RIP foolsprogress

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient
Location: Bay Area -- SF, CA (Don't even think of calling it 'Frisco.')

Re: RIP foolsprogress

Postby Wilster » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:21 pm

I have no problem with Deb's wishes and respect her decision whole-heartedly; doesn't mean I can't offer my two-cents as an opinion.
My moniker is Wilster. How is my posting?

Call 1-800-EAT-SHIT

Stew Ingredient

Postby ToyTone » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:43 pm

I am really sorry to hear this awful news. foolsprogress seemed a man to whom facts did matter. His replies to my most crankiest posts had a sober and "down to earth" feel that I like a lot. He was surely not like me.
I wish his family all the best!
better a bizarre humor than always angry

Stew Ingredient

Postby Marshall » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:15 pm

Condolences to family, especially his kids, and those close to him. He was one of those you have contact with in life that I wish I it would have ended up I could have known better and been friend instead of just someone I looked forward to reading when I dropped in here.

My contact with fp really was mostly way back on LP SEA and TTTP years ago. I never really made the jump here on any regular basis but one of the reason, not the only one, I would have and likely should have, was fp. It seems the past couple times I've dropped in here there's been tragic news, time before last was when the news of Soda's passing. I just avoided talking politics leading up to the election but I actually thought a couple times to searching out fb's opinion. that solid view from a a great distance was worth a thousand myopic views from a hundred feet.

fp was always worth reading. we missed connecting years ago, a decade maybe, in BKK. I think it might have been one of the last times I was over there and met up with Btraven/beatraven and argon. A couple years before that I made a post project trip to Siem Reap, I'd wanted to look fp in PP but I had to curtail those plans and it never happened. Then things happened stateside that I didn't make it back over to Asia at all.

The odd thing is just this weekend I in away mentioned him in a conversation. A friends nephew just moved back from China with his new wife, in the months before they came back they traveled through SEA. We were talking about how the area changed. I related what fp said PP were the changes in between when he was first there and a decade later when we corresponded. I think he sent me pics of where he lived and how it had changed.

Its amazing how much it impact hearing this news can have about someone you've known only electronically, even it has been over the period of a decade and half of typing in the ether and really not much in a decade. Life is short its best to make it interesting. fp was solid. I hadn't read is blog in years, did he keep with it? After seeing this a looked for the news in the Cambodia Daily. He left a left a wide path in the best of ways, in both it would seem with his wide and deep connects online and it seems in the real world.

My heart felt sympathies for his wife and children. For us, those that 'knew' him from his words as a grounding presence its a loss. For his kids....

Stew Ingredient

Postby strife » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:21 pm

Really, really sad. FP was wise and no-nonsense. I don't think he approved of my shtick here, but I had the utmost respect for the man - as much as possible for someone I only knew from the internet. He seemed to have a life rich in experience, but never flaunted it. This is a huge loss for our little community, and my heart goes out to his loved ones.
I don't want no Commies in my car. No Christians, either.

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:10 am

Any chance we can name the Talk Politics branch after him?
Citizen Baba: Have you not learned yet that pretend rescuing women doesn't get you laid anymore than being a pretend Brooklyn hipster does?"

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinceFoster » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:04 am

Citizen Baba wrote:Any chance we can name the Talk Politics branch after him?

well intentioned, but that section is such a cess pit and set to get worse in FP's absence.

topics like travel advice and favorite books seem to prompt more thoughtful and worthwhile posts....
I'm so excited you decided
to come over and beg.

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:42 am

VinnyD wrote:I don't know about foolsp, but I would not like to think that my real-life people were going to be reading the shit I have posted here after I die. Or before.

I don't know you and haven't read you, but FP did not write "shit," which is one of the reasons so many people are so distraught. I have been reading his blogs and posts for years, but the last four or five I've been very distracted with dying parents. He was so supportive during those hard years, and honestly, I was not reading him online. I just didn't have time.

