Alan Bodine

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

red fanged She-devil

Alan Bodine

Postby incognita » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:14 pm

I got this e-mail just a few minutes ago:

Al passed away today at about 1:30 pm.
Efforts to revive him were unsuccessful. Vera, his mom, missed him by 15 minutes, but was able to see him.

She is in the process of making final arrangements, but has mentioned that she would like the viewing to be on Sunday afternoon for those folks who want to say goodbye (and who work), with the funeral on Monday.

She will phone me tomorrow with the actual plans but I thought I would let you know today so you can prepare or make plans as you wish. I will email again tomorrow with those plans as I don't have email at home.

I think we can all take solace in the fact that Al is now at peace and not in pain any longer.

Al's mom's address is: Mrs. Vera Bodine, 1325 West Wilson, Apt. 412, Chicago, 60640 if you care to send a card.

I'm working on Sunday, so I'll be going to the funeral on Monday
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

Stew Ingredient

Postby aviad » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:17 pm

May he rest in peace. My condolences to all his friends and family.
Londres n'est plus que le faubourg de Bruges, perdu en mer

So I told him, 'It's all over between us, over. O-V-A-H, Over!'

stewbie

Postby zara » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:29 pm

my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

and thank you to incognita, jb, cow and anyone who visited al and passed on our wishes.

i ask that for the rest of the day, we all put aside our differences with others and try not get into provocations ... may al rest in peace.
Last edited by zara on Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

red fanged She-devil

Postby incognita » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:45 pm

And I want to thank everyone who donated money for him last year. He and his mom were so very happy when I gave it to them, I think it really was a help to them.
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

Iron Orchid

Postby Billet » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:14 am

Rest in peace, Al.

You will be missed!!!
'You haven't lived until you have married, raised a son, and dug a well. I've done all three.'
--Sarah Nettle, a 94 year-old Texan

GMT -6:00

Iron Orchid

Postby Billet » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:16 am

If people would like to donate to a fund to send flowers to the funeral, from PoliStew, I'll take credit card donations, again.

PM me for details of how to send me your credit card information.

incog:

Do you have the funeral home info, for where to send flowers?
Last edited by Billet on Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
'You haven't lived until you have married, raised a son, and dug a well. I've done all three.'

red fanged She-devil

Postby incognita » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:20 am

Not yet, and I have been unable to reach his mom. I'll post it here as soon as I know.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:53 am

RIP Albodine, a good man.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Stew Ingredient

Postby Morwen » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:15 am

Not surprised but very sad.
If I can add my two cents flowers are useless.I would much rather donate to a fund to help Al's mom defray the costs of the funeral,to help his Mom out financially in general, or to a hospital fund so others don't have to go thru what Al di

nowbie

Postby shmishmina » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:15 am

Aw, jeez.

Well, I'm just glad he's not in misery any more. Thought about him often, and will continue to do so.

Thanks to all the Chicago guys for keeping up with him. Special thanks to Incognita.

Stew Ingredient

Postby q5q » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:02 am

very sad to hear al's gone.

r.i.p., buddy; hoped that big odometer backroller in the sky was going to click a few more years into you.
bodhisattva of sweetness, lite, and moist since 2001; dave_of_daves, whisperer_of_catsups

Vince wrote:
I'm never angry except with q5q who is a despicable abortion.

d&c
arbour zena: keith jarrett, charlie haden, jan gabarek, stuttgart rad orc

Goat Roper

Postby Hatsephsut » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:30 am

Think it's a Johnny Cash/Roy Orbison kind of night

Stew Ingredient

Postby BurmaDuck » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:10 am

I never knew him, nor, for some bizarre reason, did I ever pm him, I guess our paths, alas, never crossed on LP nor on here. Nevertheless, condolences to those who have lost a friend.
Part of me is acting while the other stands beside ...

Cold Cat Korma

Postby SubZeroCat » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:48 am

Sad sad news indeed. I hope he is in a better place now :(

RIP Albo
Ian_in_DC and his Ego: "Holy crap, I am flabbergasted: Termite splled the word "incomprehensible" accurately. LOL to that uninntentional bit of irony.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Nemesis » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:38 am

Nita,
Thanks for keeping everyone updated. You've been a good friend, and your actions over the past few months with Al and his Mother prove your selflessness. The highest compliment that I can give is that you've been a good friend.

I'm going to send Mrs. Bodine a card. I'm also going to include some money, as no doubt, she could use it at this time.

