Traveling Luggage

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Evil Overlord

Re: Traveling Luggage

Postby Ian_in_DC » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:09 pm

My rollerboard is olive green....plus, my luggage tag has my company's corporate logo in big font on it.
"You are the son of an incestuous union." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Bst6OXEUg

Male Prostitute
Location: Jon Stewart's Endangered Fish and Tiger Cub Warehouse

Postby Fred Garvin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:27 pm

americanjoe needs to stop eating fortune cookies - tph24601

Bachelor # 1 looks like he knows how to do laundry, and wipes his ass properly. - Chip_Oatley

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Postby Espina » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:39 pm

When I purchased my roller, there was a choice of three colors: Black, Grey or Red. I chose grey because I didn't want to get lost in the sea of black. I never saw anyone with the same grey bag until the new regulations hit that banned most carry-ons while the liquid/gel bomb issues got sorted out. So in Vegas I grabbed what I thought was my bag off the turnstyle and went to the cab line. About 15 minutes later (still in the cab line!!!) I got a call on my cell claiming that I had the wrong bag!! So I looked at the bag again ,told them that they were nuts , that I was catching the next cab and hung up!!! But before I could get to the cab two security guys came by, ID'd me, and explained that I had the wrong luggage and to follow them to the airline lost luggage office. However, while we were walking to the office this little white trash granny came running up and began screaming and pointing at me "That man has my bag! That man has my bag!!!". So I looked down at the bag, and sure enough, it had a pastel colored yarn tassel hooked into the handle!!! Anyhow, I had to sign some forms, get & verify my bag from TSA (they had dumped it and put an inspection notice inside) and then get back in the cab line...

My bag is like the one in the foto but opposite colors:Image

Stew Ingredient

Postby RandomThoughts » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:51 pm

My nephew came back from a trip and his luggage didn't - and a week or so went by and the airline couldn't locate it. Turns out some woman took the wrong bag off the carousel and took it home and didn't even bother to open it for over a week -and when she did ...she found man stuff and realized it wasn't her bag. What I never understood was that her bag had to be somewhere - so I don't know why it took so long to figure out the mistake.
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lime_Pickle » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:12 am

My beloved wheeled duffel is such an unusual shape (like a proper, sailors' duffel) and colour - a bitter chocolate - that I've had any problems identifying it. BA have 'lost' it twice and AA once but I've always got it back in the end.
Wibble.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:45 pm

Espina wrote:When I purchased my roller, there was a choice of three colors: Black, Grey or Red. I chose grey because I didn't want to get lost in the sea of black. I never saw anyone with the same grey bag until the new regulations hit that banned most carry-ons while the liquid/gel bomb issues got sorted out. So in Vegas I grabbed what I thought was my bag off the turnstyle and went to the cab line. About 15 minutes later (still in the cab line!!!) I got a call on my cell claiming that I had the wrong bag!! So I looked at the bag again ,told them that they were nuts , that I was catching the next cab and hung up!!! But before I could get to the cab two security guys came by, ID'd me, and explained that I had the wrong luggage and to follow them to the airline lost luggage office. However, while we were walking to the office this little white trash granny came running up and began screaming and pointing at me "That man has my bag! That man has my bag!!!". So I looked down at the bag, and sure enough, it had a pastel colored yarn tassel hooked into the handle!!! Anyhow, I had to sign some forms, get & verify my bag from TSA (they had dumped it and put an inspection notice inside) and then get back in the cab line...

And that is how espina found his way onto the terrorist watch list......
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Stew Ingredient

Postby soda 3.0 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:26 am

This really deserved to be famous dished - perhaps we could just cut out Ianus's "look at me! look at me! why does noone want to look at me?" wanking and save the rest?
Ian's English language error of the week: "That's why it wreaks of desperation"

Stew Ingredient

Postby StrangeLove » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:42 pm

avalon_ wrote:I feel too old to be traveling with a backpack.

I use day packs and backpacks for backcountry camping, but not really to travel anymore.

I'm older than you and I use a backpack. I travel extremely light and usually take an Eagle Creek convertible backpack. Its an internal frame one I don't think they make anymore. I have maybe a dozen backpacks from day pack size to a spear um21. You should get over it and do the backpack thing - they're really freaking practical.
Citizen Baba on 4/28/2015 wrote:If we ever do have that Baltimore piss up, I'll need to take a minute and a half break to kick strangelove's ass.

