A tourist trip for Spring

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Stew Ingredient

A tourist trip for Spring

Postby Stan In Maryland » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:06 pm

First, I am talking a tourist trip, not a traveler trip. A little interesting would be great but I am no looking for a grand adventure. Second, price is a major consideration and due to that the trip may not happen at all. So if you are the kind of poster who is offended is someone gets ideas and then doesn't go, please scroll on by. We are remodeling our kitchen this year and that is taking up a lot of funds. That said, for a variety of reasons life has been really stressful for my wife and I the last few months (no the marriage is not stressed) and somewhere to just get away and relax would be great. Due to my wife's job the trip will be in mid-April.

We are not huge "lay on the beach" people. I love the water, but she isn't a swimmer or diver. That said, I don't mind a "beach" location if there are other cultural/historical/natural sites and activities in the area. Probably obvious, but we live on the East Coast of the US. I am thinking warmer rather than cooler. I don't mind the idea of an "all inclusive" but not opposed to something else either. Mainly looking to just relax. I am not a huge fan of the Caribbean cruise thing and cruises when we can go are all expensive due to the popularity of the timing (Spring break for schools).

So if you are still reading and have any ideas I would appreciate it.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient

Re: A tourist trip for Spring

Postby Cyllarus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Tent in the back yard. Bring you back to your childhood.

Though it will be cooler, Montreal in spring is good place to be - culture, food, historic sites, great galleries, museums and those frenchies who speak English to tourists. Driving distance from Maryland.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Cyllarus wrote:Tent in the back yard. Bring you back to your childhood.

Though it will be cooler, Montreal in spring is good place to be - culture, food, historic sites, great galleries, museums and those frenchies who speak English to tourists. Driving distance from Maryland.

You don't know my wife if you think at tent in the backyard will work. Well, perhaps it would be relaxing for her if I were out of the house. Montreal is actually "on the list" for sometime. Honestly , I think it might be a bit "busy" for what I am thinking of for this trip. In a place like Montreal I know we would be on the run seeing lots of great sites and such. I am looking from something slow paced for this trip, but thanks and we will get there one day.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:40 pm

Ledbetter's house, obv.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Panama? Theare posters here who might give sine good advice about it.
Postby Citizen Baba » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:57 pm
"I got a bad case of giardia in Burma too. Shit my hotel bed in Bangkok"

Stew Ingredient

Postby DCComic » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:27 pm

Is Europe a possibility? Spain and Italy are both lovely in tne spring. Spain in particular offers a lot of bang for your buck.
I want my fucking money back.

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Yucatan. Andalusia. Sicily.

Stew Ingredient

Postby BeatRaven » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:08 pm

That whole Blue Ridge/Smokey Mountains run. Maybe go to Dollywood. You're there in a day's drive. The surrounding area is less tacky/fun.

Very, very geared to low-moderate cost travel and tons to see and do going and coming.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Would love to do more of Europe but looking at air fares for my dates would make the trip more than I can spend right now. Plus, there is too much of interest to do so I know we would end up running hard and I am looking for something where we will take a few things in but mainly just relax. Most of the time something like Europe would be great but this is just meant to be a quick relaxing get away. While I know any trip CAN just be relaxing, I know us and if there is a lot we want to see we will try to pack it in.

Stew Ingredient

Postby twodogs » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Coastal North or South Carolina is nice in April and you could drive and camp to save money.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:17 pm

What about New Orleans? April is well past the crowds and craziness of Mardi Gras, and I'm not sure that it gets much Spring Break tourism; my guess would be that Corpus Christi or Galveston would be a bigger draw for college students.

I've been there twice on business,with conferences on Tuesday through Thursday, so I took Friday as a day of vacation and stayed over the weekend. I stayed in the French Quarter both times, once at the Monteleone and the other time at what might have been a Radisson or Marriot farther down Royal Street. I'm not much of a drinker, so Bourbon Street was mostly interesting for its restaurants, and Royal Street was a nice street for strolling along and looking into the antique shops and art galleries. It seems to me that the Old French Market, famous for its beignets and its coffee with chicory, is an easy stroll away.