Incorrigible Testiclast

Postby crzypt » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:50 am

Gone but not Forgotten

Rest in Peace
I yam what I yam....except when I'm a sweet potato

Stew Ingredient

Postby Tomska » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:38 am

Slainte, Al. :(
Ya mama got a glass eye with a fish in it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Polardude » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:08 pm

May he rest in peace. Very sad news.
Mali
"Aint that sweet. 3 kosher klown on one thread. Pity its not in a coffee bar in tel aviv. It would make an interesting target."

Stew Ingredient

Postby wordofmouth » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:24 pm

It's terrible news.

I didn't have a lot of contact with him here, but always enjoyed it when I did. I was always confident he'd make it back here in the end.

Sad times.
Recipient of as many as votes as Margin of Error in the mod elections of 2006. Well...almost.

Stew Ingredient

Postby foolsprogress » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:54 pm

Rest in peace, Al. God Bless.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:07 pm

Terrible news... Rest in peace Al. I add my thanks to all the Chicago folks who kept up with Al and kept us informed.
Angry Korky expressing his hope for 'Justice' wrote:maybe Borden gets thrown in the slammer and buttfucked by a big black dude.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Northof49 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:09 pm

RIP Al! My deepest condolences to his Mom ( was that his only family?) I still recall his witty insightful posts- he will be missed! Also, cudos to incognita and all the Chicago crew who took the time to visit him and everything else. I'm about to PM Billet for that credit card info.

special sauce

Postby justinian » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:09 pm

al was a true gem of a man. no matter what sort of shit hand the universe dealt him, he was always there to comfort me with his wisdom and wit. mexico, bandas, (good) old country music. where ever you are, pal, i hope that you've found your chica and a steady bottle of tequilla.

Oh, yeah, and I blame Reagan for all of this.

la paz, amigo.
The HOFF, people! Knight Fuckin' RIDER right in the reclining chair section!! -- nettie

Stew Ingredient

Postby davidh » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:20 pm

So sorry to hear this.

Rest in peace.

Blue Eyed Devil

Postby blueeyes_austin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:34 pm

May God watch you on your journey and confort your family, Al.
"We shall cause a distortionary response in US fiscal policy! God is great! God is great!"--Electrolyte channeling the 9/11 hijackers

Stew Ingredient

Postby cowtown » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:45 pm

mutha is fixing
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Stew Ingredient

Postby Bluedoglover » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:22 pm

I'm very sorry to hear Al has lost his battle! Rest in Peace, Al!
You are what you is-Frank Zappa

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping him up-Jesse Jackson

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:55 pm

I must admit before his illness I did get him confused with aviad and aero and sundry other "a" posters - more because of my own insularity than his anonymity. His sickness brought a stark image (I don't know how accurate) of the average Joe with more than average smarts fucked by circumstance.

I know we avoid such discussions here, but given the situation I think an exception can be made: does anyone know anything about the real biographical person Al Bodine?

I wish his mom strength.

Iron Orchid

Postby Billet » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:04 pm

Morwen wrote:I would much rather donate to a fund to help Al's mom defray the costs of the funeral,to help his Mom out financially in general, or to a hospital fund so others don't have to go thru what Al di

Valid point, Judi.

I'll give people the option for where they want their funds to go. If they prefer the money go directly to Al's Mom, I can send her a check for the money, in lieu of putting it towards flowers for the funeral.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Polardude » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:19 pm

Might I also suggest that dinations be made tothe American cancer Society in Al's name.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp
Mali
"Aint that sweet. 3 kosher klown on one thread. Pity its not in a coffee bar in tel aviv. It would make an interesting target."

Iron Orchid

Postby Billet » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:21 pm

Excellent suggestion, as well, polar. Thanks.

Goat Roper

Postby Hatsephsut » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:23 pm

I know we avoid such discussions here, but given the situation I think an exception can be made: does anyone know anything about the real biographical person Al Bodine?

Al and I were of an age give or take a few - we used to talk, and he did come to the rock and roll bowling pissup we had - I will say that I started going through my own crap about the same time he started spending more time in the hospital than not and we lost touch - no excuse for me, but perfectly understandable for him

Stew Ingredient

Postby Mega_Doof » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:27 pm

Al was a smart guy who knew the score and took on some of the more insanely loudmouthed stupid dumbass posters around here with great relish and tended to demolish them.

I loved him for that.

I hope he enjoyed the photos and postcards of The Center of the Universe I sent him back when he was just sick and not "terminal." I knew it wasn't much, but it was all I could really do for the guy.

He was a good guy. He'll be missed.
Fuck you, you damn hippie mod!

Stew Ingredient

Postby thoughtpolice » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:42 pm

My condolences to Als family.
He has been and will be missed here.

