Is Trip Advisor a load of old wank?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Stew Ingredient

Is Trip Advisor a load of old wank?

Postby Lincoln » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Well is it?

I'm starting to think so...i use it when i'm booking a city break or a quick one week holiday with the family....just to make sure i'm not staying in a shit hole but also sometimes for looking for a decent restaurant.

I never use it for what to see or how to get from A to B ...good old LP still floats my boat.

But now i notice so many first-ever-post reviews...there everywhere on TA,can't trust it these days.

Are you a fan?

Stew Ingredient

Re: Is Trip Advisor a load of old wank?

Postby Lost Soul » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm not a fan. I almost never pre-book a hotel unless it's the night before, and I usually google an attraction and make up my own mind on whether it's worth the bother.

I do read the comments on Google maps though. They can be helpful in choosing the right place in a two-motel town, and where the best Mexican food is in a strange town.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Instigator

Postby cuchulainn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
I do read the comments on Google maps though. They can be helpful in choosing the right place in a two-motel town, and where the best Mexican food is in a strange town.

So adventurous!

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:39 pm

I use TA for hotel reviews and occasionally use their message board for questions. I use good old guide books for everything else
Korgy Trump:
"maybe Borden gets thrown in the slammer and buttfucked by a big black dude."

Korgy Trump:
"i dont think that sentencing people to being raped in prison should be part of the justice system either. glad we agree."

Stew Ingredient

Postby Bastet » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:45 pm

Yep. I use it all the time. However I mainly use it to see what the bad reviews are but only trust if it's from someone with a lot of reviews.

I also post my own reviews.

Stew Ingredient

Postby cummy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:41 am

TA now is somewhat sketchy. i still read them though. but i am really looking for info that might say: metro station two blocks away, great italian resto across the street, supermarket down the street, free room upgrades when you flash your xyz card, aircon cannot keep up during the summer, etc.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:25 am

I've found them useful in finding good accommodation. Reading between the lines of comments is essential.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:13 am

cuchulainn wrote:
Lost Soul wrote:

So adventurous!

Indeed. I see the small towns.

I'm not the dipshit settling into a hotel in a strange city and calling it 'adventure', like you clowns.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Homerj » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:47 pm

It is just one tool...there are multiple rating sites so I just use it for comparative purposes.
I also look for people with 100+ reviews.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:01 pm

The forums for less travelled places are way more active than the TT. Uzbekistan, Iran, Panama, Malawi...my questions on TA forums got way more, and faster, responses than those I posted on the tree.
Pass the wine...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Godjira » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:11 am

I use it all the time and find that it usually pretty accurate. The only bad part is all the popups
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Stew Ingredient

Postby GLimpet » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:13 pm

cummy wrote:TA now is somewhat sketchy. i still read them though. but i am really looking for info that might say: metro station two blocks away, great italian resto across the street, supermarket down the street, free room upgrades when you flash your xyz card, aircon cannot keep up during the summer, etc.

TA is still the best, but plenty of competition. Forget TT - it's finished.

Like cummy, I ignore the opinionated rants about customer service etc and skim for the useful up-to-date info.

Does the Wifi work well in every room? how long does it really take to get to the airport/metro/bus stop/supermarket that's "5 minutes away"?

Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Postby Electrolyte » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:13 am

There are countries where most hotel and restaurant reviews, positive and negative, are fake or unreliable. Best is to look for specifics and try to corroborate them with pictures or maps. I rely mostly on pictures for restaurants. For logistics and what to see I go to the forums, but even those have some fake stories, usually identifiable when they promote a tour company.

Some of the reviews for restaurants are completely idiotic. A year or two ago I looked up the best restaurant in Rome and it was some stupid sandwich shop. Almost all reviews were effusive, except for a couple that said wtf, this is just a sandwich shop.

Stew Ingredient

Postby GLimpet » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:52 pm

But - is sandwich!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:15 pm

How's the wine, GLimpet?

Stew Ingredient

Postby GLimpet » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:46 am

Average.

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Wouldn't a load of old wank just dry up into a stain?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:19 pm

You do not have a promising career in comedy ahead of you.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 am

Lincoln wrote:You do not have a promising career in comedy ahead of you.

Beirut it is, then.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:01 pm

Lincoln wrote:You do not have a promising career in comedy ahead of you.

Germans find me hilarious.

Stew Ingredient

Postby emmeff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:15 pm

leela wrote:The forums for less travelled places are way more active than the TT. Uzbekistan, Iran, Panama, Malawi...my questions on TA forums got way more, and faster, responses than those I posted on the tree.

Less travelled? Compared with Spain and Italy, maybe, but the destinations you have listed attract significant numbers of package tourists each year.

TA is popular with people who like their travel to proceed in a predictable and easily-digestible manner.

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:55 pm

emmeff wrote:
leela wrote:The forums for less travelled places are way more active than the TT. Uzbekistan, Iran, Panama, Malawi...my questions on TA forums got way more, and faster, responses than those I posted on the tree.

Less travelled? Compared with Spain and Italy, maybe, but the destinations you have listed attract significant numbers of package tourists each year.

TA is popular with people who like their travel to proceed in a predictable and easily-digestible manner.

Yes. Less travelled. Is it that hard to recognise that there are a lot fewer tourists in Uzbekistan/Iran/Malawi than in any European/SEAsian/ country, for instance?

I used to think that TA was more for the package tourist, but it's more than that. The vast majority of people on the forums for the countries I mentioned, are travelling independently, and the questions are of the same type as asked on the TT.
Pass the wine...

Postby Electrolyte » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:46 pm

The best information on TA is on the forums, though even there one can find charlatans trying to sell you things.

Stew Ingredient

Postby emmeff » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:55 am

leela wrote:
emmeff wrote:

Yes. Less travelled. Is it that hard to recognise that there are a lot fewer tourists in Uzbekistan/Iran/Malawi than in any European/SEAsian/ country, for instance?

Isn't that exactly the point I made in my post? I'm sorry if it was unclear to you. Your concept of 'less-travelled' is different to mine.

I used to think that TA was more for the package tourist, but it's more than that. The vast majority of people on the forums for the countries I mentioned, are travelling independently, and the questions are of the same type as asked on the TT.

You seem to require a lot of reassurance before you travel, hence you prefer the herd-sourcing on TA to a single authoritative post. For example, on the issue of a visa for Iran it took you a month or longer, and then only after much faffing about on TA, to accept the same advice that was given in reply to your first question about it on TT.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:20 pm

There is a lot of good advice to be had on TA forums. At this point its way better than TT

Malawi seems to be a destination that has heated up in the backpacker world. I met many backpackers in Zambia heading for Malawi
Korgy Trump:
"maybe Borden gets thrown in the slammer and buttfucked by a big black dude."

Korgy Trump:
"i dont think that sentencing people to being raped in prison should be part of the justice system either. glad we agree."

Stew Ingredient

Postby Godjira » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:59 am

I'd much rather soak up the local flavor by searching for a hotel at midnight
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Postby Electrolyte » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:59 pm

I've actually done pretty well on the ground at midnight. You get last minute deals and you get to see the room first. But you take a big risk, an intolerable one if you have kids.

For hotels I find booking.com reviews to be more reliable than TA since you have to make a reservation through them to be able to leave a review. Hotel owners can still book rooms for themselves when they have vacancies in order to write fake reviews, but this requires more effort and there are many fewer fake negative reviews.

Return to Travel Tips and Advice