Stew Ingredient

Postby RandomThoughts » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:00 pm

I don't know if they're the most practical thing for women? I don't like the way you have to pack them up. Of course I'm not going to roll my luggage along the Appalachian Trail.. :lol: ... so a backpack has its uses. Although the one I used for walking the Camino de Santiago was easy enough to pack and arrange. Even so -I don't really like feeling like a turtle. For me -for "normal" travel - gotta be regular luggage of some sort.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:28 pm

StrangeLove wrote:I travel extremely light and usually take an Eagle Creek convertible backpack. Its an internal frame one I don't think they make anymore. I have maybe a dozen backpacks from day pack size to a spear um21. You should get over it and do the backpack thing - they're really freaking practical.

Convertible - does it have wheels?
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Stew Ingredient

Postby Harry Chorpita » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:05 am

Had a peak @ a bunch of Eagle Creek product today-not perfect but reasonably well made and well thought out.
Last edited by Harry Chorpita on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:12 am

I like my Eagle creek wheeled carryon
I also have the backpack but don't use it anymore as my back is not in great shape.Use the detachable day pack alot though
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:19 am

When is your next trip, judik?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:37 am

In less than a month
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby Hetty_Wainthropp » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:00 am

Oh my!

I've read all 7 pages of this dreck. When Mr. Wainthropp and I go international I always use my steamer trunk. I can put my winter, spring, summer, and fall wardrobes in that steamer along with all of my cosmetics. And let's face it, I'm a little long in the tooth these days so my arsenal of cosmetics is quite the collection.
How about a nice cuppa?

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:06 am

judik wrote:In less than a month

Nice.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:45 am

Judi you travel a lot! Where are you going?

Hi Hetty!

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:49 am

Aren't you off pretty soon to, avalon?

Hetty cracks me up.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:51 am

Actually, it is creeping up fast. I'm off for 2 weeks after this week. I have no plans! We're going to try to go snowboarding in Mammoth for a few days, but that's about it. I wanted to go to Hawaii, but I"m a little low on funds due to my trip in May.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:53 am

Yes, I thought you were going to Hawaii. Oh well, it will be nice to have the time off even if you just hang out.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:55 am

I keep checking prices to see if I can get any deals. If something comes up last minute I'm going. The price was really good a month ago when I was talking to you about it. I should have bought my ticket then.

Stew Ingredient

Postby StrangeLove » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:30 am

pezworld wrote:
StrangeLove wrote:I travel extremely light and usually take an Eagle Creek convertible backpack. Its an internal frame one I don't think they make anymore. I have maybe a dozen backpacks from day pack size to a spear um21. You should get over it and do the backpack thing - they're really freaking practical.

Convertible - does it have wheels?

No wheels. I don't see the model on their website anymore - its maybe 5 years old.

It looks something like: The Eagle Creek ORV Gear Bag

but its smaller and doesn't have the duffle bag look. It fits perfectly in the overhead - I don't check bags anymore, no matter how long I'm gone.
Citizen Baba on 4/28/2015 wrote:If we ever do have that Baltimore piss up, I'll need to take a minute and a half break to kick strangelove's ass.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:33 am

That looks like a duffel not a backpack. Does it have backpack straps or something?

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:39 am

I like a rafter's dry bag with backpack straps for traveling out of the country.

Stew Ingredient

Postby StrangeLove » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:01 am

avalon_ wrote:That looks like a duffel not a backpack. Does it have backpack straps or something?

Yes. Click on the above link and then the 'Multiple Views' link right under the image.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Harry Chorpita » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:39 am

For me the most important feature is that the main body of the bag must be long enough to accommodate my swim fins. 8)

Evil Overlord

Postby Ian_in_DC » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:13 am

To piggyback on this thread, what should I bring for my trip to Indonesia: A 42L backpack or a 22" rollerboard/wheelie-cart? I'm going to Jogja, Borobudor, Solo City, Mt. Bromo, Lombok, and Flores.
"You are the son of an incestuous union." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Bst6OXEUg

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:17 am

It depends on how much sewage you will be walking through.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Stew Ingredient

Postby RandomThoughts » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:43 am

Ooooh the curse of the Traveling Luggage thread! My husband and I were taking a long walk today and talking about our upcoming trip and the things we'd need to be packing and he said - "Sounds like our little backpack/roller suitcases are going to be too small. We might have to go luggage shopping!" I said... "Funny you mention it!....." And talked about this thread. So....I'll be reviewing now and seeing if any of the suggestions here will work for us.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:32 am

Ian, I think you should bring your 22" wheelie and a day pack.

Evil Overlord

Postby Ian_in_DC » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:03 pm

avalon_ wrote:Ian, I think you should bring your 22" wheelie and a day pack.

That's what I'm leaning towards. But what will I do if I come across a river of sewage masquerading as a road????

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Great read, I miss soda!

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Postby Espina » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:04 pm

Ha! Ha! I still use the phrase "rivers of shit" in conversation! Thanks, Soda

Previous

Return to Famous Dishes