Pain in the ass

Postby Lulu » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:09 pm

Al Bodine - gentle and knowledgeable, wrote what he knew about, and he knew a lot. Frequently elicited, "Wow - wish I had written that" thoughts from me.

What a terrible loss to his family and friends - and a loss to all of us here. He was somebody real in a cyber world.

I miss you Al.

Stew Ingredient

Postby cowtown » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:11 pm

I know a fair bit, might be lacking some details. Not sure what you are looking for - I may still have a copy of his resume, was trying to help him find work before he got sick.

Over all, nice guy, very Chicago - Briefly and somewhat common knowledge: he worked in accounting for several years in account receivable and payables. He did not have a CPA but had worked his way into that position over the years. Several years ago he bailed and went to college to learn Spanish and become a teacher, that did not work too well for him as he was still looking for work (more in accounting) when he got ill. No siblings that I was aware of, survived by his mother and cat. Well read, bit of an American history /political buff. Traditional, pro-worker Midwest liberal with a centrist bent. He was the champion of the little guy with a sly sense of humor and a cutting wit. Very well read, great retention and superb grammar.

I could not find an obit in the Sun Times and the Trib. site is acting up again and won't let me search - that site has been fussy as of late, I'll try again later
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Stew Ingredient
Location: Bay Area -- SF, CA (Don't even think of calling it 'Frisco.')

Postby Wilster » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:14 pm

Sorry to read/hear of Al's passing. I didn't "know" Al, but I do remember I enjoyed his posts; always seemed like a straight up poster. I'm not religious, but this was read at my brother's remembrance last year which I always liked (I will think of Al in this instance):

God's Garden

God looked around his garden
and found an empty place
He then looked down upon the earth
And saw your tired face

He put his arms around you
And lifted you to rest
God's garden must be beautiful
He always takes the best.

He knew the roads were getting rough
And the hills were hard to climb
So he closed your weary eyelids and
Whispered "Peace Be Thine"

It broke our hearts to lose you
But you did not go alone
For part of us went with you
The day God called you home.

stewbie

Postby zara » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:15 pm

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:19 pm

Angry Korky expressing his hope for 'Justice' wrote:maybe Borden gets thrown in the slammer and buttfucked by a big black dude.

arrogant Yankee cokehead

Postby Felix » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:27 pm

Damn. Against my common sense, I was trying to know this wouldn't happen.

Happy trails, Al. Send us a postcard what it's like.
Cherman humor: ha! because your father hates you, you have no one to fuck, you can't afford health care, you have nothing but this board, you pretend to have cancer, you are a racist pig, you are stupid, you are a bloody fuckface...

Iron Orchid

Postby Billet » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:44 pm

I am going down to my lake house for the w/e, to hang sheetrock.

Anyone else that would like to contribute towards the flowers and/or to Vera and the funeral expenses, please PM me, but it will be Monday, before I can answer your PMs, and give you the instructions for how to safely send your credit card information to me.

I have taken care of ordering the flowers, we are sending a standing easel, that will be both at the viewing, and then moved to the graveside.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Jelly_Belly » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:55 pm

Too bad we didn't see him before his passing. Was up in Toronto as my Uncle died.

Good wishes Al, and see you on the other side.
One famous poster once said...." I look around the house to see what she doesn't have and then I get her it."

Another famous poster uttered: "I have known non-whites who thought of themselves as expats."

Stew Ingredient

Postby mishmish » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:19 pm

damned. RIP Albo.

Stew Ingredient

Postby auntie_social » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:29 pm

I shall miss Al, he was a true gentleman.

This morning, when I heard of Al's death, it was on YC, and there was kindly posted a photo of Al. It was the first time I had ever really seen a photo of him even though we had corresponded for many years.

I wonder if the mods, the originators of this board would consider a In Memoriam thread, one where all that is posted is a photo.

No need for anything more than that, is that just stupid on my part?

Stew Ingredient

Postby auntie_social » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:30 pm

Thanks Billet

stewbie

Postby zara » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:31 pm

auntie, not at all stupid and in fact a memorial thread will be created for al to coincide with his funeral on monday.

Goat Roper

Postby Hatsephsut » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:34 pm

Was up in Toronto as my Uncle died.

Sorry, Jelly - that's a double whammy for you, and double condolences

Al was very fortunate to have friends like you, Cow, and Nita, being there so much for him

would you and Cow drop me a line when you know what your plans are about visitation/funeral? - I'd like to come in Sunday for the visitation

Stew Ingredient

Postby tph24601 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:37 pm

this is indeed very sad news

Next

Return to Famous Dishes