Roadwarrior thread locked?

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

Roadwarrior thread locked?

Postby Scott_Baio » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:01 pm

It must be a mistake, right mods?

I mean I know you clowns wouldn't lock a thread where a couple of long term members were having a spirited discussion and some good old fashioned fun would you?

Are your lives so empty and shallow that you couldn't stand to see your active members having a little fun?

Belch.
Haters wanna hate.

special sauce

Postby justinian » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:03 pm

They're actually clearing out the clutter, making more room for you and Chewy exclusively. I think it's sweet.
The HOFF, people! Knight Fuckin' RIDER right in the reclining chair section!! -- nettie

Stew Ingredient

Postby cowtown » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:07 pm

mutha is fixing
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scott_Baio » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:11 pm

Chewy is the cyber-equivalent of a guy putting a lampshade on his head at the party.

Cheesy, corny, and sadly embarrassing.

Chewy will never get it.
Haters wanna hate.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scott_Baio » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:13 pm

If the mods think they are going to clean this place up because the Chewsers have migrated here then they have another thing coming.

Mods....speak up for yourselves and explain your decision. We all know that when you explain your mod actions then it makes everything better for the community.
Haters wanna hate.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:17 pm

It was actually an interesting thread until you and your buddy q went at it again.

Stew Ingredient

Postby q5qreloaded » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:44 pm

skidders, you live for me, but you can never be me. accept your pitiful fate and be done with it, 'k?

Stew Ingredient

Postby RoadWarrior » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:12 pm

It's kinda cute to be remembered after all these years. It's a bit of a shame that the remembrance movement is led by a misogynist who can't get laid with anyone who doesn't accept Visa and Mastercard and by one of the lowest form of scum on the planet (read: a car salesman.) But I guess I'll take what I can get.

By the way, I did leave primarily because of the Greeks, they were on a behind-the-scenes rampage to run the joint into the ground, instead of increasing the traffic. By the time that they left, I had gotten busy with other projects and figured that the critical mass for building the site had already gone.

You had a limited window to make things happen, and it came to the point that it was no longer doable. The real shame of it is that you had a genuine opportunity to make this one of the more popular political forums on the internet, with enough traffic to expand the content and possibly even make the site self-supporting. But that critical mass is now gone and it wouldn't be worth the effort to try again, as the odds of succeeding now are too low to justify the work.

It hasn't helped that you've allowed the lowest common denominator like the OP here to set the tone around here, which is going to limit your crowd to a few diehards from the Good Old Days, and assholes who need a place to act out beyond their basements. Some of us tried to warn you, but you didn't get it. So enjoy the infantile car salesman and his cut-and-paste belching, because it's posters like him who have helped to reduce this to an impolite, incestuous version of Your Choice.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:28 pm

RoadWarrior wrote:So enjoy the infantile car salesman and his cut-and-paste belching, because it's posters like him who have helped to reduce this to an impolite, incestuous version of Your Choice.

Hey Roadie, I'd say welcome back and glad to see you...

But honestly, I'm disappointed to see you reduce the interesting dialog in TP and elsewhere on the Stew from dozens or hundreds of intelligent posters to an inaccurate stereotype in order to attack a single poster you clearly don't like. I thought you were way above those kinds of petty insults.

I'm sorry the board isn't the dismal failure you'd clearly hoped for in your absence. But you really do insult not just Baio, but all of us who keep coming back every day because we choose to. I'm sorry to report, the board is fairly active. We're not making advertising revenue, but we're not that kind of a place.

Stick around and see for yourself, if you're so inclined.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:38 pm

I'm tired of old posters coming here & handling Scobo with kid gloves.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Dallan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:57 pm

rider5 wrote:I'm tired of old posters coming here & handling Scobo with kid gloves.

Scobo only is able to ruin threads because one or two people cooperate by responding to his every provocation in kind. See above.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Dallan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:59 pm

RoadWarrior wrote:It's kinda cute to be remembered after all these years. It's a bit of a shame that the remembrance movement is led by a misogynist who can't get laid with anyone who doesn't accept Visa and Mastercard and by one of the lowest form of scum on the planet (read: a car salesman.) But I guess I'll take what I can get.

By the way, I did leave primarily because of the Greeks, they were on a behind-the-scenes rampage to run the joint into the ground, instead of increasing the traffic. By the time that they left, I had gotten busy with other projects and figured that the critical mass for building the site had already gone.

