Traveling Luggage

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Admin's Concubine

Re: Traveling Luggage

Postby pezworld » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:37 am

janieblack wrote:Image
The reason you need the backpack function and not just the wheels... And as an aside, I'd say this is one of the more dogged and dedicated fishermen I've ever seen.

Soda's put on some weight.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Modern Leftits

Postby equus » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:44 am

soda 3.0 wrote:
What a cretinous statement from Equus - seriously, you face a 5 min walk to your hotel, and then have to take a taxi the last 400m because it is uphill??!!

If you can go up 400 metres of icy cobblestones in less than 5 minutes while carrying a backpack, then you are doing pretty well. I think we need to see this on Youtube though before I believe it.

I've never had a problem going up hills with a wheely bag, actually, but youse blokes only seem to be able to participate in this discussion by first suggesting that the terrrain is really nasty "icy cobblestones" and then by sayi oh, well it's just a bit of a hill. Well if it's just 400 metres up hill, it's never caused a problem in the past. But I can't remember the last time I stayed at a hotel that was 5 minutes walk from the airport/bus stop/ trainstation, of which the last 400 metres was icy uphill cobblestones. But if I ever plan to do so, I'l be sure and take a backpack. Probably one with wheels on it.
Let no one build walls to divide us
Walls of hatred nor walls of stone
Come greet the dawn and stand beside us
We'll live together or we'll die alone

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lime_Pickle » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:50 am

I don't understand the repeated references to uphill/icy cobblestones and/or knee deep sewage.

I've only been to 40 countries but can't say that either terrain featured heavily in any of them.

Hills, mountains, jungle, desert, scrub, deltas, paddy fields and, of course, urban environments, yes.
Wibble.

Nutty Upside Down Cake

Postby janieblack » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:25 am

I don't understand the repeated references to uphill/icy cobblestones and/or knee deep sewage.

Actually, of all the countries I've been to, Bhutan might actually fit that decription under its more extreme conditions. But it'll be the guide's luggage dilemma if the vertical streets suddenly run with freezing poo. All avalon will have to do is shriek a lot and save herself.

And no one can convince me that wheelie luggage is a good idea in West Africa... but that's the only place I've been that I would start rabbiting on about rivers of shit and falling off boats and stuff if a friend showed me their wheelie luggage and their ticket to Bamako...
Having sex in an elevator is wrong on so many levels

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lime_Pickle » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:54 am

I've not been to West Africa (yet).

Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Bostwana, Kenya and Uganda, yes. But nowhere in the West.

I might be doing Benin and, possibly, Togo this spring, though. And I'm afraid I will be taking my wheeled duffel with me.
Wibble.

Stew Ingredient
Location: Bay Area -- SF, CA (Don't even think of calling it 'Frisco.')

Postby Wilster » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:47 pm

Lime_Pickle wrote:I don't understand the repeated references to uphill/icy cobblestones and/or knee deep sewage.

I've only been to 40 countries but can't say that either terrain featured heavily in any of them.

Hills, mountains, jungle, desert, scrub, deltas, paddy fields and, of course, urban environments, yes.

Well, SoDuh seems to make inferences that something is "common" or has a "fair" chance of occuring after having witnessed it onced, and I quote the "travel writer:"

Fair odds" is an idiom, Wilster. It does not mean 50/50 - it means fair. i.e. it means that the better has as much chance of winning as the bookmaker. It's a bit like saying "there is some chance" of something happening. It's a phrase I'd expect any native English speaker would have heard, particularly in the UK.

The reason I mention the bag dropping in the water was that I saw it once in Indonesia. A friendly local hotel owner grabbed this guys bag as the boat drifted on to the beach, the traveller shouted at him to leave it, the hotel owner slipped on the sand and...splash. It was only in a foot of water, and only for a few seconds, but even so....the joys of the wheelie bag.

I mean good grief... :roll:
My moniker is Wilster. How is my posting?

Call 1-800-EAT-SHIT

Evil Overlord

Postby Ian_in_DC » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:02 pm

Fair odds" is an idiom, Wilster. It does not mean 50/50 - it means fair. i.e. it means that the better has as much chance of winning as the bookmaker. It's a bit like saying "there is some chance" of something happening. It's a phrase I'd expect any native English speaker would have heard, particularly in the UK.

Soda, you can't really be this dumb. "Fair" in your context only means 50:50 odds (and nothing else) because that is the only occurrence when the bettor has as much chance as the bookie. How can it be equal if the bettor or bookie has a slightly better chance of winning (ie., 55:45, 40:60, etc.)? Jeeze, with such a flawed comprehension of statistics fundamentals, it's amazing you made it through university (oh wait, you never went in the first place).

