Traveling Luggage

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

Traveling Luggage

Postby avalon_ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:17 am

I'm trying to decide what type of luggage to bring on my trip. I normally travel with a rolling mini suitcase, but I'm not sure it's going to work for this trip. I have a strong aversion to taking a backpack, other than a large daypack.

Help.

What do you all travel with? Do you bring different types of luggage for different kinds of trips?

Stew Ingredient

Re: Traveling Luggage

Postby Piel! » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:19 am

The Blowkiest Bloek in the whole of Bleakdom

bark brak! bark barack karp! bark!

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:21 am

What's your concern about the rolling mini suitcase?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Wanted: Dead or Alive

Postby Espina » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:25 am

...I'm a 1/2 the clothes twice the money traveler, so I generally go with either a backpack or rolling carry-on w/ a briefcase. If I know I'll be coming back with a load of stuff, then I also stuff a duffle bag into my carry-on. That and a fanny pack/bum bag thing is about it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:30 am

northern_goddess wrote:What's your concern about the rolling mini suitcase?

I'm worried about it not doing well on certain terrains. What if I need to walk down the beach in Koh Samet to find accommodation? Will I be able to roll it along the beach with me?

I will be doing an over night trek in Bhutan, but maybe I can get away with my day pack and store the rollie for the night?

Decisions, decisions.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:33 am

I have taken my roll/wheeled luggage with me everywhere and been able to manage sand, trains, hills, pebbled roads, whatever. If it's a small suitcase and sand is a problem for wheeled luggage, can you not just carry it instead for that particular point in time?

I suppose you need to figure out how often wheels will be a benefit vs a problem.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Postby Espina » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:39 am

Get a rolling backpack thing.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:43 am

I thought of that, Espina. But they're so heavy I wouldn't want it on my back! I wouldn't mind have a duffle or soft rollie. My rollie is kinda heavy.

Instigator

Postby cuchulainn » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:19 am

Why do you have an aversion to backpacks?

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:21 am

I feel too old to be traveling with a backpack.

I use day packs and backpacks for backcountry camping, but not really to travel anymore.

Instigator

Postby cuchulainn » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:24 am

Sellout.

Postby Espina » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:27 am

...hire a porter for 500 baht per day!!!

Modern Leftits

Postby equus » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:53 am

avalon_ wrote:I feel too old to be traveling with a backpack.

I use day packs and backpacks for backcountry camping, but not really to travel anymore.

I stopped using backpacks for travel when I could afford taxis. Other than ease of carrying them over long distances, they are a pain in the arse in every way.
Let no one build walls to divide us
Walls of hatred nor walls of stone
Come greet the dawn and stand beside us
We'll live together or we'll die alone

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:59 am

equus wrote:
avalon_ wrote:I feel too old to be traveling with a backpack.

I stopped using backpacks for travel when I could afford taxis. Other than ease of carrying them over long distances, they are a pain in the arse in every way.

EYE DEGREE.

Modern Leftits

Postby equus » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:05 am

You can get wheelable duffles, btw. Slings over the shoulder when needed, and rolls along when the terrain is ok for that.

The other thing is, the bigger the wheel, the more nasty terrain it will cope with.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:06 am

equus wrote:You can get wheelable duffles, btw. Slings over the shoulder when needed, and rolls along when the terrain is ok for that.

The other thing is, the bigger the wheel, the more nasty terrain it will cope with.

The only wheelable duffles I have seen are ridiculously heavy.

Modern Leftits

Postby equus » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:09 am

northern_goddess wrote:
equus wrote:You can get wheelable duffles, btw. Slings over the shoulder when needed, and rolls along when the terrain is ok for that.

The only wheelable duffles I have seen are ridiculously heavy.

I see them used a lot as sports bags (ie, to carry baseball kit etc). No idea how heavy they are.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Piel! » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:40 am

avalon_ wrote:But they're so heavy I wouldn't want it on my back!

Did you try the North Face wheeled bags? The DoubleTrack and LongHaul are pretty good and I think they come in different capacities.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:09 am

I'll take a look at those, piel.