You had a limited window to make things happen, and it came to the point that it was no longer doable. The real shame of it is that you had a genuine opportunity to make this one of the more popular political forums on the internet, with enough traffic to expand the content and possibly even make the site self-supporting. But that critical mass is now gone and it wouldn't be worth the effort to try again, as the odds of succeeding now are too low to justify the work.

It hasn't helped that you've allowed the lowest common denominator like the OP here to set the tone around here, which is going to limit your crowd to a few diehards from the Good Old Days, and assholes who need a place to act out beyond their basements. Some of us tried to warn you, but you didn't get it. So enjoy the infantile car salesman and his cut-and-paste belching, because it's posters like him who have helped to reduce this to an impolite, incestuous version of Your Choice.

The Greeks were indifferent, not destructive. Demanding handover of the site didn't help the situation.

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:10 pm

I know who the car salesman is, but who is the other guy mentioned? Cow, Justinian, q, or mutha?
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Dallan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:45 pm

Scobo is Scotty.

Stew Ingredient

Postby RoadWarrior » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:15 am

section8 wrote:I know who the car salesman is, but who is the other guy mentioned? Cow, Justinian, q, or mutha?

I was referring to Fritz, who posted the OP that this thread refers to. (I got a PM at my LP account about this.)

pezworld wrote:But honestly, I'm disappointed to see you reduce the interesting dialog in TP and elsewhere on the Stew from dozens or hundreds of intelligent posters to an inaccurate stereotype in order to attack a single poster you clearly don't like.

You miss the point. I don't blame the car salesman for being an blathering rude fuck -- that's common to those in his "profession," and his persona was well established long before he began posting here.

Rather, I blame individuals such as yourself for providing a refuge for the lowest common denominator. You could have put aside your own personal desires to defend the bottom feeders when it was obvious how destructive they are to this forum, but you put your personal whims over the needs of the site, and the site has paid for it.

I know that you meant well. But you pursued your ill-advised beliefs at the expense of numerous other posters who bailed out of here because they don't like the environment created by posters such as those. You sacrificed dozens and potentially hundreds of future posters for the sake of the few, who just so happen to be the worst of the lot.

It's pretty obvious that this place is not thriving. If Mutha wasn't paying for it out of his own pocket, it would have already disappeared. This was not only predictable, but it was openly and repeatedly forecast well ahead of time.

But you rejected the obvious, because you put aside practical considerations in favor of your belief that the lowest common denominator deserves protection, and you've ended up with this. So if you're not crazy about the end result, remember that you are much of the reason that it got to be this way in the first place.

As part of the whole task force thing, I spent a fair bit of time reviewing successful, busy forums of all sorts to see what they did to generate and maintain their traffic. None of them tolerated the bottom feeders that this place does -- they succeed because they have good content, and because they chase off the dreck because they will consistently scare off good customers. There's no reason to get ban happy, but the very worst feuding needs to get cut off before it turns into an endless flame festival that will just turn off most people.

Internet users have many choices, and you have to give them reasons to stay. Irrespective of your ideological bent, the bottom feeders are not good for business, and your traffic numbers should make it clear how bad for business they are.

arrogant Yankee cokehead

Postby Felix » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:20 am

This isn't a business though, is it?
Cherman humor: ha! because your father hates you, you have no one to fuck, you can't afford health care, you have nothing but this board, you pretend to have cancer, you are a racist pig, you are stupid, you are a bloody fuckface...

Stew Ingredient

Postby RoadWarrior » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:57 am

Felix wrote:This isn't a business though, is it?

I see that you guys had a poll -- 2/3rd's of you would bail out if LP resurrected TP.

(And only 40+ people voted in the poll. If you had even 100 regulars left who came here more than occasionally, I'd be surprised.)

On that thread, you said this: "This place is dying a lingering death. Everyone is sick of each other. New blood or death."

Obviously, most of you hang out here out of nostalgia, which means that there isn't much going on here that would interest someone passing through.

If you want new blood, then you need to treat it like a viable enterprise to attract new blood. In its current state, there's not much reason for newcomers to come here, for them to stick around once they do.

You don't have to turn a profit, but you need to incorporate basic business principles to build and maintain traffic. Business principles are ultimately about building organizations that can generate positive results in a competitive environment. So if you want results, you need to lay the groundwork to get them.

The whole thing is a circle jerk because you have no plan to add to your numbers. You just hope that they'll show up, but three years of running it in this manner of serving the lowest common denominator should make it obvious that they aren't just going to show up unless you have a plan to bring them in, which means changing what you have. That's just common sense.

