Mrauk U - Anyone been?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Stew Ingredient

Mrauk U - Anyone been?

Postby Moethebartender » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:44 pm

I'd have thought it would be a no-go area due to everything going on in the Rakhine State, but apparently not?

Myanmar Times Article

The pictures I've seen look fascinating. Less than 4k tourists a year...
Flobster wrote:'Ape' isn't really a term of abuse for Aborigines. It has become so a bit becauase it is, apparently, a term of abuse for Africans/African Americans. Goodes does look a bit chimpanzee-like, just as Bobby 'The Chimp' Skilton did.

Stew Ingredient

Re: Mrauk U - Anyone been?

Postby polardude1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:55 pm

As far as I know it was safe. I was seriously considering going. I think half the adventure is getting there. I'm sure you can get update information on the Trip Advisor forum
Postby Citizen Baba » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:57 pm
"I got a bad case of giardia in Burma too. Shit my hotel bed in Bangkok"

by VinnyD » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:32 pm
Polardude: Did I suggest that you suggested that he didn't?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:29 pm

Yeah, it's a bit off the beaten track It sounds as though they might be getting an airport in the near future, which would change things substantially I'm sure.
Flobster wrote:'Ape' isn't really a term of abuse for Aborigines. It has become so a bit becauase it is, apparently, a term of abuse for Africans/African Americans. Goodes does look a bit chimpanzee-like, just as Bobby 'The Chimp' Skilton did.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Homerj » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Moe...did u have some sort of life changing experience in SEA?
I am asking because many of us have travelled to a huge variety of places, but rarely do I find anyone that posts with the kind of reverence that you do when talking about that particular region of the world.
Serious question.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Cyllarus » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:57 pm

I've been in Rakhine state but did not go further north than Sittwe airport. From there went to Ngapoli Beach for 6 days which is gorgeous - no highrise hotels just bungalows and fishing villages on north and south ends of the beach.

Qucik search reveals that you can fly in to Sittwe and then possibly take boat to Mrauk U - about 140 kilomtres away. Bon voyage.

Stew Ingredient

Postby kotagiri_tea_planter » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:00 pm

When I was there a few years ago, I met a bunch of folks at Yangon airport domestic departures catching a flight to Sittwe and heading to Mrauk U. Of course a bunch was a couple dozen or so. Mostly Frenchies. Did seem like a long trip, day long boat ride from Sittwe, etc. Didn't ask about accommodation or how they made arrangements. I wanted to go to but didn't have time for it. If I go back, I'd definitely go there.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:54 pm

day long boat ride from Sittwe

if you have time, that would seem like the better part of getting there

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Homerj wrote:Moe...did u have some sort of life changing experience in SEA?
I am asking because many of us have travelled to a huge variety of places, but rarely do I find anyone that posts with the kind of reverence that you do when talking about that particular region of the world.
Serious question.

Not really, though my first trip to the region certainly had a bigger impact on me than say my first trip to Central Amerikkka. I've had a bit of an obsession with Asia (Japan and China mostly) in general since I was a kid. The Vietnam War ended when I was three years old. When I became aware of it as I got older, I developed a strong interest in what had happened there and why. Really though, the place that has captivated me since I first became aware of it was Cambodia. Foolsprogress once referred to me as a fellow 'Cambodiaphile' - probably due to my incessantly questioning him on that subject matter. I took it as a high compliment.

I'm also more than a bit of a ruins buff, so I'd really like to see Mrauk U before it becomes more of a mainstream destination. I was hoping someone here might have had some first hand experience there, given how widely traveled the forum is.

I haven't done more than glanced at the logistics of the trip, but I am aware of the boat situation.

Hey Cyllarus, how long ago were you in the Rakhine State? How would you say it compared to the other parts of the country that you've visited?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Cyllarus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:21 pm

2008. End of our 28-day visa and we wanted R&R so didn't travel far from Ngapoli. Can't say much about Rakhine execpt Sittwe Airport had a bitchin' 1947 Dodge firetruck for emergencies.