I just looked at the packing list for Bhutan and because I am doing a trek they recommend a duffle and a day pack. I think they haul the duffle up for me and I carry a day pack. But that's just 2 days of my trip.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Piel! » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:14 am

I'd recommend the tough & water resistant (to a degree) North Face Base Camp Duffel. It's also available in different sizes.

Stew Ingredient

Postby soda 3.0 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:36 am

I find the idea of travelling in the Third World with a suitcase hilarious - you might as well pack an anchor.

For urban and/or First World travel of course they make a lot of sense, but for any kind of travel in rural areas and the Third World they are a complete liability.

I would say that less than 10% of people travelling in seriously remote countries use wheelie bags, and there is a very good reason for that.
Ian's English language error of the week: "That's why it wreaks of desperation"

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:45 am

soda 3.0 wrote:I find the idea of travelling in the Third World with a suitcase hilarious - you might as well pack an anchor.

For urban and/or First World travel of course they make a lot of sense, but for any kind of travel in rural areas and the Third World they are a complete liability.

I would say that less than 10% of people travelling in seriously remote countries use wheelie bags, and there is a very good reason for that.

soda, I often agree with you about things but when it comes to this subject I could care less what is 'fashionable' or not. It's about what works best when you are trying to get around. While the idea of a suitcase or a wheeled suitcase may seem out of place in some 3rd world areas... I could really not give a shit. I'm simply interested in what will make the most sense. If the locals are laughing at me, so be it.... They can deal with their sore backs and shoulders and I'll be ready to go out and spend several more hours exploring.

I'm not sure what you think the "very good reason" for not using a wheelie bag is. Like I said. I've taken them everywhere.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:51 am

Thailand isn't really 3rd world and I'm not traipsing through jungles or anything. I'm pretty much visiting standard places; not remote.
The trekking bit throws a wrench in it a bit. That combined with island and beach visits.

Modern Leftits

Postby equus » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:55 am

soda 3.0 wrote:I find the idea of travelling in the Third World with a suitcase hilarious - you might as well pack an anchor.

That's silly. Just because somewhere is rural or third world doesn't make wheelie bags impractical. I've used them heaps of times in Ecuador. Perfectly fine for going from the house to the cab, from cab to bus station, slinging on top of the chicken bus and then from the bus walking around town to find the next hotel. I wouldn't use one if I was hiking the inca trail, but that's already been acknowledged. Other than that, if there is a reasonably flat surface, a rollaboard style bag is fine, and you can pack it sensibly rather than having to jam stuff through a little round hole in the top.

It may not be traveller chic, but it's perfectly practical.

Modern Leftits

Postby equus » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:56 am

avalon_ wrote:Thailand isn't really 3rd world and I'm not traipsing through jungles or anything. I'm pretty much visiting standard places; not remote.
The trekking bit throws a wrench in it a bit. That combined with island and beach visits.

I took mine to the Galapagos.

the only place i wouldn't try to take one, for obvious reasons, would be trekking, but if it's going on the back of a horse or camel or something, then even then I'd be happy to take it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:15 am

My 22inch wheeled bag has a handle on the top and the side for when rolling it is impractical
Imagine that!
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby soda 3.0 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:29 am

northern_goddess wrote:
soda, I often agree with you about things but when it comes to this subject I could care less what is 'fashionable' or not.

God no, neither could I. If I was worried about being fashionable I'd have dreads, piercings and hang out in Kathmandu.

This is a matter of practicality, pure and simple. Of course, whatever kind of bag you use you'll manage with it one way or another, but realistically, wheelie bags are meant for cities and taxis, and aren't meant for places with cobbled or muddy streets, for walking around checking out hotels, getting on or off boats, or for trekking.

For a trip through Paris, Rome, NYC or London I think a wheelie bag may well be easier - for Cusco, India, the Indonesian islands they are a liability, and I imagine the very few people who use them spend much of the day cursing them.

Stew Ingredient

Postby soda 3.0 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:36 am

equus wrote: slinging on top of the chicken bus and then from the bus walking around town to find the next hotel. I wouldn't use one if I was hiking the inca trail, but that's already been acknowledged.

So a wheelie bag is better than a backpack for walking around a town with broken cobble stones and muddy streets?