You might also consider Chicago, where the World Series winning Chicago Cubs will play their home opener against the Los Angeles Dodgers on April 10. I can also recommend at least one restaurant you might like to try while here. The only real drawback is the iffy weather; April can be beautiful or it can be bone-chilling cold.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:11 pm

NA, Jazz Fest (which isn't much about jazz--it's become a "big names" musical event) in New Orleans takes over the city for two weeks, late April-early May. The city does get lot of spring tourism besides.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:NA, Jazz Fest (which isn't much about jazz--it's become a "big names" musical event) in New Orleans takes over the city for two weeks, late April-early May. The city does get lot of spring tourism besides.

Oops! Another of my failed attempts to advise and counsel the younger generation. Thanks.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Interestingly enough I am looking at the Outer Banks right now. I checked airfare to just about anywhere warm that time of year are crazy so if we are going warmer it will be driving.

NA, Chicago? I don't know, you know what happened last time I had a trip to Chicago.

Anyone with advise about the Outbanks?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:Interestingly enough I am looking at the Outer Banks right now. I checked airfare to just about anywhere warm that time of year are crazy so if we are going warmer it will be driving.

NA, Chicago? I don't know, you know what happened last time I had a trip to Chicago.

Anyone with advise about the Outbanks?

Sure, some. I was supposed to be there in October, but at the very last minute, the hurricane made a sharp left and whacked the OBX.

The thing to do is to rent a house for a week. Not a whole lot to do besides read, relax, cook. Unless there's a festival going on. The Wright Bros memorial is at Kitty Hawk.

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:57 am

Stan In Maryland wrote:Montreal is actually "on the list" for sometime. Honestly , I think it might be a bit "busy" for what I am thinking of for this trip. In a place like Montreal I know we would be on the run seeing lots of great sites and such. I am looking from something slow paced for this trip, but thanks and we will get there one day.

Nah, the great and refreshing thing about Montreal is there really are few to no must see sites. Just take in the air and the food.
There is a reason I'm stalking you. Like me I found with you, sooner or later posters discover that you're just an asshole. You rode another poster lie a horse a few weeks ago. It was embaressing

Instigator

Postby cuchulainn » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:02 am

Come to California. San Diego will be sunny and warm then. It's going up to 77 (24 C) this Wednesday.

Stew Ingredient

Postby twodogs » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:30 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:Anyone with advise about the Outbanks?

Not enough to see or do for a whole week. Visit Charleston for a day or two, stop in Myrtle beach for lunch then spend a couple days on Cedar Island and a day or two for the Outer Banks. The dismal swamp is worth a day if you have time. That time of year you might see some Great Loop boats heading north for the summer.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:38 pm

twodogs wrote:
Stan In Maryland wrote:Anyone with advise about the Outbanks?

Not enough to see or do for a whole week. Visit Charleston for a day or two, stop in Myrtle beach for lunch then spend a couple days on Cedar Island and a day or two for the Outer Banks. The dismal swamp is worth a day if you have time. That time of year you might see some Great Loop boats heading north for the summer.

You make the Outer Banks sound perfect for what I am thinking. Two hours of breakfast on the deck overlooking the beach. Go for an hour walk on the beach. Read on the deck for an hour. Have a two hour lunch on the deck overlooking the beach. Go to some local low level site for an hour or two. Take a nap. Have drinks and dinner for two hours on the deck looking at the ocean. Just sit on the deck with a drink or a cup of coffee for a couple more hours. Go to bed. Next day, repeat with maybe a bike ride or something. IF any fish are running through in a few hours of surf fishing and it sounds perfect.

Yes Chip I agree, it will be a house rental or nothing.

Stew Ingredient

Postby twodogs » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Ocracoke might be better for rentals. Sunsets are more relaxing than sunrises so look for something bay side.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:05 pm

You'll love it then, Stan.

The hurricane in October that kept us away did a lot of damage, so check to see which areas were relatively spared. Affecting restaurants, houses, businesses, the beach.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Now my wife says maybe trees and bike riding so I am looking at house rentals in the Ohiopyle area of PA. Could be chilly but some bike riding and some trout fishing for me sounds nice too.

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:19 pm

There must be trees somewhere further south.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:32 pm

I heard of nice rafting at Ohiopyle. Also it's not far from FL Wright's Falling Waters home. The weather should be pleasant and the leaves would just be appearing on the trees.

http://www.discoverohiopyle.com/fallingwater.html

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:11 pm

VinnyD wrote:There must be trees somewhere further south.

