RIP foolsprogress

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

Re: RIP foolsprogress

Postby Moethebartender » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:47 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss Debra and my condolences to all of the rest of his family and friends.

I am just stunned. It's so unexpected; I didn't want to believe my eyes when I saw the title of this thread. It was like a physical blow. I regret more than ever that I missed the chance to meet him when I was in Cambodia last. As others have noted, he was a good writer and a better person. Words fail me, but he will be very sorely missed. RIP Ken.
Lincoln pathetically wrote:I'm just not sure i want to go away without having the guarentee <sic> i can get high...

Stew Ingredient

Postby cowtown » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:55 pm

My deepest condolences
I have a lot of respect for Fools and will miss his company; we’ve been doing this together for 15 years. A toast to a life well lived
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:00 pm

It's Deb again. I want to thank you all so much for your very kind words, and for your love of fool's voice, his style, his humor, his intelligence, his ability to parse an issue right down to the essential dust.

What a man, right? I met him at University of Oregon in 1989. He had a ponytail, glossy hair, very bright blue eyes, a short goatee and a mustache, and he was the most charming guy I had ever met. Brilliant, and a little dangerous...he had travelled extensively in India and all around the world, after leaving a very high-paying job at Detroit-Edison in the early 80's. At that company, he rose from a basic tech job to being a well-paid middle manager, owing to his brilliance with all things technical.

We got married in 1993, and left the country that same year, driving the Baja Peninsula first, then getting on a flight in Los Angeles to Bangkok with backpacks and a pocketful of wedding present cash. He never returned to live in the USA.

We settled in P Penh, and after many winding roads which I will not elaborate (as it's boring and just normal life stuff), I left to return to the USA. We divorced in 2001, and he and his lady had their first child in May of 2002--a wonderful girl who I love very much. Then, he and his lady had a wonderful son a few years later.

His expertise on all things Cambodia is unparalleled, and his contribution to the expatriate community there is undeniable. As a publisher, he has not only employed a large office of workers, who have amazing experience and knowledge, he has released new publications every few months.

His services in P Penh Cambodia are currently being arranged, and I will post dates and times if anyone can make it. It will be a bit crazy for me, as I'm flying from W Coast USA to P Penh, but I will be routinely checking back.

I'm so glad you were such a huge part of his life--and how ironic that just a week ago, he made sure to mention this forum to me. He said his favorite place to post and write was Thorntree (which this is an extension of) and someone from there pointed me in your direction.

You do know where the name fools progress comes from, I am assuming? do you know?

Love to all...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Steve_in_Exile » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:02 pm

Does anyone know how old his kids were?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Doug_AKA_Dallan » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:24 pm

This is a real shame. I met him a couple of times in Phnom Penh with a few other other Stewies including Jono, Fritz, Aero and Northern_Light The first time was at the iconic Foreign Correspondent's Club overlooking the Tonle Sap river.

He was an interesting guy with a wealth of information and history on Cambodia. I know that he loved living there and was very proud of and spoke highly of his wife and children.

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:32 pm

What a tragic and awful thing to happen. Thank you Debra, for letting us know, and for telling us more about the man that most of us never actually met.

I read his post on the thread about death last week, and thought how beautifully and perceptively he'd written. I'm so sorry that what he'd cared about most, the thought of leaving his wife and children too early, is exactly what happened. I'm thinking of them, and of you.
Pass the wine...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Ped_Yai » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:36 pm

Sad news. I had an idea that some day when the Ped Nois were a little older we might make a side trip from Bangkok to Phnom Penh and look him up.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:38 pm

CaminoDeb wrote:You do know where the name fools progress comes from, I am assuming? do you know?

I'm fairly certain I do.

Stew Ingredient

Postby -americanjoe- » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:53 pm

I am saddened to learn of his death.
"Back off man. I'm a scientist."

Stew Ingredient

Postby muthafunky » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:56 pm

Deb, I'm so sorry for your loss. As you can see he is as well liked and respected here. Thank you for taking the time to tell us and especially to tell us more about him. Truly a unique and interesting guy.

Stew Ingredient

Postby kotagiri_tea_planter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:11 pm

Wow such awful news. I'm sorry for your loss, Debra, my condolences to you and the rest of fools' family and friends. Thank you for taking the time to inform the community.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:13 pm

You do know where the name fools progress comes from, I am assuming? do you know?

I don't remember if he ever made mention of it here or not, but it was from the title of the Edward Abbey book. I ended up reading it as a result.
Lincoln pathetically wrote:I'm just not sure i want to go away without having the guarentee <sic> i can get high...

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:15 pm

wow, i can't believe this. he seemed like such a solid, living fixture here. thanks for the news, shocking as it is
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby snowgirl » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:17 pm

Moethebartender wrote:

I don't remember if he ever made mention of it here or not, but it was from the title of the Edward Abbey book. I ended up reading it as a result.

I thought he mentioned it in a thread about how we got our handles recently.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Stew Ingredient

Postby EMG » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:17 pm

Moethebartender wrote:

He did mention it somewhat recently, there was one of those "where did your username come from?" threads and I remember finding his explanation interesting.

