Australian cultural sensitivity.

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

Re: Australian cultural sensitivity.

Postby Collateral Knowledge » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:39 pm

The thread on which the Aussies melted was one in a British newspaper where the critical comments about Australia specifically - on the first few pages, at least, which is as far as I read - are really quite mild and restrained. Most of the comments are simply disapproving of the sketch and show itself, not extrapolating about Australia in general. The response is totally out of proportion - Aussies treating it as a hypocritical and humorless attack on their country, angrily (sorry, 'laughing all the while') lash out at the UK and predictably the US while complaining they are shocked by the level of anti-Australian hatred (which as noted was very little). It's truly feeble.

All the deflectionary finger-pointing out by Aussies doesn't change that it was a shitty and stupid thing to do. And compared to British and American discussions of racism in their own countries, what's most striking is the number of Aussies who simply don't seem to get that there was anything wrong about the sketch in the first place - see for example the surreal criticism of Connick Jr as 'narrow-minded'. And those are Australian readers of the Guardian, FFS.

British and Americans might engage in something similar in the way of "whatabout...?" finger-pointing but you would be hard-pressed to find a remotely similarly proportion who were in bizarre denial of the offense in the first place, or who would gasp like prim spinsters that they shocked by the level of anti-British or anti-US sentiment. Aussies habitually speak derisively of those countries. This is just blokeish good humor, they tell us. Yet they are far more thin-skinned than yanks or Brits when some criticism is justly made of something from their own country.
Last edited by Collateral Knowledge on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
21 minutes of adventure!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Midnight » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:49 pm

OTB

mostly Spanish ethnicity and part Native American I pass off as a "wog",

How can you be part Native American, in Oz? What tribe?
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you are one.

Stew Ingredient

Postby misanthrope » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:51 pm

That's a very good summary.

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinceFoster » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:59 am

Their about as multicultural as the county fair in bumfuck Arkansas.
I'm so excited you decided
to come over and beg.

Stew Ingredient

Postby OnTheBall » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:47 am

Midnight wrote:OTB

mostly Spanish ethnicity and part Native American I pass off as a "wog",

How can you be part Native American, in Oz? What tribe?

My grandmother is half spanish half Quechua. Both my parents were born in Argentina, I was born in Australia.
equus: Let me ask, OTB - have you ever met a sexual predator or serial workplace sexual harasser?

jessica_fletcher: I suspect if he looked in the mirror, he has (showing that if you cannot win an argument, call the other person a sexual predator).

Stew Ingredient

Postby The Obama Nation » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:24 am

VinceFoster wrote:Their about as multicultural as the county fair in bumfuck Arkansas.

Doubtful.

Eastern Arkansas is full of formerly underpaid cotton pickers. Think Northwest Mississippi.
A rotation every 235 years is a good thing.

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:36 am

The Obama Nation wrote:
VinceFoster wrote:Their about as multicultural as the county fair in bumfuck Arkansas.

Doubtful.

Eastern Arkansas is full of formerly underpaid cotton pickers. Think Northwest Mississippi.

True. Lots of African-Americans historically, and now many folks from Mexico, Central America, and Southeast Asia due to the ag industries (esp. hogs and poultry).
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Previous

Return to Famous Dishes