Air Canada dumping Aeroplan in 2020

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Queen Bee

Air Canada dumping Aeroplan in 2020

Postby northern_goddess » Sat May 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Considering that the majority of the points I earn for my Star Alliance flights that I purchase are earned through my credit card and not through actually flying on Air Canada, I may now need to start thinking about a new Credit Card and plan. Any Canadians out there with thoughts on this?

One option, of course, is to wait and see how things shake out with Aeroplan as it relates to VISA credit cards and Star Alliance but in the meantime I'm curious about other plans that Canadians may be happy with.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Queen Bee

Re: Air Canada dumping Aeroplan in 2020

Postby northern_goddess » Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 pm

You people suck!
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Homerj » Tue May 16, 2017 1:00 am

Aimia has the current agreement with the * alliance partners...so if you want to fly on any other airline other than AC then redeem before 2020 as AC will have to renegotiate...but if u want o fly on AC then don't redeem as they will offer incentives for people to switch over from aeroplan...hope that helps.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Wed May 17, 2017 1:32 am

Thanks, homerj. And no, not a big AC flier internationally. At least I have lots of time to research it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Godjira » Wed May 17, 2017 3:13 am

I wonder if they will stay in the Star Alliance. Will you be able to earn other airline's miles? Sounds crazy.

I flew them once from here, I believe- but I often think that I would like to do their Haneda to ( quick transfer in some Canadian city) to Newark flight because it is very convenient for me. But, if I'm not going to get miles... I dunno.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Cyllarus » Thu May 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Mrs C has close to 400,000 points and like NG has Aerogold card that piles up aeroplan points.

I gave up Aerogold when I switched to TD bank. Have used Visa Infinite First Class cc since. Accrues points that transmogrify to $$ that can be used for any travel expenses and link to Expedia maximizes value of the points. Prett happy with this card. Think it is $120/year but my annaul fee waived as I leave minimum $5k in chequing account at all times. My $30/monthly account fee also waived.

Postby eric84 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Maybe this should be a warning to all to stay away from airline point credit cards and find other rewards cards. I just have a PC MasterCard which I can use for free groceries. The money is saved immediately and can be used for travel. Simple.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:32 pm

I just have a PC MasterCard which I can use for free groceries. The money is saved immediately and can be used for travel. Simple

so Master Card may take 3-5% for every purchase that can be passed on to the consumer and you get 1% back on your purchases. Good deal, eh?
Re: Worst American State
Postby korgy » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:03 pm
"it is a certain kind if brutal, lily-white, simple-minded personality who loves the Rockies. "

Postby eric84 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:57 pm

If that's a problem with you, then you probably shouldn't use credit cards at all then.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:01 pm

I use a credit card for safety or when I don't have enough local currency when traveling. I'm ok with the small charge. But many merchants abroad will tell you that they will add a 3% surcharge when using a credit card
"it is a certain kind if brutal, lily-white, simple-minded personality who loves the Rockies. "

Stew Ingredient

Postby mad hatter » Thu May 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Reward schemes with North American airlines and credit cards dont seem sustainable tbh so not too surprising Air Canada is rebalancing.

Weve got $3000 of airpoint dollars with Air NZ which I hope we dont get screwed on, had a shit load of ansett points go tits up years ago when they folded...
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Postby eric84 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:16 pm

polardude1 wrote:I use a credit card for safety or when I don't have enough local currency when traveling. I'm ok with the small charge. But many merchants abroad will tell you that they will add a 3% surcharge when using a credit card

We're talking about everyday use of credit cards not for travel for the purpose of redeeming rewards/points.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:40 pm

We're talking about everyday use of credit cards not for travel for the purpose of redeeming rewards/points.

REI master Card gives me a 10% for REI purchases with their card. When the annual reward is combined with a 20% coupon, it's a good deal

Stew Ingredient

Postby Homerj » Fri May 19, 2017 6:26 pm

eric84 wrote:Maybe this should be a warning to all to stay away from airline point credit cards and find other rewards cards. I just have a PC MasterCard which I can use for free groceries. The money is saved immediately and can be used for travel. Simple.