Just less than two weeks ago, he told me about this forum; he said it was the old Thorn Tree group. I knew--I KNEW--you would all want to know what had happened, as when he found friends, he got close with them.

Here are his service details:

"Fool's Progress's cremation will take place on the 19th of December at 2pm. It will be at Wat Sansamkosal on Street 271 (outer south ring road) directly south of the Russian market.

ALL ARE WELCOME.

This will be followed by drinks at The Pub on street 174 with a video presentation of photos.

Stew Ingredient

Postby andybox » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:56 am

Deb I sincerely doubt Vinny was insinuating Fools Progress wrote "shit", but I can see how you viewed it as such. Thank you for posting the funeral arrangements, I do hope you can represent us all as his mates from afar.

Stew Ingredient

Postby simon_in_exile » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:41 am

VinceFoster wrote:
Citizen Baba wrote:Any chance we can name the Talk Politics branch after him?

well intentioned, but that section is such a cess pit and set to get worse in FP's absence.

topics like travel advice and favorite books seem to prompt more thoughtful and worthwhile posts....

Travel journalism branch would be apt, I think (not really my place to say, but whatever).
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinceFoster » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:02 pm

nice idea, Simon.
I'm so excited you decided
to come over and beg.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Wilster » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:26 pm

andybox wrote:Deb I sincerely doubt Vinny was insinuating Fools Progress wrote "shit", but I can see how you viewed it as such. Thank you for posting the funeral arrangements, I do hope you can represent us all as his mates from afar.

I agree, I read that remark from Vinny as being self deprecating and/or just simply, I got my stuff all over; "I have someone coming to my office and I have shit all over my desk," "We have people coming over to the house and there's shit all over the living room...," etc.

Safe travels Deb, hope you can give us an update if you're up to it of how things went. I'm sure there will be a lot of sadness and tears, but hopefully some laughs and reminiscing. I'm sure Andy will be at the memorial; if you see him or meet him, please give him a "hey" from me (Will). He may not remember me.

Call 1-800-EAT-SHIT

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:43 pm

VinceFoster wrote:nice idea, Simon.

X2

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:52 pm

I'm not sure about naming any more branches to memorialise people. It could end up with the place feeling a bit morbid. And though I didn't know fools well, would it really have been something he'd want? He didn't seem like that sort of a guy.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:18 pm

We're keeping Nerdville for you Leela.

Not for many years, i hope.

When we will all have morphed into replicants.

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:02 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:We're keeping Nerdville for you Leela.

Not for many years, i hope.

When we will all have morphed into replicants.

Made me laugh out loud. Thanks.

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:37 am

Wilster wrote:
andybox wrote:Deb I sincerely doubt Vinny was insinuating Fools Progress wrote "shit", but I can see how you viewed it as such. Thank you for posting the funeral arrangements, I do hope you can represent us all as his mates from afar.

I agree, I read that remark from Vinny as being self deprecating and/or just simply, I got my stuff all over; "I have someone coming to my office and I have shit all over my desk," "We have people coming over to the house and there's shit all over the living room...," etc.

Safe travels Deb, hope you can give us an update if you're up to it of how things went. I'm sure there will be a lot of sadness and tears, but hopefully some laughs and reminiscing. I'm sure Andy will be at the memorial; if you see him or meet him, please give him a "hey" from me (Will). He may not remember me.

Thanks very much. Yes....I'm sorry to sound so abrupt. It's just been days and days without sleep, organizing for my family's Xmas, receiving the wonderful gifts FP's brothers posted from Amazon, I am starting--starting--to pack, just all a lot going on.

I realized that Vinny may not have known that FP told "me" about this group, and in fact, told me most of what was going on entirely with his life when we talked---family stuff, US family stuff, work stuff, Kid stuff, what was bringing him joy. We were very close. If we had not been, you may have never known where he went.

I didn't mean to make Vinny feel bad. I'm just so very tired.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:15 am

Sleep, Debra.

