Rents In Phenom Penh

Point, shoot, leave.
Stew Ingredient

Rents In Phenom Penh

Postby BeatRaven » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:40 pm

$300 a month for a one bedroom near the Russian Market?

Bookable short term on the fly -cheapest vacation ever?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/903 ... nd-or-not/

Stew Ingredient

Re: Rents In Phenom Penh

Postby EMG » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Philippines is slightly pricier but not by much. $350 a month or so for a bare bones (but furnished) studio. At the $500 range you'd have a decent sized place with wifi and a kitchen. If you Air BNB it you don't have to pay the electric bill either.

Wouldn't recommend Manila because it's Manila but somewhere like Boracay or Bohol would be a nice beach vacation.

Stew Ingredient

Postby BeatRaven » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:20 am

You wouldn't love it for $350 a month in SEA even in a place like Udon.

I spent $400 there for a small studio. For Chiang Mai, $5-600 is what it would take to not have Thai radio waking you up or be living amongst 100% alcoholic mongers. In Luang Prubang and Vientiene, you could easily hit a grand, assuming you could even find a rental.

And they kill you on the electric bill. To have 24 hour AC would run you about $200 a month. Internet and phone is another hundred.

In the pre Air B+B era, finding a cheap apartment for a variable stay was easy in SEA. Now because of the traffic from Thai Love Connection, even places like Khorat are tight.

I'm glad Phenom Penh still has cheap apartments. In Pattaya, due to massive overbuilding of condo's, you can get a sea view high rise apartment for about $500.

Instigator

Postby cuchulainn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:29 am

Singapore was $3000 a month for a studio.

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:18 am

I'm thinking you could still do pretty well in a place like Kachanaburi for cheap.

A former intern was going to get an ESL certificate in Pnomh Penh before heading to Korea. A year later, and he's still there. His Brazilian au pair girlfriend even moved there to be with him. (How they figured out that visa is beyond me.)

Return to Travel Journalism