Cambodia when they arrived and stayed, and when it was "rough."

KC knows many if not all at the table (Andy of course too), but it's been a while; they are like, hey, haven't seen you in a while, what have you been doing, etc. Life goes on outside of an expat bar...really? Yep, just ask KC with his business, wife, kids, et al. KC wasn't so much cerebral, but could say a lot in conversation without too much ballast. Even writing, he wasn't verbose, but had a lot to say--many have seen that here. He knew when to say something and when to shut the fuck up; I don't always have that filter. I tended to follow his lead and keep my mouth shut for the most part.

KC was kind enough to move on (along with Andy) and take me with him. We ended up at the Zep after trying to score on the street (hey Deb, it's legal here in CA now):

http://www.politicalstew.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=146567&hilit=wilster+lit

We get to the Zep, KC comfortable at the bar, me reaching out, talking to the DJ (and this is a vinyl turning DJ, old school--nothing like it in the world--just make a request) and anyone else that will listen (to me).

We move on again (KC, Andy, and me). Now a buddy's of KC's bar. Drinks ordered, other things consumed, the pool table. A not too far off comfort zone of where I've been many times. I turn around after a shot at the pool table, KC is gone in a poof! *sad* It's late, late, late...Andy still here. I gotta go--jetlag, booze, and other catching up with me; Andy dumps me on a motorcycle to get me "home."

I'm gone the day after, thanks KC for an "interesting" night. Would love to have talked to you more one on one.

I texted him tonight (from my contacts): RIP internet brother:

I really enjoyed reading this. It was exactly how Ken spent many of his nights. I know all about the place with the vinyls. I live in Oregon, so hey! It's legal here too. In one of my most recent conversations with Ken, we were having a great deal of pleasure talking about that very issue. He was fascinated with my descriptions of various shops up and down 99e, a street he was well familiar with.

His service will be at his friend's bar in P Penh. Currently, I think it will be on the 19th, but will most certainly write again with more specifics in case any of you are going to be in P Penh during that week. His service is being handled by Adam (first names only here, for respect to privacy) and Brian, owner of the fateful boat from which he fell. The whole expat community--and many, many Cambodian people who loved him--is in tatters. He had built a large and very successful business, and I am hoping that I can lend some assistance when I get there.

His beloved family stateside is working overtime to take care of issues related to Christmas and the kids. I will be santa's sleigh, arriving in Cambodia on the 18th with a big suitcase loaded down with simple gifts. Praying that the airport staff stay the hell out of my luggage. I know it's better than it used to be, but I'm very cynical for good reason in that regard.

His daughter and I are close, and we talk every day via messaging. I am the rock. I will be the rock.

Love to all, and watch for updates. FP's brothers are wonderful people, with families and houses and education and great empathy. We are well-equipped to look after FP's interests, with love and good intention.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Annotated » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:40 pm

It's nice that he has family to step in and help. As he mentioned in his post, he worried about leaving his kids behind. Of course nothing replaces a father, but at least it sounds like the situation is much better than it would have been without people stepping up to help.
Fuck the Founding Fathers. There's a new daddy in town!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:38 pm

I cried when I saw this the other night. I haven't cried since my dog died, and I never even met the man. He was just my internet ally on Libertarian politics.

Death? Death sucks.

So long, fools.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Stew Ingredient

Postby veronica_inheels » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:53 pm

RIP foolsprogress.

hard and devastating for his loved ones. thank you deb for letting us know what happened.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:28 pm

A great poster who will be mi55ed...
Quality posts can be hard to find, this place, and the world lost a great voice.

Best wishes to family and friends.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Stew Ingredient

Postby Peelerboy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:55 am

Greeting fellow stewies. First time poster to this rather incredible website and accompanying crew. My name is Dale. I am fool's (Ken's) youngest brother. I was made privy to your site by Deb, bless her heart. Not just for the heads up to your seemingly endless appreciation of my big brother's sage & insightful words, but for everything she has done to help my family (and Ken's surviving family) through this strange, sad time.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted here, sharing your kind thoughts, memories, and obvious love for my big brother. I'm in the midst of an exceptionally painful experience right now because of Ken's surprise departure, but this thread is so heart warming. Thank you, thank you, and thank you again for this beautiful thread.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Peelerboy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:15 am

Trying to share the only pic I have on my phone of Ken with his two brothers here. Tracy on the left (3 years younger than Ken), Ken in the middle, and me (4 years younger than Ken) on the right. This picture was taken the day Ken married Deb in Oregon. It was an especially merry day on a lot of levels.
Attachments
IMG_7946.JPG
IMG_7946.JPG (161.67 KiB) Viewed 1626 times

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:20 am

Big hug to you, Dale. Thank you for joining us and sharing your thoughts.