Yes but some of us like lie flats for their 15 hr. flights to Asia...something a PC points card just ain't gonna get me.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Postby eric84 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Yeah, but how many people log as much air travel as you? Tiny, tiny fraction.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Homerj » Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 pm

eric84 wrote:Yeah, but how many people log as much air travel as you? Tiny, tiny fraction.

Don't need to Eric.
A buddy of mine put his expenses for his small business on an Aeroplan card and wracked up 100's of thousands of miles every year, and would use them to fly to Asia (that's where his supplier was from) without ever setting foot on an Air Canada flight, or paying anything other than the taxes and fees on his redeemed flights from Aeroplan.
Small/medium business owners rack up way more miles than I could ever do flying.
My CEO hasn't paid for a single flight in over a decade he just uses our company credit cards accumulated United Miles to haul his ass all over the planet in F or J.

Postby eric84 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Ok, you've now expanded that sphere slightly to include owners of business sufficiently large that they can rack up airline points for travel. Again, not the best advice if you're a mere plebe.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sat May 20, 2017 7:29 pm

As a mere (non business owner) pleb, that's what I do to accumulate aeroplan points. I earn them from my credit card spending/purchases, almost exclusively. And it's enough to usually cover at least one trip a year in business class.

Stew Ingredient

Postby snowgirl » Sun May 21, 2017 12:23 am

Same as NoGs here. Luckily I used a shit ton of points to get me and my friend to Morocco last year, and a bunch more to get to Vancouver this summer. But it means I'm going to have to re-think the whole credit card thing which is a pain. The less I have to think about finance the better.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Stew Ingredient

Postby Cyllarus » Tue May 23, 2017 12:16 pm

The less I have to think about finance the better.

Sorry Snow but you really have to change that attitude. Lots of financial "advisors" (aka, financial fucktards/vampires) that will happily screw over your finances if you let them.

Take a serious interest in your finances as no one else is as motivated to help you attain your financial interests and objectives.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Homerj » Tue May 23, 2017 3:25 pm

eric84 wrote:Ok, you've now expanded that sphere slightly to include owners of business sufficiently large that they can rack up airline points for travel. Again, not the best advice if you're a mere plebe.

Even without a corp. account I still manage 50-60K/yr in points just from my CC alone.
That's J class anywhere in N. America, or Y to Europe....all for a CC I pay zero dollars in fees for.

Stew Ingredient

Postby snowgirl » Mon May 29, 2017 6:26 pm

Cyllarus wrote:
The less I have to think about finance the better.

Sorry Snow but you really have to change that attitude. Lots of financial "advisors" (aka, financial fucktards/vampires) that will happily screw over your finances if you let them.

Take a serious interest in your finances as no one else is as motivated to help you attain your financial interests and objectives.

I know Cyl. And you sound like my mom. :wink:
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Stew Ingredient

Postby Cyllarus » Mon May 29, 2017 7:57 pm

Your mom is a very wise woman.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Does anyone here have experience with Adventura? CIBC is currently offering the first year free and 15,000 points to sign up. I'm primarily interested in earning on everyday purchases and redeeming it for travel (Business Class).

Stew Ingredient

Postby bundes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 pm

NG did you decide on anything?

I was originally going to just stick with my aeroplan cards and hope that come close to the end there's a bit of signing up bonus competition but...??

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:54 pm

bundes wrote:NG did you decide on anything?

I was originally going to just stick with my aeroplan cards and hope that come close to the end there's a bit of signing up bonus competition but...??

Not yet. Everything I am reading is saying to hold on until closer to the date when they really start fighting to keep people and other plans really start fighting to get the aeroplan members.

Stew Ingredient

Postby bundes » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Great, I'll stick with my first thought and it means not doing anything :)

Return to Travel Tips and Advice