Nope, I checked, no trees south of the Mason-Dixon.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:14 pm

polardude1 wrote:I heard of nice rafting at Ohiopyle. Also it's not far from FL Wright's Falling Waters home. The weather should be pleasant and the leaves would just be appearing on the trees.

http://www.discoverohiopyle.com/fallingwater.html

PD, yes, good rafting, hiking, biking on a rails to trails that just happens to run along the Youghiogheny River which also just happens to contain trout, two FLW houses (Fallingwater is the better known but I prefer Kentuck Knob). We have done the two house twice so I think if my wife wants to see them again I will drop her off and I will go fishing.

Of course she still hasn't given me an answer of which she wants to do so the houses I want will probably be booked by the time she does.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:25 pm

There are parts of PA that are really nice and that's excluding the boring Poconos

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:25 pm

There is some good stuff in the Poconos, you just have to forget you are in the Poconos.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:16 pm

There is some good stuff in the Poconos, you just have to forget you are in the Poconos.

True. For hiking it's kind of boring, although I do like Rickets Glen

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:51 pm

Re: Poconos, I went to Lake Harmony this past summer for a few days when it was boiling hot everywhere else. Nice to just float around on a lake.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Re: Poconos, I went to Lake Harmony this past summer for a few days when it was boiling hot everywhere else. Nice to just float around on a lake.

yes, there's that

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:28 pm

I really think the biggest problem with the Poconos ( well two I guess) 1) they got such a cliche reputation for the tacky honeymoon spot and 2) being close to major populations it is severely overcrowded. I spent a week on Lake Wallenpaupack a few times. Nice lake area, good boating and fishing, but yes, overcrowded. I have done some fishing floating the Delaware River and have enjoyed that. Not saying it is my number one destination by any means, but not as bad as its rap.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:42 pm

The Water Gap area and Rt. 209 going north is actually very nice. The NJ side of the gap along with Worthington State Forest have far more hiking opportunities though. But the heart of the Poconos is pretty much a plateau. I prefer the Endless Mountains up around Potter County and the PA Grand Canyon

Stew Ingredient

Postby Homerj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:15 pm

How about the Finger Lakes in NY Stan?
We are heading there in August.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:46 am

Homer is on to something. Also there's the Hudson Valley. You can visit FDR's Hyde Park

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Finger Lakes could be nice. Right now I am just trying to get her to decide among two, I hate to add a third. We did a week in the Hudson Valley a couple years ago. It was a great trip.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:13 pm

If anyone still cares I ended up renting a cabin close to Ohiopyle (actually Confluence, PA). Right about $100/night.

Stew Ingredient

Postby twodogs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:56 pm

They stock in March and season opens April 1 so later in the month would be better unless you just plan to catch and release. Rain can be a problem, the last time I was working in Cumberland in April we planned to fish on the way back to PGH but the streams were cresting.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:56 pm

twodogs wrote:They stock in March and season opens April 1 so later in the month would be better unless you just plan to catch and release. Rain can be a problem, the last time I was working in Cumberland in April we planned to fish on the way back to PGH but the streams were cresting.

Thanks for the info. I am "fish when I can" kind of angler so I will wait and see but I don't mind catch and return at all (of course when I can I don't mind eating what I catch either). So long as it is legal and fairly safe (not in a flood) I just enjoy getting a line in the water.

Stew Ingredient

Postby twodogs » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:43 pm

If the streams are cresting head to the lake, rent a kayak and poke around the still water for panfish. They run small but are a lot of fun with a 4 or smaller rod.

http://www.aa-fishing.com/pa/pennsylvania-panfish-fishing.html

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Stew Ingredient

Postby 5waldos » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:44 pm

Cuba before we can't go again. Airfares keep being amazingly low. Airbnb's reasonable. Just keep track of every museum and concert you attend, take brief notes on every conversation you have with locals, keep receipts for any excursions, and you are good to go.

Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Postby Electrolyte » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:57 pm

I second New Orleans even if it is crowded.

Pittsburgh is 4 hours by car and the drive is nice.

Puerto Vallarta is nice. Great food. When we did it we got an almost 24 hr layover in Mexico City. Don't know if it's as good an option now that they have such good reasons to hate Americans.

Return to Travel Tips and Advice