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:24 am

Peelerboy wrote:Greeting fellow stewies. First time poster to this rather incredible website and accompanying crew. My name is Dale. I am fool's (Ken's) youngest brother. I was made privy to your site by Deb, bless her heart. Not just for the heads up to your seemingly endless appreciation of my big brother's sage & insightful words, but for everything she has done to help my family (and Ken's surviving family) through this strange, sad time.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted here, sharing your kind thoughts, memories, and obvious love for my big brother. I'm in the midst of an exceptionally painful experience right now because of Ken's surprise departure, but this thread is so heart warming. Thank you, thank you, and thank you again for this beautiful thread.

You and your brother, and your baby brother have always been logical, intelligent, and humorous people. I was just realizing how glad I am that I still have you. It's a huge relief. Now if I could just stop the tears. Today I was in the local grocery store--my husband made me brush my hair (getting dredlocks from all this stuff with FP) and go shopping--when suddenly, there it was....

A dragonfruit.

Suddenly, it was 1994. FP and I were in Na Trang, Vietnam. We were sitting under a frangipani tree, eating Dragonfruit for the very first time...I fell in love with it, and we were both quite taken with the smooth white texture and tiny black seeds. It was a hot day, and across from us was the beautiful ocean. I was 34. He was 37. And the world was our oyster!

I just was lost in the moment, and then began to cry. Thank God my current husband understands that I never stopped loving FP--he knows that the relationship was just that way. No jealousy. He led me away, clutching my dragonfruit like a child with a cookie.

Stew Ingredient

Postby StanDeManII » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:27 am

Sad news. I havn't been on in a while because of dealing with similar situations with such tragedies with people I know.....family members flying in from abroad to get closure and to put together final moments. But more importantly I think wanting to leave with a positive feeling and knowing that their loved ones were surrounded by good friends and family until the end.
I didn't know him of course but sounds like he must have lived an adventurous life and amongst friends and family.....my condolences to he and his peeps.....and that they carry back with them the adventurous stories of his life abroad.
Godjira:
Imagine? This cheap ass prick tries to stuff one of his overside dumps down the toilet,then the toilet floods,causing a rain of Stan-Stool beer vomit and water over the elderly couple downstairs.. and then charge for his substandard work.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:34 am

Thank you both, Deb and Dale for posting here and giving us a bit more of Fools. Loss is so difficult and it's been really comforting, for lack of a better word, to have both of you telling us a bit more about his life and your obvious love and respect for him.

We are a bit of an odd community here. Many of us have met and many of us haven't but most of us have 'known' each other for over a decade, often with daily discussions about very personal issues as well as the mundane.

Thank you and again, I am very sorry for your loss. Please stick around her for as long as you want and also feel free to leave when or if you feel you need to do that as well.

XXOO
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:41 am

northern_goddess wrote:Thank you both, Deb and Dale for posting here and giving us a bit more of Fools. Loss is so difficult and it's been really comforting, for lack of a better word, to have both of you telling us a bit more about his life and your obvious love and respect for him.

We are a bit of an odd community here. Many of us have met and many of us haven't but most of us have 'known' each other for over a decade, often with daily discussions about very personal issues as well as the mundane.

Thank you and again, I am very sorry for your loss. Please stick around her for as long as you want and also feel free to leave when or if you feel you need to do that as well.

XXOO

Thank you so much for welcoming us both. I will be here for a long time, taking comfort from all the posts I can read that he participated in.

Oddly, he told me about being on this forum again. He was really enjoying it. It's how I found my way here, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

We were always very close, fp and I. It's like we just knew.

--I suddenly found a krama (Khmer scarf) here in the states, and began wearing it two weeks ago.
--In the summer, I began writing him longer and longer notes, reminiscing fondly, sending him photos, complimenting him on his life.
--We talked travel--all the time. When I was departing for the UK, I wrote him to tell him where two of his prized possessions were in my house, in case the plane went down (just looking out for him).
--We talked for hours on the phone, just last week. I told him I loved him. He told me he loved me. It was normal, but it felt different in a way I can't explain.