Repeating the same mistakes incessantly in the hopes that you'll eventually end up with a different outcome is a classic definition of insanity. Praying for traffic isn't going to bring in traffic, and the status quo clearly won't do you any favors.

Either accept the place for what it is and act accordingly, or else formulate a cogent plan to build it up and do something about it. Personally, I think that you've already defined your brand around bickering and feuding, and you'll have to either deal with it or find another way to amuse yourselves Task force or not, I frankly would have left out of boredom, anyway. Atr this point, I've got people who pay me to write for them, I don't need to do it here for free.

arrogant Yankee cokehead

Postby Felix » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:05 am

Look, everyone appreciates the time you put into trying to make this place something. It didn't happen though, and ultimately it's just a message board. It doesn't matter any more or less to me than the Thorn Tree, another (more successful) board I frequent.
Cherman humor: ha! because your father hates you, you have no one to fuck, you can't afford health care, you have nothing but this board, you pretend to have cancer, you are a racist pig, you are stupid, you are a bloody fuckface...

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:36 am

Roadie, if you still care so much about the dismal failure this place is, why don't you create a new board and implement your plan? You could recruit all the regulars who come here every day even though they despise it. It's really not expensive to start a board, and the phpbb software comes free even with my own personal crap webhost.

Seriously, we're all just waiting for something better to come along, every one of the dozens who contribute posts and threads all day long, day in, day out.

I don't understand why you spend your valuable time bitching about a board you no longer frequent, rather than contribute the well thought-out political insights you used to be so famous for.

Either accept the place for what it is and act accordingly

We have. I personally don't think it's such a bad place. In the end, we have a lot of intelligent posters who want to debate current events -- as well as those who have no desire to cure all the world's ills and instead come here for a laugh or two in the middle of the day.

I think you see this is a mini United Nations. I see it as the neighborhood pub. Both are valid "business models," but they are very different.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Stew Ingredient

Postby Dallan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:43 am

RoadWarrior wrote:I see that you guys had a poll -- 2/3rd's of you would bail out if LP resurrected TP.

(And only 40+ people voted in the poll. If you had even 100 regulars left who came here more than occasionally, I'd be surprised.)

Hardly a scientific study but looking through the member list using the "most posts" search it looks like there's about 200 members who post regularly, and about 100 or so that post occasionally.

Stew Ingredient

Postby SeamusMcCool » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:05 am

Interesting, Road Warrior is a non swearing version of Moe.

[/i]
"I'd stumbled into the middle of an evil, insidious cult of chainsaw worshipping maniacs. I had to wonder if we'd let our religious freedom go too far in this country, or maybe our immigration laws were just too lax."

Stew Ingredient

Postby RoadWarrior » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:07 am

pezworld wrote:Roadie, if you still care so much about the dismal failure this place is, why don't you create a new board and implement your plan?

I honestly don't care. I came here because I received a note telling me that you had threads devoted in my honor (or lack thereof, according to the hooker chaser and the half wit car salesman), so I thought I'd check it out. And then I found your poll, which indicates that a lot of you aren't all that happy with the joint and confirms that there aren't that many of you left.

Building the site would have been a fun project at the time, and it had a lot of potential back when there were more members and a closer tie in to LP. But now you've lost your critical mass and it would be much tougher to do it today.

pezworld wrote:I don't understand why you spend your valuable time bitching about a board you no longer frequent, rather than contribute the well thought-out political insights you used to be so famous for.

To be blunt, I'd like you to confront what you've done to this place, instead of pretending that your tolerance of the bottom feeders had nothing to do with this place sinking or two-thirds of your membership voting itself off the island, if only they had another island to go to.

I like you personally, but in the context of discussing the site, consider this to be an "I told you so" sort of response. You denied at the time that this would happen, but it has played out pretty much as you were warned.

You could admit that you made a mistake, instead of pretending that this is a viable "business model" when virtually all of you (bottom feeders excepted) say that you want more traffic. It's not a matter of model UN vs. pub, but having a town square versus a ghost town. Pubs actually have customers, you know.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:16 am

Some people have left. Some people have joined. I honestly don't see the numbers you're imagining about this being a shadow of its former self.

And people can't resist coming back, as your presence demonstrates.

What's more important, the people you know/value, or the traffic you imagine? To me, this is a community, not a business.