I'd love to play cards against Soda.
"You are the son of an incestuous union." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Bst6OXEUg

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lime_Pickle » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:12 pm

In the UK we'd use something like 'hard cases make bad law' to express the idea that individuals and goverments shouldn't argue and/or plan based on highly unlikely, verging on the silly, iterations of something.

Is that what Americans call a strawman or does that mean something else?
Wibble.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:30 pm

Now, now people. No petty fights or attacks here please, unless it has to do with luggage. This is a RLMT (rolling luggage mega thread).

Stew Ingredient

Postby Wilster » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:32 pm

Ian_in_DC wrote:

Soda, you can't really be this dumb. "Fair" in your context only means 50:50 odds (and nothing else) because that is the only occurrence when the bettor has as much chance as the bookie. How can it be equal if the bettor or bookie has a slightly better chance of winning (ie., 55:45, 40:60, etc.)? Jeeze, with such a flawed comprehension of statistics fundamentals, it's amazing you made it through university (oh wait, you never went in the first place).

As usual, Ian completely nails it.

avalon_ wrote:Now, now people. No petty fights or attacks here please, unless it has to do with luggage. This is a RLMT (rolling luggage mega thread).

Lime Pickle started it!

Call 1-800-EAT-SHIT

Stew Ingredient

Postby snowgirl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:17 pm

This thread is hilarious. Like leelee thought this thread would be lame--who can talk for five pages about luggage. I should have known since it was an avalon post. This is my favourite line:
Actually, of all the countries I've been to, Bhutan might actually fit that decription under its more extreme conditions. But it'll be the guide's luggage dilemma if the vertical streets suddenly run with freezing poo. All avalon will have to do is shriek a lot and save herself.

Janie, I laughed out loud. I'm a wheelie girl myself but in all fairness most of my travels lately have been European.

edit for typos
Last edited by snowgirl on Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:19 pm

What cracks me up most is that everyone has stayed on topic.

Stew Ingredient

Postby flatfoot » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:21 pm

This is Favorite Dishes material.

Stew Ingredient

Postby snowgirl » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:23 pm

avalon_ wrote:What cracks me up most is that everyone has stayed on topic.

Yeah. Doesn't anyone want to talk about the best luggage for travel to Palestine?
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:25 pm

All luggage related discussions are relevant here, snowchica.

Here's something that annoys me about my packing habits... The shorter the trip the more crap I take and the bigger suitcase I lug along. I take my smallest luggage on long trips.

Stew Ingredient

Postby thoughtpolice » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:45 pm

avalon_ wrote:Image

Check out the gloves, it looks like Michael Jackson has gained a few pounds.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:52 pm

That's not Michael. That's a picture of me with my current luggage.

Nutty Upside Down Cake

Postby janieblack » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Lime_Pickle wrote:I've not been to West Africa (yet).

Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Bostwana, Kenya and Uganda, yes. But nowhere in the West.

I might be doing Benin and, possibly, Togo this spring, though. And I'm afraid I will be taking my wheeled duffel with me.

As the Aussies say, "she'll be right mate". Chances are that whatever luggage you put on the plane to Benin won't get off the plane anyhow... My first trip to W Africa was done entirely luggage-less. Well, until I bought a kid's school pack at the market and stuffed it with boisterously printed pants bought at the market and "antimalarials" bought at the market.... etc.
Having sex in an elevator is wrong on so many levels

Stew Ingredient

Postby soda 3.0 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:23 am

Ian_in_DC wrote:

Ian - you can't really be this dumb either - the term comes from SPORTS BETTING

Is Manchester United versus Scunthorpe a 50/50 game??

Now seriously - be a man and come back and admit that in your obsession with attacking everything I post, you got it totally wrong, again.

But of course you won't, because that would mean growing a set of balls.
Ian's English language error of the week: "That's why it wreaks of desperation"

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:36 am

because that would mean growing a set of balls.

Balls are round.
Round things roll.
Wheelies are round and they roll...

Hey! Soda is promoting wheelies!!!

Evil Overlord

Postby Ian_in_DC » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:17 am

soda 3.0 wrote:Ian - you can't really be this dumb either - the term comes from SPORTS BETTING

Is Manchester United versus Scunthorpe a 50/50 game??

I stand corrected, Soda: You really ARE this dumb, and true to form, can't even admit your mistake. You state, and I quote:

Fair odds" is an idiom, Wilster. It does not mean 50/50 - it means fair. i.e. it means that the better has as much chance of winning as the bookmaker. It's a bit like saying "there is some chance" of something happening

That is the definition of 50:50 odds. Full. Stop. Go back to your rudimentary stats course and demand your money back. In your example, the odds are NOT fair because both teams don't have an equal chance of winning - that's why the odds are stacked in ManU's favor, dunce. You'd have to be a huge dimwit, and a poorly educated one at that, to argue otherwise.