Maybe I'm just so emotionally upside down I am looking at things with the middle eye, but I can't help but feel that somewhere out there, in a place we can't see or understand, the cosmos conspired to give us some closure, and to prepare me to sweep up some of his very, very interesting corners. So I will be here to take some comfort off and on for a while, and I promise I won't keep losing it in his thread.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Wilster » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:16 am

Deb and Dale, welcome (and I think KC would want you two to stay if it was a "fit" for you). This place (Moe would write, "dump") can get C-c-c-c-razy and I'm the most sane person here. :wink: It's kind of old skool in a way for a forum (and Muthafunky has the keys to this dungeon) but a "social media" outlet for many; for me for sure--I don't do Facebook, Instagram, et al like my kids and wife (Ms. Wilster does post here under "suck_it_up," many know her here) do, so this board is stuck with me. There are a number of posters here, Ms. Wilster included, who have some sort of "friendship" on Facebook. I don't know if that just means friending each other or they have some convoluted, dark, second, secret way of communicating on the same.

There is no secret handshake here, but there's is a "lingo." Dale, it's Stewbies from now on. And misspellings aren't always misspellings here: looser = loser, degreed = agree, etc. If you ever figure out and use "toys from the pram." "redmist," and "Venice whaler" all in one sentence...well, then I think you get a toaster oven sent to you or somethin'. Many here come and go, and many come, take a long break (KC did that for a while), come back, only to disappear or stick around. Depending on what you're into, there are a number of branches with a wealth of information; yeah, you can just about find anything online, but here it can often be a shortcut, almost live time to direction or advice on something; something from eating in Japan, to buying a new range for the kitchen. I have expanded my road-trip horizons to Montana and Wyoming where I go most summers from suggestions, advise, and experiences here.

Also, this "branch" is named after one of the fallen, he was one of the first to fall: Richard Alan Bodine. Yes, that is his real name. And another fallen, Billet, who put together a collection through her business (i.e. we gave credit card information to her, she could be trusted and Republican!) to help out with expenses. Stewbies can do what they can do. You may also see other references to others that have fallen: Curley_sue (actually from the Thorntree where many "met" first), Zaffer, Soda, Jono (real tragic as it was by his own hand), and I'm forgetting many others I'm sure.

And out of curiosity Deb, is the CaminoDeb from the THE Camino in Spain (including of course other parts of Europe)? Ms. Wilster and I just did the Portugal to Spain walk last summer.

And finally, KC always had a standing invite to visit and stay here in N. California when he was Stateside for one of his N. American visits; sadly he never took us up on that--would have been great to get his kids in the pool, get over jetlag if they flew direct in from SEA and knock back a few together, just KC and I, late into the night.
My moniker is Wilster. How is my posting? If you no like, write suggestions down intelligibly on paper and then...burn it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:42 am

Wilster: Yes, CaminoDeb is from the Camino de Santiago! I walked from S. France, St. Jean Pied de Port over the Pyrenees Mountains all the way to Santiago de Compostela last year, from 1 October through 10 November. All 500 miles! It's actually about 480 but I did some backtracking and got lost out there just a few times, so I bet it really was 500 miles....

foolsprogress was very interested in hearing about that trip, and we were kind of amused that I was the one with the backpack on, and he was being a good parent (we could not have kids together, sadly), although he went on to have two.

Again in March, I went back and walked from Burgos Spain to Santiago again, and then in August, I walked the West Highland Way in Scotland.

My next big trip is in six days, to pay respects to my beloved ex in P Penh, and a rather big wing ding is in the works, I understand, with large wake / slideshow / ceremony at Adam's bar in P Penh. I will include the address later.