The people who are bitching most about the people who have left seem to be the people who can't seem to stay away, huh?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Dallan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:14 am

Eric better lock this thread. Pez is getting out of hand.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:25 am

Is this the 4th annual death of the Stew post?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Dallan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:29 am

3rd one this month. Can we save these from pruning and repost them every 10 year anniversary?

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:31 am

Should just make them stickies. Or Famous Dishes.

Stew Ingredient

Postby SeamusMcCool » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:36 am

Is critical mass the cliche of the week?

This board can be more than what it is, but considering its laissez-faire model, has done fairly well.

There's plenty of serious discussion to be had. If you can't stand a thread on your favourite Beethoven symphony sitting next to a circumcision thread; so be it.
"I'd stumbled into the middle of an evil, insidious cult of chainsaw worshipping maniacs. I had to wonder if we'd let our religious freedom go too far in this country, or maybe our immigration laws were just too lax."

Stew Ingredient

Postby SeamusMcCool » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:39 am

Soda 2.0 wrote:I like RW a lot - to me one of the stand-out posters, and I have always admired his commitment to improving the Stew.

That said, to me Stew has rarely been better than it is today. The feuding is largely under control, things are running well, and there do seem to be new posters coming in from YC to add a bit of spice. I also think 90%+ of posters are very happy with all of the mods.

I say come back and enjoy it as it is, RW.

I agree that he seems like an improvement for the site if he sticks around.

The 90% + of us who are happy with the mods, are probably also tired with the whining about the board. Even though that has cut back too.

Stew Ingredient

Postby RoadWarrior » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:43 am

pezworld wrote:And people can't resist coming back, as your presence demonstrates.

Pez, come now. I'm not posting anywhere else here, and I'm not going to post anywhere else here. (I got so bored of the bickering on the thread dedicated to me that I couldn't even be bothered to finish reading that.) Again, I only came here because I got a PM and decided to see what the fuss was about, plus I'm doing some serious procrastinating for work that I'm doing today. But my curiousity is about satiated now and I'm pretty much done with it.

You're a cool person, but it blows me away that you can't just admit to your error. You should concede that you've lost a lot of good people, and that most of the good ones you do have left wish that the place was better, instead of pretending that this is an ideal situation for most of the members who wish there was more to it. You still have some good people, judging from the mostly familiar handles, but at this point, you may as well just save Mutha his money and start a Yahoo group or something that doesn't cost him anything to support.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:59 am

The board is plenty busy and I think a lot of the people here are quite happy with it. It's always funny how there is continual gloom and doom about this site after all these years. Even funnier how people talk about the "loss of good people". Hello, that happens on every bulletin board, including the one we came from.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:30 am

RoadWarrior wrote:You should concede that you've lost a lot of good people, and that most of the good ones you do have left wish that the place was better, instead of pretending that this is an ideal situation for most of the members who wish there was more to it. You still have some good people, judging from the mostly familiar handles, but at this point, you may as well just save Mutha his money and start a Yahoo group or something that doesn't cost him anything to support.

Where are you getting this? From this secret cabal of ex-posters whining about how much better PS was two years ago? Please, out them.

How can you speak for them? And who have you been polling here while you've been avoiding this site, RW?

Roadie, we HAVE a lot of good people. It irritates me that you're demeaning them all by saying that all the good ones are gone. And it's simply not true.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Epicurus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:03 am

I personally felt the task force was the wrong approach - even down to the name, task force, shudder. It was all MBA bollocks. You wanted to turn this board into just another political board, remove the rough-around-the-edge character of the place. That was pie-in-the-sky. It also felt like a coup, I don't think most of the members knew what the 'task force' were doing and most would have been against it if asked.

Even though only 40 responded to hat poll most regular contributors just ignore the navel-gazing that happens. I would say the board is way more active than ever, the feuding is lower than ever and the mods have got it just right.

If Mutha wasn't paying for it out of his own pocket, it would have already disappeared.

That is nonsense. No disrespect to Mutha, if there was another fund-raiser there would be no problem raising the money needed to run it for another few years. We probably should do this and refund the money Miutha has been paying.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:05 am

I just did a count of the top 100 posters by number of posts. We've lost 15 (counting RW as a lost poster).

Stew Ingredient

Postby Epicurus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:09 am

and how many of those 15 were quality though...