Seriously - the only way that makes sense to me is if you are worried carrying a backpack makes you look funny.

Stew Ingredient

Postby candy is dandy but... » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:12 am

If there's any danger at all of you having to carry your own gear more that 100 yards then a backpack is the only way to go, IMHO. Get an alpinist style lightweight one like this http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/deuteract_lite_45sl/ Image and buy a heavy duty nylon duffle top put it in for flights and bus rides (also if it needs to be strapped to a trekking pony). The Duffle should fit in the top pocket of the rucksack. A wheelybag is a bad ideas in places like Thimpu because of the holes in the road and gullies and culverts you have to jump across. In any indian city or Khatmandu you'd be dragging it through rubbish, shit and pools of god knows what. Ridiculous.

You are unlikely to trek in Bhutan without ponies.
I want my fucking money back

Stew Ingredient

Postby Piel! » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:59 am

Soda and Candy are the voice or reason and common sense in this thread.

special sauce

Postby justinian » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:43 pm

I have an Eddie Bauer rolling bag. It has duffel handels, and in the back inside pocket, backpack straps for when a wheel bag is impractical.

I travel almost every week, and use the bag for airport and city business travel, as well as "third world, impractical" travel - and it's probably the best bag that I have had. And I have had a lot of bags.

Go check out Target, it's actually really affordable.
The HOFF, people! Knight Fuckin' RIDER right in the reclining chair section!! -- nettie

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:52 pm

Which Eddie B bag is it? Target has a bunch online.

Stew Ingredient

Postby flatfoot » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:18 pm

I bought a wheeled duffel for my Cuba trip, kinda like the one above. I thought I didn't need a backpack since I was traveling to cities anyway, and for the most part I was happy with it, until I went to Trinidad where the streets there are rough and cobbled.

To be honest, I don't think you'll need a backpack even in Bhutan – you probably won't even be carrying it at any point during your stay there – because you'll have your tour people with you at all times. And you'll probably be cabbing and tuk-tukking it in Thailand and Cambodia, so again, a backpack isn't necessary if you don't like the look.

The wheeled duffel is a good compromise. It's convenient, and it looks third-world appropriate.
Last edited by flatfoot on Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stew Ingredient

Postby RandomThoughts » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:19 pm

http://www.packinglight.net/plight/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=High+Sierra+AT+Gear+Access+Carry%2Don+Rolling+Backpack&pf_id=PAAAIAGDJOPPIMAJ&dept_id=3074

Not budget/bargain stuff, but we have something like this one (in the carry-on size)- it is a rolling suitcase, but has a zip compartment on the back that has backpack straps if you need to carry it that way... and... regular luggage handle on the side too. It unzips/packs like a suitcase. Then it has a zip-on day-pack sized backpack that you can take on and off. We carried them on the plane for a trip to Italy -using the little backpack for our flight essentials. I think they're relatively lightweight too as luggage goes.
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

Stew Ingredient

Postby soda 3.0 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:44 pm

To be honest, I don't think you'll need a backpack even in Bhutan – you probably won't even be carrying it at any point during your stay th

I think that is absolutely dreadful advice.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:03 pm

judik wrote:My 22inch wheeled bag has a handle on the top and the side for when rolling it is impractical
Imagine that!

Same. My wheels have always been able to navigate cobbled and dirt streets too.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Capitolhill » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:08 pm

I'm hardly a backpack purist, but I agree with soda.

A backpack in Japan is kind of dopey. In SE Asia, it's where the term "backpacker circuit" was coined. Locals and tourists alike are fairly casually dressed throughout that area, so unless you need to keep formal evening wear wrinkle free, I'd just go with the backpack.

Further, I wouldn't worry about being too old for a backpack in SEA. There are 60 year olds with packs out there.
Hi eric!

Stew Ingredient

Postby soda 3.0 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:58 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
judik wrote:My 22inch wheeled bag has a handle on the top and the side for when rolling it is impractical
Imagine that!

Same. My wheels have always been able to navigate cobbled and dirt streets too.

Well sure, but as I said earlier, most of us will survive with whatever kind of bag we take - because all of the options are doable, but to me the question is more about what is MOST practical.