So, yeah...I love to travel. FP loved to travel, and we just did so much of it together that when I become a substitute teacher, I began to really try to go overseas a lot. I'll go to France in September 2017 then go walk the Camino again. I was considering the Porto, but may just do Leon to SdC. I haven't decided. I think I'm going to need to walk off some stuff though.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Wilster » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:21 am

Hah, Deb, here is a smattering of our trip: http://www.politicalstew.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=160706&p=3412905&hilit=camino#p3412905

Basically, I got roped into this thing because my wife's step-father (a pilot with Qantas) wanted her to go on the Walk (he has been on numerous ones so has her mom) because it might be her last; no major medical issues, but she is getting older. So my wife asked me; uh, I guess babe, if that's what you want me to do with you as a couple. :roll: The last thing I wanted to was friggin' walk for days on end in Europe. Like KC I have been Asian-centric for 20 past years and more; I'm trying to branch out more now! Anyway, we had a great time; we went with a tour group (different route this time) that my FIL had done before (but he has also walked the whole thing from France, the biggie, on his own with a backpack) and got along really well our group of nine (I guess that doesn't always happen and we've had reunions since with a few of the Pilgrims) here in Nor Cal.

Many in the group are planning another, catered, trip I believe in two summers time. It will be in the Basque country with more drinking, eating and less walking. I'm on the fence; I have been to Europe a few times and will be along for their start or finish (Santiago is gorgeous), but may just be on my own for the trip; Ukraine, Bulgaria, Baltic states all have a calling for me. So I guess we will see what happens; hell, I may be on their Walk, you never know!

And yes, you will Walk again; you will find a stone(s) and put it somewhere along the way or bring it to Santiago for KC. I didn't walk for those specific reasons, but Ms. Wilster along the way brought a bag full of stones and put them in a fountain with another Pilgrim in our group; she said one was for my brother--tears flooded my eyes.

Stew Ingredient

Postby andybox » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:17 am

What a wonderful man he must have been. This post is a direct reflection of how much we care about each other, and despite the sometimes bitter feuding, we are humans after all. Some truly moving posts here, he will certainly be missed.

Stew Ingredient

Postby simon_in_exile » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:07 am

I showed this thread to my wife to explain why this community matters - I've spent the past 15 years posting here and can remember foolsprogress posts from over a decade ago, because (when he opened up beyond political posts) he would always write with such an honest voice about his experiences. No bullshitting, embellishing, and he would readily admit his (perceived) human flaws. It takes both confidence and humility to do that, and I guess living in Cambodia develops those qualities even further in someone who, as is apparent from deb's filling in the missing bits of the jigsaw, had those character traits already. He was away from this board for a bit, and then recently posted again about his first visit to Angkor Wat. I re-read that post about four or five times to inspire myself - he had such a captivating writing style, as so many others don't, in which to describe snippets of a life lived fuller than most others. RIP foolsprogress.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Purps » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:13 am

Jesus.

Talk about a shock. I didn't think 2016 could take any more legends.

Fools was an institution here, always a thoughtful and enjoyable read. I am so sorry for your loss Deb and Dale, and for Fools' wife and children. He was a great man. xxx

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:20 am

Thank you for stopping by here at such a difficult time, Dale. I'm glad this thread has given you comfort.
Pass the wine...

Ambivalent Chilli

Postby Troll_Handle » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:05 am

Hi Dale, I'm sorry for your loss. Deb, it's lovely that you stayed so involved in each other's lives. I hope the wake you hold for fools brings you both some peace.

It would be lovely if either of you choose to stick around; to talk about him, to pick up where fools left off, or just to chat as yourselves. You might find squabbles if you dig deeply into old threads CaminoDeb, I hope you don't get too cross when you find them. Sometimes we play rather roughly, also we have one or two idiots. fools wasn't one of them but happily took them to task when needed on his own behalf.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Argonheart_Po » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:26 pm

I posted at the beginning of this thread too.

I met fools in BKK with the lovely BeatRaven about ten years ago. It seems too depressing now to write much about it. He seemed like a great guy. I admired him a lot.

I'm so sorry for his children, his family and real world friends. I don't know what else to say. What a tragic, awful and unfair turn of events.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:34 pm

Hi Dale,
Thanks for coming here. I've been chatting with Deb off the board, but I wanted to welcome you here as well. As you can see, we all appreciate your sharing here... pez
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Stew Ingredient

Postby QPR_Paul » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:12 pm

RIP

Stew Ingredient

Postby Sonora » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:20 pm

What horrible news! Fools was, as many have already said, one of the best posters here in terms of well written, thoughtful posts. He will be greatly missed.

Deb and Dale, I am so incredibly sorry for your loss, and thank you for posting here.

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:18 pm

Fuck. He was one of the few who took the time to think things out before writing. Although we didn't often agree, I always read what he wrote with interest.