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:11 am

I think we should hold the fundraiser. And buy mutha a keg of his favorite PNW microbrew.

red fanged She-devil

Postby incognita » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:46 pm

That is incorrect Soda, I do not take "donations" in beer, I only accept Maker's Mark. *sniff*

Really, I've been checking out other political boards over the past several months, and this one really is one of the best. There's more (& worse) feuding on most of them, and the posts tend to be really inane and poorly reasoned/argued.

I like that it's a bit rough and tumble here, even though things have been a little rougher over the past week or so. But there have also been a whole lot of great discussions, even though some are heated discussions on the TP branch as well.
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:33 pm

That is nonsense. No disrespect to Mutha, if there was another fund-raiser there would be no problem raising the money needed to run it for another few years. We probably should do this and refund the money Miutha has been paying.

Completely agree. I'll get a fund raiser going soon, I didn't realize by not doing so our doom and gloom ex-posters thought no one would pony up. I agree that it's completely ridiculous.

Stew Ingredient

Postby thoughtpolice » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:59 pm

Forget it Roadie.
It goes over her head like a 747, contrails and all.

Stew Ingredient

Postby RoadWarrior » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:43 pm

thoughtpolice wrote:Forget it Roadie.
It goes over her head like a 747, contrails and all.

Point taken.

Have fun, guys.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Disco_Stu » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:52 pm

Epicurus wrote:I personally felt the task force was the wrong approach - even down to the name, task force, shudder. It was all MBA bollocks. You wanted to turn this board into just another political board, remove the rough-around-the-edge character of the place. That was pie-in-the-sky. It also felt like a coup, I don't think most of the members knew what the 'task force' were doing and most would have been against it if asked.

That pretty much sums it up. No one wants this place to shrink to nothing, but if we get rid of whatever makes the place unique enough to keep people interested, and instead gentrify it into a bland 'nice' talk politics site simply to grow the membership, then what's the difference?
There are already plenty of lame, generic 'talk politics in a polite tone' fora out there (I presume).

It seems pretty clear from RW's comments about the 'good' people leaving and the bad people staying, that this is personal.

Postby eric84 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:07 pm

Always like Roadwarrior and appreciated that he actually would volunteer to work on how to make this board better/more popular but I have to say for all the rhetoric around how to make this a better board, I never actually got any concrete examples of what a more interesting board would look like.

The ones I see are overly slow with even fewer posters than we have here or the type that are ideologically driven and heavily moderated (like rabble.ca or protestwarrior.com), neither of which would likely interest people around here.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scott_Baio » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:26 pm

After all these years you can still reel 'em in Scooter.
Haters wanna hate.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scott_Baio » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:24 am

Fuck.....that's some heavy dope right there.

That just reeks of pent up aggression, hurt feelings, and a single white guy with to much time on his hands.

It's not like people move on from message boards and the ebb and flow of said message changes over time. No, no, no....Scotty Baio is the sole reason that the Stew in currently free falling into Bolivia.

ONLY THE BAD POSTERS REMAIN!

You managed to insult just about every decent person on this board with your half-assed remarks and clueless observations.

I have never seen this many posters and the forum function as smoothly as it is now.

You're wrong....again. Bitch.

You might be a decent political debater but you definitely are a prima donna. And your feelings were hurt when you realized the rest of the forum just wanted a place to hang out and thought your business plans and task force would turn this place into Snoresville, USA.

And like eric mentioned above.....did you really have any concrete plans or ideas in how to make this forum more popular? Cause I never read them.

Twat.
Haters wanna hate.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Dallan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:28 am

Well that's just great Roadwarrior, now you've got Scotty upset. And you know what he was like when he was in a good mood.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scott_Baio » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:30 am

You're just one of the lowest common denominators who has stayed while the rest of the "good posters" have moved on.

If you want upset just look at our resident boyscout and the 6 replies that I managed to belch out of him. I actually got the Ol Bean to come back to Political Stew and vent the feelings that he has obviously been holding in for a long time.

Belch.
Haters wanna hate.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Dallan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:34 am

Scott_Baio wrote:You're just one of the lowest common denominators who has stayed while the rest of the "good posters" have moved on.

Better to be inside the igloo complaining about the weather outside, than outside complaining about the temperature inside. -A Canuck saying I just invented.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scott_Baio » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:38 am

The question is: What would you guys be doing without me?

I actually got this guy to come back to a web-site he swore off and got him to release the pent up anger he's been holding in for the last couple of years.

You KNOW he was dying to type that shit.....just dying to let us have it and tell us all how we were big poopy heads for staying here after he left.
Haters wanna hate.

Next

Return to Famous Dishes