Started in Yangon which was in very bad shape and moved quickly to Mandalay which we really liked walking about in. Ancient cities around Mandaly remarkable. Took train up into Shan state stopping in Pyin OO lwin and then carried on in super crowded elderly train over Gangtok viaduct (creaky and shaky) to Hsipaw where we planned to hike for 4 days. Brain cramps led us to eat fresh tomato and lettuce sandwiches on arrival leading to 4 days of puking/shitting, often both at same time. Fun. Brought us closer together.

Went to Bagan for 6 days and really amazing ruins. Quite different from Angkor Wat but equlally remarkable. 28 year old Toyota Carolla taxi to Inle Lake took 13 hours to cover about 300 km. Stayed there for several days in stilt bamboo cabins on lake and lots of good hiking in hills. Travelling on our own and logisitics and poor infrastructure wore us down so Ngapoli beach was our R&R reward. Would go back to every place.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:36 pm

Stayed there for several days in stilt bamboo cabins on lake and lots of good hiking in hills.

Those bamboo cabins on the lake morphed into high end hotels

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Thanks for the scoop. I've heard nothing but great things about the experience (well, except for the food - which unfortunately does not get great press).

Stew Ingredient

Postby Cyllarus » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:13 pm

This is place we stayed at on Inle Lake - Golden Island Cottages II. Was owned at time by some tribal co-op (Pa O perhaps?). Amazing sunsets and sunrises from our stilt house. Rocked to sleep at night by wave action.

No internet when we were in Burma in 2008 so seeing wbesite now is kind of amazing to me. We paid $45 night and probably double now.

http://www.gichotelgroup.com/

Stew Ingredient

Postby strife » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Nope, it was off-limits in 2003, when I visited Burma.
I don't want no Commies in my car. No Christians, either.

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Serious question.

Not really, though my first trip to the region certainly had a bigger impact on me than say my first trip to Central Amerikkka. I've had a bit of an obsession with Asia (Japan and China mostly) in general since I was a kid. The Vietnam War ended when I was three years old. When I became aware of it as I got older, I developed a strong interest in what had happened there and why. Really though, the place that has captivated me since I first became aware of it was Cambodia. Foolsprogress once referred to me as a fellow 'Cambodiaphile' - probably due to my incessantly questioning him on that subject matter. I took it as a high compliment.

My problem with Latin America was always that I went to Asia first.

Have you read Hun Sen's Cambodia it's on my shelf in the to-read section.

My employer is one of only a handful of NGOs that have programs in Rakhine. I've heard a lot of the sites are only accessible by river.
There is a reason I'm stalking you. Like me I found with you, sooner or later posters discover that you're just an asshole. You rode another poster lie a horse a few weeks ago. It was embaressing

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:10 am

Citizen Baba wrote:
Moethebartender wrote:
Serious question.

My problem with Latin America was always that I went to Asia first.

Have you read Hun Sen's Cambodia it's on my shelf in the to-read section.

My employer is one of only a handful of NGOs that have programs in Rakhine. I've heard a lot of the sites are only accessible by river.

Yeah, I've actually read it twice. It's pretty much one of a kind in terms of what it covers, at least in the English language. Foolsprogress had a very favorable impression of it, at least from his initial take of the first few chapters. Here's the take on it from a popular expat forum that he participated on: Link.

Things have changed a lot even since that book came out, but it does a tremendous job of bringing you a bit more up to speed than any other book that I can think of. Things are changing so rapidly now that your only hope of keeping up is to follow online forums. The news that trickles out doesn't really provide any depth of insight and is frequently erroneous or misleading.

Re: Latin America - My first trip out of country was traveling down from San Diego to San Jose Del Cabo when I barely spoke a word of Spanish as a youngster. It was what opened my eyes to international travel and has colored everything i've experienced since. It still doesn't mean as much to me as my travels in Cambodia though for reasons I can't explain.

Re: The Rakhine State - From what I've heard, a boat trip is pretty much the only way to get to Mrauk U, at least until the airport becomes functional (if it ever does). I'd love to hear any insights or publications you can direct me to with regards to the Rakhine State. This isn't something I'll be able to pull off in the immediate future, but it's something I'm planning to do in the next couple of years.

Stew Ingredient

Postby BeatRaven » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:18 am

When I was in Yangon last August, they had flights to Sitwe. I talked to a franchie who said it was a bit back packer-ish, like Laos upriver.

Google says 4 flights a day.

Return to Travel Tips and Advice