I may have to look for that book.

Former showgirl

Postby lolasf » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:18 pm

What terribly sad news. My condolences to the family and friends he left behind. He'll certainly be missed in this corner of the internet, by people all over the world.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:18 pm

I can't thank you all enough.

Because fools was such a private person, I am going to ask that at this point we no longer use his name. If possible, we could remove links to articles about him with his name.

I know, I know...paranoia. But he was intensely private, and very protective of his children. BTW, his brothers and wife and I will be gently, tenderly, lovingly taking care of things. They will be well provided for, rest assured, friends of fp.

Godspeed, let's get his name off this thread. Thanks, and I will keep you posted on all details, albeit with subtlety. Mods, can you help an old ex of fp who knows his heart?

LOVE is all we have left. And by God, we will exercise it to its full potential.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:24 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Moethebartender wrote:

I thought he mentioned it in a thread about how we got our handles recently.

I must have missed that thread; it's been a few years since I first came across that book. I'll have to have a look for it...

Stew Ingredient

Postby coffeeguy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:51 pm

A real quality person and I also anticipated reading his threads with interest. I was glad to see him return to PS just a little while back, hate that it was for just such a short time. Take care and condolences to his family.

Stew Ingredient

Postby truenic » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:26 pm

Very thougtful of you to come here & register just to let us know about this, Debra. Especially at a time like this.

I'm very sorry for you and your family's loss.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lime_Pickle » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:39 pm

What awful news. As others have said he was often very reasonable and calm in the teeth of much looniness. My condolences to his family and friends, in real life and on here.
Wibble.

Stew Ingredient

Postby mad hatter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:45 pm

i just realised that we had used his cambodia guide web site canby publuctions when we visited few years ago
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:47 pm

How macabre, considering his final post may have been in that thread, yet he showed no fear of it.

He came across as one of the good ones.

My condolences.

special sauce

Postby justinian » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:55 pm

One of our unique voices.

Peace to you Deb, and family and friends, as you move through your grief.
The HOFF, people! Knight Fuckin' RIDER right in the reclining chair section!! -- nettie

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:34 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:How macabre, considering his final post may have been in that thread, yet he showed no fear of it..

He posted a few more times, including just about 90 minutes before the accident. I wonder if he was posting from the boat. :-(

Hamburglar

Postby salmonid » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:39 pm

Terrible news. I always enjoyed his posts and perspective. His namesake remains one of my favorite novels and it sounds like he may have lived a life similar to the protagonist, which is an interesting life, indeed.

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:55 pm

Sad. He was one of the reasons I started posting back in 2003. I was looking for SEA travel advice. I've been a fan ever since. He was incredibly informed and an awesome writer, and somebody who had a full and meaningful life. My thoughts are with those he left behind.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Stew Ingredient

Postby 5waldos » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:30 pm

So very sorry for all of you- he will be missed here. Such a shock to read- so tragic.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Kape » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:32 pm

My condolences.

vegemite flavored maple syrup

Postby guruwil » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Holy Shit. I missed this till now. I'm so Sorry Deb for you and his family.

It is a real punch in the guts to read his post about death, because like him the only thing I fear about death is leaving my family alone, and knowing he feared that and knowing he has, makes it quite personal.

I'm happy to hear that you are making sure they are looked after, because we know that is what he cared about.
An it harm none, do what ye will

A duly ordained Minister of the Unversal Life Church call me Reverend.

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.

judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!!!!!!!!

jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:56 pm

I've only just seen this now. My condolences to his family and friends. I was happy that he had started posting here again recently, particularly in the Political branches. We often have very intrenched and nasty posters on those branches and it has been a pleasant addition to have fools back posting in his reasonable and thoughtful style, even if we didn't agree about everything.

Rest in Peace.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Postby Electrolyte » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:13 pm

Very sorry to learn this tragic news. When I tell people about this board and what makes it interesting I say that it is a unique place where one can discuss politics and travel with people from all over the world with all kinds of viewpoints and I have always given him--a guy in Cambodia who has worked on ensuring fair elections--as the first example.

Condolences, Debra, and also thanks for posting. There are other posters who periodically disappear and I now wonder about them.

Stew Ingredient

Postby mishmish » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:14 pm

I never heard where fool's name actually came from but guessing inspired me to put Abbey's book in the queue for reading a while ago, and btw, to look at Abbey's bio. Can't quite put my finger on why, but something in Deb's description of fool's life make me feel like those two were made of the same clay, so to speak. As though their lives may have crossed at some point.

fool's had a very unique and resonating 'voice' on this board and thorntree, and in real life I'm sure. his loss leaves a gaping hole.

Stew Ingredient

Postby madmonday » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:19 pm

Condolences to his family and to Deb for posting on here.
Supporter and former member of door kickers Australia

Stew Ingredient

Postby cummy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:20 pm

RIP foolsprogress. peace.

Stew Ingredient

Postby temporaryhandle2 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:04 pm

I am so very sorry. Fools was special.