How long before the oft-regurgitated "I was trolling you all along" chestnut is whipped out?
"You are the son of an incestuous union." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Bst6OXEUg

Stew Ingredient

Postby candy is dandy but... » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:04 am

'Fair odds' are not the same as 'even odds'.
It's amusing that pricks like Ian and Wilster will dig themselves in without taking the trouble to check their claims.

"Fair odds equalize opportunities of a bookmaker to have a profit, and a bettor to win. In decimal notation, they are equal to the inverse value of probability. Synonyms are true odds, refined odds."
I want my fucking money back

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lime_Pickle » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:41 am

As the Aussies say, "she'll be right mate". Chances are that whatever luggage you put on the plane to Benin won't get off the plane anyhow...

It's lucky that almost all my clothes are cheap crap then, innit?

I buy posher hangers than I do clothes . . .
Wibble.

Evil Overlord

Postby Ian_in_DC » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:56 pm

candy is dandy but... wrote:'Fair odds' are not the same as 'even odds'.
It's amusing that pricks like Ian and Wilster will dig themselves in without taking the trouble to check their claims.

"Fair odds equalize opportunities of a bookmaker to have a profit, and a bettor to win. In decimal notation, they are equal to the inverse value of probability. Synonyms are true odds, refined odds."

I'm sorry, but this prick is going to prove Candy wrong (again). Yes, "fair chance" does NOT mean even odds. However, this is exactly how soda defined fair chance:

it means that the better [sic] has as much chance of winning as the bookmaker

Dismissing Soda's obvious homonym error, his quote is the definition of EVEN ODDS (the "as much chance" is the crux). There is only one condition where both have an equal chance of winning: 50:50 odds. Perhaps there is a more deserving "victim" for you to rescue, Candy, since you've aligned yourself with a patently wrong cause?

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Postby Espina » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:52 pm

to drag up some old baggage, can this can turn into an Ian-Soda giga-thread...???

Evil Overlord

Postby Ian_in_DC » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Espina wrote:to drag up some old baggage, can this can turn into an Ian-Soda giga-thread...???

I do have that marketing power and brand recognition.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:54 pm

Espina wrote:to drag up some old baggage, can this can turn into an Ian-Soda giga-thread...???

Way to stay on topic, Espina! I think their fighting is just a minor glitch. Let's try to roll on through this one.

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Postby Espina » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:05 pm

...umm where are you going again??? Himalayas & Tropics??? hmmm you'll need super sized bum bag thing, you know, like the ski patrol carries...and you'll need a duffle bag to store the cold weather gear at the airport!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Tomska » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Blimey, what a thread.

Wheelies are for girls, but that's OK cos Avalon's a girl, and pretty enough to be able to flutter her lashes at some passing chap when she encounters soda's mythical street of poo.

Being a bit more honest, I've got a really good Eastpak wheelie-duffel thing but it's just for cities. If I was going anywhere rural or expecting to walk more than a couple of hundred yards I'd stick to my trusty backpack - it's just so much easier. The idea of going anywhere not covered in tarmac with a wheelie bag seems nuts to me.
Ya mama got a glass eye with a fish in it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Wilster » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:20 pm

avalon_ wrote:

Way to stay on topic, Espina! I think their fighting is just a minor glitch. Let's try to roll on through this one.

Is this a pun and intended???

I will have an image of moi and what I use to trapse around the world with, but in the past. Just need someone to scan (yes, I actually use to take film-pictures) a picture for me.

And to stay in just one sidebar here; I am waiting for more of the "extreme latent psychosis" here. LOL...

Call 1-800-EAT-SHIT

Stew Ingredient

Postby thoughtpolice » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:50 pm

avalon_ wrote:That's not Michael. That's a picture of me with my current luggage.

I do not want you to think that I find you less than very, very hot but- and please don't take this as a criticism- but your orthopedic welfare may well benefit from wearing a bra. Things seem to have migrated south.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Tomska--Awww. Thank you.
Wilster--Yes, it was my poor attempt at a pun
TPolice--Thanks for the suggestion. I have been suffering back problems, and that could be the reason why.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthernLight » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:14 pm

This is truly a lovely thread. aero and I had a similar chat on the old PKU thread about luggage, that enthralled people nearly as much as this one has.