Peace to his wife and children at this time. There's a great hole here and in Cambodia.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Logg » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:46 pm

This is just so hard to believe.

Fools was such a unique and special voice on this site. More than anybody, he seemed to embody the 'cosmic traveler' persona that the original Lonely Planet books and website represented way back in the late 20th Century. It seemed like he posted from somewhere completely outside the quotidian constraints of time and place. It was really impossible to guess his age for one thing, because his thoughts and expressions seemed to have an aura of timelessness to them. Old-fashioned sensibilities about decency and the Golden Rule combined with the most progressive ideals, and all unsullied by the distracting clamor of modern pop culture.

You don't come across too many people like that in the everyday world, and it was a real treat having him post here and engage in Socratic dialogue. It seemed like he had been posting a lot more frequently in the run up to and after the election, which in hindsight is pretty damned fortunate for us.

My thoughts and sympathy are with his family and loved ones. His absence is like a punch to the gut for this website as well. His voice will be sorely missed, and the reality that he won't be posting here anymore is just starting to sink in.

Rest in peace, foolsprogress. It would have been a real pleasure to have known you in real life.

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Postby Espina » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:33 pm

Tragic. If there are the correct consoling words for those he loved, and those who loved FP, then I wish I could convey them. RIP. And all our best to his extensive friends, colleagues and extended family. FP was a very erudite and incisive. His posts contributed greatly to the discourse on this forum.

Stew Ingredient

Postby kagyuster » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:02 pm

I had followed him on Twitter for a while before realising that he was FP here (I think he posted a link to the Stew which led me to putting 2 and 2 together).

[edited by mod at family request]

May he rest in peace.

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:23 am

I know I've used a name here and there, and my name, and his brother maybe has, but I have really tried not to do the links with his RL name, as he felt so strongly that he wanted to be anonymous. Kind of hard, I know.

Stew Ingredient

Postby DaBaba » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:36 am

I always liked his posts and oddly he inspired a wierd dream that I remembered upon awakening and told my wife about. In the course the post-election debating he mentioned a Thanksgiving party on a boat in Phomn Penh. Somehow that triggered a dream about Christmas in Phomn Penh, a city I have never been to, complete with Cambodian Santas in flip flops walking around in snow and ringing bells.

And I have been in love with dragon fruit since my first in China, and now snatch them up when I find them.

My condolences Deb and Dale and to foolsprogress's other family and friends. RIP.
我爱,所以我挨。
Inside Every Liberal is a Totalitarian Screaming to Get Out

Stew Ingredient

Postby Godjira » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:25 am

Fools only just came back here after I don't know how long an absence- like 2 or 3 years? He was the first to talk seriously about a Trump win via Michigan and came back just a few days before the election to discuss it.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Xerius » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:52 am

Ugh, I just now saw this. Terrible news. I didn't ever meet or really know the guy at all personally aside from what I had gleaned via the Stew, but I always found him among the most interesting posters here. I appreciated his logically grounded perspective and input in the many discussions here over the years. RIP, foolsprogress.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Wilster » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:11 am

CaminoDeb wrote:I know I've used a name here and there, and my name, and his brother maybe has, but I have really tried not to do the links with his RL name, as he felt so strongly that he wanted to be anonymous. Kind of hard, I know.

A bit of a shame really Deb. I followed Kagyusters' links and thought, wow, yet again, what a remarkable individual KC was; I didn't realize what a presence he had over different forums. I'm thinking, lets spread his presence, not retard it. Cuz the dust is gonna settle and he will be another fabulous individual without a voice; let's celebrate the voice he did have.

I understand the privacy issue, but he was bigger than you or his siblings; he put himself "out there." He didn't relish in that, he was just being himself, he resonated with a community(s). It may be too raw now, but I gotta imagine people will wanna know more about him; he was certainly one to share himself. Although I might have cracked an egg, I no doubt didn't know a hell of a lot about the guy I was knockin' back a few with in PP.

One suggestion; print all these accolades about KC here on paper, put in a three-ring binder and put on a table or otherwise display during his memorial. We did that for Curley_Sue and I think the family was appreciative.

Stew Ingredient

Postby brodie_bruce » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:14 am

I've just seen this as well (didn't show up on Tapatalk). Shit.

What Purps said. RIP foolsprogress......
Can't help feeling we'll come to look back fondly on 2016. As we scrabble for rat meat & potable water in the apocalyptic wastes of 2017.