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:06 pm

mishmish wrote:I never heard where fool's name actually came from but guessing inspired me to put Abbey's book in the queue for reading a while ago, and btw, to look at Abbey's bio. Can't quite put my finger on why, but something in Deb's description of fool's life make me feel like those two were made of the same clay, so to speak. As though their lives may have crossed at some point.

fool's had a very unique and resonating 'voice' on this board and thorntree, and in real life I'm sure. his loss leaves a gaping hole.

This spoke to me, and I must respond to it.

FP and I travelled extensively in the southwestern states--and Utah and Arizona were a few of the places that figured prominently in Abbey's writing. Another title that FP liked was Down the River? if I am remembering that correctly. In it, Abbey was an older man and wrote a series of good essays about nature and the southwestern states. I recommend it.

Yes, FP and Abbey would have been made of the same clay. Nothing made FP happier--as a younger man--than gearing up for a long hike way out in nature, and staying out for several days at a time. I remember hiking the Three Sisters Wilderness area in Oregon with him, and we were in an area with much obsidian. He had been really excited because he had found an area in which Native Americans had apparently created arrowheads, and there were arrowheads and shards scattered about. Later, as we were hiking, I got busy picking m and m's out of my trail mix, and I took a very bad fall, lunging forward and cutting the heck out of the palm of one hand--on a piece of obsidian!--and spraining my ankle badly. After helping me do a field dressing on my hand (wrapping a handkerchief around it), he very sternly told me not to take off my boot---as it would swell like a mother (pardon my french, would love to use slang but don't want to sound spammy? lol) and I'd never be able to hike out.

I hiked out at a good 4 mph clip, down the mountain, down to the parking lot where our truck was--a red 4-wheel-drive thing with big tires (I had bought it, as I transported disabled people around in it). Within four hours or so, we were home and happy to be there, after first stopping off for pie--he loved a pie shop en route.

When we got married in 1993, we drove to the Mt. St. Helens wilderness area in the state of Washington, and summited Mt. St. Helens. On the first ascent attempt, white-out conditions occurred, and after about four hours, we descended for a try the next day. The next day, crisp and clear with blue skies, afforded us beautiful views and we descended easily with no issues. Mt. St. Helens--of course--is the mountain that blew its top in May of 1980 (on that day, I was summiting Mt. Hood, another mountain in the Mount Hood range).

He was an outdoorsman of the highest degree, skilled in survival and the outdoors. He was very much like Edward Abbey,

Now....have any of you by any chance read Hunter S. Thompsen?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moniker_X » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:07 pm

I'm really sorry, Debra. My condolences to you and the rest of foolsprogress's family and friends.

Stew Ingredient

Postby fishface » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:45 pm

I am so sorry to hear of his death and thank you for taking the time to let the crazies on this corner of the internet world know. Take care and know that many people are thinking of him, and the family and friends he left behind.

Stew Ingredient

Postby EMG » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:14 pm

CaminoDeb wrote:
Now....have any of you by any chance read Hunter S. Thompsen?

I read Fear and Loathing as a teenager, and I'm probably the least well read poster on this board, I assume most of the others have read at least some of his work.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Andrea1 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:34 pm

So sorry. My condolences to you Deb and his family.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:48 pm

I am just shocked and deeply saddened by this news. I met Foolsprogress several years ago when I visited Cambodia. I had a lot of communication with him prior and he helped me plan my trip. Of course, he gave me one of his guidebooks too. I enjoyed our conversations prior to meeting, and, of course, when we met. I even read The Fool's Progress in anticipation of meeting him. Debra, he spoke fondly of you and I know that you two remained friends. There's comfort in knowing he led a good life.

My condolences to his family, friends, and all that loved him. He will be greatly missed.

I'm really upset about this.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Usher73 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:52 pm

Sorry and sad for his family and friends.

I've read some of Hunter Thompson's books, but don't know enough about FP to see a connection.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lady_J » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 am

Such sad news. A loss to the PS community and especially to his loved ones in real life. RIP.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Higgs Bossom » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:51 am

I am saddened to hear this. Condolences.

Stew Ingredient

Postby madmonday » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:52 am

I was just reading about his life in SEA, fascinating story.
Supporter and former member of door kickers Australia

Stew Ingredient

Postby 2wilzgood » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:54 am

It isn't death, it's the timing.

I'm so sorry this happened now to his loved ones.

My condolences.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Ernest Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

Regular Guy

Postby Nines » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:18 am

Sad news. Rest in peace, foolsprogress.

Stew Ingredient

Postby micvan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:16 am

How fragile life is. So sorry to hear this.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:01 am

WHen I first came to the Stew, foolsprogress was one of the posters I remembered from back on the Thorn Tree Politics board. He was always thoughtful and insightful. I'd particularly been enjoying his reasoned discussion during this US election season. I am so, so sorry for your loss, Debra, and for his other loved ones. It is clear that he lived a very, very worthwhile life.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

PreviousNext

Return to Famous Dishes