I have one of the original Victorinox trek packs - the wheelie bag with backpack straps and a click-on-able day pack. I used it in India and Sri Lanka. One of the downsides was that using the backpack feature after it's been rolling in muck means you are potentially going to get yourself filthy. That version had less storage space that you might think, particularly with the external material molded the way it is. The new version looked more amenable to having extras stuffed in. It was stuffed through windows to get it onto overcrowded buses. It isn't great as a long distance backpack, but is handy enough for shorter distances. I liked the newer version that I saw at an REI shop last year, but I didn't like the price tag that day.

I also have one of the Victorinox Werks which just absorbs like crazy and therefore is prone to ending up weighing too much at the airport. It's very durable ... I lost control of that bag at Heathrow on the escalator and it went ass over teakettle (with the handle extended) all the way to the bottom and was still fine. The external pockets on this bag are useless but in the most recent model they've addressed that by making the external pockets open along two sides so that you can get better access.

My best bag was my very first backpack. It was designed by a Toronto company and was adjustable for the height of the wearer. I moved from that one to a smaller bag - which didn't have as well a constructed hip strap though but it fit under the seat of the plane and I could go away for months with just it. That bag died from overuse. I've never found one to replace it and now have the wheelie bags.
"A male usually had made up his mind before you began to talk to him -so why bother?- but a female, because her mind was more supple, was always prepared to become more disappointed in you than she had yet suspected possible."
— G. Maguire

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:04 am

I just bought my wife this one.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/bags_luggage/Just_Landed/Switchback-Max-25-20218/

Now she's ready for wheeled convenience as well as cobblestones and sewage floods.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Modern Leftits

Postby equus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:23 am

section8 wrote:I just bought my wife this one.

Now she's ready for wheeled convenience as well as cobblestones and sewage floods.

And it has "Panel loading for easy packing and unpacking "

A bag we can all support.

Stew Ingredient

Postby flatfoot » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:45 am

I like the " Soft, fleece-lined interior pocket for electronics or sunglasses ". So thoughtful!

Modern Leftits

Postby equus » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:54 am

It is also "Waterproof and teflon coated for easy removal of kneedeep shit". That's pretty handy.

Stew Ingredient

Postby RandomThoughts » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Harrumph... I feel like my suggested suitcase was overlooked and not given proper vetting. Pez's friend seems to be using one like mine in her picture. I like the looks of the one Section 8 linked - it is in a similar vein (but nicer and more expensive) than what I suggested.

And not to derail Avalon's search for true luggage... but I'm going to Spain in a few weeks and I don't know which suitcase to use! Any suggestions? :wink: Just kidding. I think I can figure it out by myself.
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:23 pm

section8 wrote:I just bought my wife this one.

And it comes in "Palm" and "Sienna"!
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:54 pm

Random, are you going to take the one you suggested?

Sec, I really like that bag. It says it's compatible with those packing cubes that Eagle Creek makes. I've been using those for a while and I absolutely love them. You should get some for your wife to help her bag be more organized. Where are you two off to?

Packing cubes:http://www.rei.com/product/658662
I highly recommend these little things for travel.

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:04 pm

She has to travel to AZ for a few days on two different trips this month. Also we're planning to go somewhere for 4-6 weeks next year (either Panama and Brazil or possibly Spain and Morocco). It's kind of an early graduation present since that is partly why she has to travel.

Those module things look useful. We have to carry lots of 'catagories' of stuff due to spawn's stuff.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:08 pm

I love them. A few years back they made all clear ones so it was so easy to see your stuff from both sides. I'm bummed they stopped making them like that. The other kind aren't bad though, I have and use them too. Most of my stuff gets organized in them and I have very little loose in my bag.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Packing cubes are the shit.... Make a backpack much more practical.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Stew Ingredient

Postby candy is dandy but... » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:51 pm

I use the little cotton drawstring bags that new shoes come in. Are those cube things rigid?
I want my fucking money back

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:54 pm

The cubes are soft and pliable. Check out the video that's on the link. I usually get a double roll of clothes in one. They come in different sizes. They're total space savers and keep your stuff super organized.

Stew Ingredient

Postby AntiEverything » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:18 pm

STOP THIS FUCKING MADNESS
Take note of the above comment. It may change your life.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:49 pm

s8, you are a good husband. And you can cook!

I think my friend's pack is an Eagle Creek.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Trustigious

Postby Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:55 pm

I'm gonna go play with Army men.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:03 pm

avalon_ wrote: I usually get a double roll of clothes in one.

You roll your clothes?.... I never thought that was worth the effort. You save minimal room, and your clothes always look wrinkled......
So, i guess we found our next topic, fold or roll?

Ive got a few of these eagle creek cubes.... Total life savers.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Do laundry

PreviousNext

Return to Famous Dishes