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Wilster wrote:
CaminoDeb wrote:I know I've used a name here and there, and my name, and his brother maybe has, but I have really tried not to do the links with his RL name, as he felt so strongly that he wanted to be anonymous. Kind of hard, I know.

A bit of a shame really Deb. I followed Kagyusters' links and thought, wow, yet again, what a remarkable individual KC was; I didn't realize what a presence he had over different forums. I'm thinking, lets spread his presence, not retard it. Cuz the dust is gonna settle and he will be another fabulous individual without a voice; let's celebrate the voice he did have.

I understand the privacy issue, but he was bigger than you or his siblings; he put himself "out there." He didn't relish in that, he was just being himself, he resonated with a community(s). It may be too raw now, but I gotta imagine people will wanna know more about him; he was certainly one to share himself. Although I might have cracked an egg, I no doubt didn't know a hell of a lot about the guy I was knockin' back a few with in PP.

One suggestion; print all these accolades about KC here on paper, put in a three-ring binder and put on a table or otherwise display during his memorial. We did that for Curley_Sue and I think the family was appreciative.

Great suggestions. All in due course. The idea--for now--is to respect his tremendous wish for anonymity. I will not be outing him to the general community at large, as this forum was for fun and intellectual conversation. Some other places he showed up were just cesspools of idiocy and mean-ness. I will not turn his ideas on here into things to parse in every other forum in the world. Thanks--but we will stay anonymous here at least for now.

We need some time.

Stew Ingredient

Postby RandomThoughts » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:36 pm

I was traveling this past weekend and have just now checked in here -only to find this terrible news.

I'm so sad to hear about Fools' passing. My condolences to his wife, children, family and everyone who loved him. Thank you so much, Deb and Dale for taking the time to come here and not only let us know about his accident, but also give us a glimpse of the real-life man behind the handle. It appears he enjoyed a very rich life. He was definitely one of my favorite posters here because he was very well "written" and I enjoyed reading his comments very much. He was interesting. I enjoyed and learned from his opinions and stories. His was one handle that if I saw he'd posted on a thread, I never scrolled on by.

It is times like this that illustrate to me the effect a forum like ours can have -pulling together a group of random people from all over the world who together create a bit of magic (and all sorts of other things like laughter and aggravation -and sadness too). As a middle-aged, Midwest USA based housewife, I enjoy knowing that there are so many of you leading really interesting and adventurous lives in places I may never manage to travel to...but I can "visit" in a small way here. It is also times like this that we all seem so much more real and not so much just "words on a screen" -if that makes any sense.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. It is always too soon to say goodbye.
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

Stew Ingredient

Postby Vivienne_Westwood » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:09 am

What awful news. Condolences to the family and his friends.

The reminiscences here are amazing.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:43 am

Whaaaaaaaaaaat???

Jaysus I am so very sorry.

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:04 pm

I don't know about foolsp, but I would not like to think that my real-life people were going to be reading the shit I have posted here after I die. Or before.

Stew Ingredient

Postby dBrother » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:18 pm

I liked fools, and I am too shocked that he is gone so quickly.

I didn't know him, but liked him from his posting style here, all I can add is that he went like a bit of a legend for a travel forum poster, grieve him you must, but take comfort that it was a quick and painless way to go, and he was taken from this earthly realm doing what he loved..

there are much worse ways to expire..

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:50 pm

VinnyD wrote:I don't know about foolsp, but I would not like to think that my real-life people were going to be reading the shit I have posted here after I die. Or before.

Same here. I'm afraid I totally disagree with you Wilster. His family are entirely right to respect his wishes. It's not about us or anyone else. Fools is not ours to share.
Pass the wine...

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Postby Espina » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:05 pm

leela wrote:
VinnyD wrote:I don't know about foolsp, but I would not like to think that my real-life people were going to be reading the shit I have posted here after I die. Or before.

Same here. I'm afraid I totally disagree with you Wilster. His family are entirely right to respect his wishes. It's not about us or anyone else. Fools is not ours to share.

Degreed!! Sadly there are some name dropping pervs around who may use a bit of personal info for their own gain. Just imagine Queepy showing up on FP's widow's doorstep.

FP chose to keep his very extensive record of work private on this forum (even though he was fairly open on others) and we should respect that. May he RIP.
Last edited by Espina on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Famous Dishes