Dragging a wheelie bag down broken cobblestones, mud or through shit - or carrying it over them using a handle - is always going to be harder work than carrying a backpack such as the one Candy posted a pic of earlier. Packs are made to be carried, wheelie bags aren't really.

And yet in a place like Bhutan, the chances of needing to carry the bag are extremely high.

The mere thought of dragging a wheelie bag through the monsoon mud and donkey shit of somewhere like Kathmandu strikes me as being more than a little unpleasant.

Stew Ingredient

Postby soda 3.0 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:59 pm

Candy -

I thought your pack/duffel idea was genius. I'm definitely going to use that for Rwanda this summer.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:11 pm

It's interesting to see the range of responses. It's not helping me!!!

Did I mention I have neck and back problems and my arms aren't that strong?

Stew Ingredient

Postby soda 3.0 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:21 pm

avalon_ wrote:It's interesting to see the range of responses. It's not helping me!!!

Did I mention I have neck and back problems and my arms aren't that strong?

Ha! I thought of that earlier - you've got half the replies saying 'Don't be an idiot! Get a wheelie' and the other half saying "Don't be an idiot! Get a pack!"

The pack should only be a problem on the neck & back if it is too heavy - if you can stick to 12 kilos or so that should be fine. I'd have thought carrying a wheelie bag over the inevitable shit and mud would have been quite tough - on the rare occasions I carry my pack by it's side strap it kills me after about 30 seconds.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:30 pm

Backpacks are uncomfortable, heavy and sweaty (in hot places).

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:31 pm

And they are only 'practical' for the 3-5% of the time when you are in deep sand. Otherwise wheels win!!

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:35 pm

I tried on a glorified day pack at REI yesterday. I wish that would work for 3 weeks travel, but I just don't think it will.

Backpacks are only difficult for me when I have to put them on or carry them by a handle. Walking around with one on my back is fine as long as it's well fitted. Wheelies are difficult to lift and carry when it's needed.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:37 pm

avalon_ wrote:I tried on a glorified day pack at REI yesterday. I wish that would work for 3 weeks travel, but I just don't think it will.

Backpacks are only difficult for me when I have to put them on or carry them by a handle. Walking around with one on my back is fine as long as it's well fitted. Wheelies are difficult to lift and carry when it's needed.

And somewhere in there lies your answer... :)

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:39 pm

I should have made this a pole.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:45 pm

avalon_ wrote:I should have made this a pole.

Or a poll even. It would have ended up with the same results though.

I've used both and when I've had a backpack I have spent more time wishing I didn't and that I had a suitcase with wheels than when I've had a suitcase with wheels and wished I had a backpack.

Maybe that's what you should do. I can remember specific times/instances when I wished I either didn't have my backpack or didn't have my suitcase. The intensity of the discomfort/annoyance, etc has firmly put me in the anti-packbacking brigade camp. Try to think of times when you wished you had whatever you didn't have and see if that leads you to some conclusion.

Stew Ingredient

Postby soda 3.0 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:48 pm

northern_goddess wrote:And they are only 'practical' for the 3-5% of the time when you are in deep sand. Otherwise wheels win!!

That really is not true at all. I can think of a good half dozen situations where wheelies are a hazard - getting on an off boats, trekking, using horse/camels, putting luggage on the top of a bus, and particularly walking around trying to find a hotel - in each case a pack is simply easier and more practical.

I think it's interesting to look back through this thread and see that a lot of the posters who have really travelled a lot tend to use packs.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:49 pm

I used the older version of this
http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swiss_a ... NXTAG00001

in India and it worked well. Rolling backpack, Victorinox.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:53 pm

soda 3.0 wrote:
northern_goddess wrote:And they are only 'practical' for the 3-5% of the time when you are in deep sand. Otherwise wheels win!!

That really is not true at all. I can think of a good half dozen situations where wheelies are a hazard - getting on an off boats, trekking, using horse/camels, putting luggage on the top of a bus, and particularly walking around trying to find a hotel - in each case a pack is simply easier and more practical.

I think it's interesting to look back through this thread and see that a lot of the posters who have really travelled a lot tend to use packs.

You are wrong.

Next

Return to Famous Dishes