Use marijuana, pills or booze, but sleep.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:53 pm

Don't worry about it, Deb. Wilster had it right though.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:57 pm

Deb,

I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. Thanks you so much for letting us know. He will be missed in this community.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:15 pm

I am now in Phnom Penh. I touch down here after about 30 grueling hours of travel. I wisely chugged down 5-hour energy drink, And it really helped me. I had a fantastic time With the family, and you would all be very happy to see how amazingly decorated the pagoda is. Today will be a very important day. We will begin praying at 9 AM, have another prayer session at 10 AM, And then we will rest until 2 PM when we will have a cremation. After that, we will have dinner and drinks with the huge community.

His brothers have been in constant contact with me, and we are working as a team to support all of his best interests and wishes.

Stew Ingredient

Postby grecian » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:59 pm

RIP foolsprogress.

Any Poster on Thorn Tree is a Friend of mine....well....Most of them..

Try and enjoy Phnom Penh, Camino, after the Wake.....especially in the Foreign Correspondent's Club.

Forget the Prayers....Just get the beers in..

Salute!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Higgs Bossom » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Thanks for the updates, Deb.

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:36 am

grecian wrote:RIP foolsprogress.

Try and enjoy Phnom Penh, Camino, after the Wake.....especially in the Foreign Correspondent's Club.

Salute!

I have lots of friends here, and will honor him the way he would have liked! Got great sleep last night. All is we'll.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:03 am

Excellent!
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Stew Ingredient

Postby grecian » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:48 pm

CaminoDeb wrote:
grecian wrote:RIP foolsprogress.

Salute!

I have lots of friends here, and will honor him the way he would have liked! Got great sleep last night. All is we'll.

I'm glad to hear that you have so many Fwends with you at this time of Sad Loss....

(Keep knocking them back...)

Stew Ingredient

Postby thoughtpolice » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:40 pm

RIP indeed, to a Stew and Thorntree original. I recall so many lively exchanges from Talk Politics in the heyday of that crazy and intense time and place. It seems a lifetime ago.

I reckon we are all just passing through, but I am saddened that this man has left us too early. Respects to Debra and Dale, and we all share in our small ways in your loss.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:37 am

Long time, Tcop. Hope all is well.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Charles Martel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:32 am

This sucks. I respected the guy. Sorry to hear this.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Collateral Knowledge » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:51 am

I'm really, really sorry to read this.

I didn't know much about foolsprogress as a person, but I knew from the start that he was among the very top debaters on this board, always quietly analytical, well-informed, and tenacious without being pedantic. I really appreciated his ability to keep responding in the same calm manner - which as I'm sure all posters will acknowledge, is kind of a rarity on this board, and no easy task for most of us. For that manner and for the quality of his posts he had my full respect.

My condolences and best wishes to his family and friends, including those on here who knew him. As this thread has made clearer to me, outside of PS he evidently was quite a guy, who had quite a life - and what more can anyone hope to be, or to have?
21 minutes of adventure!

Stew Ingredient

Postby grecian » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Bearing in mind this is a Sticky on World Of Sport - any idea what Teams he rooted for?

Cricket and Football would be a start...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:42 pm

Its a sticky for the whole forum.

Time to move along, Grecian.

Stew Ingredient

Postby grecian » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:52 pm

So why is it a 'Sticky' on WOS when we don't even know what Teams he supported?

I'll go Arsenal and Melbourne in the AFL and the Kansas City Chiefs in NFL...

Leinster in Rugby; Natch...

(Probably some Stilton based Team in the Cheese Rolling?..)

Shove 'ha'penny?....No idea...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:53 pm

Brilliant.

Stew Ingredient

Postby grecian » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:59 pm

I thought it was good and a fair reply to your Bollocks, to be honest...

I thought that we'd 'made up' and were Fwends now?

Funny way of showing it, to be honest...

Stew Ingredient

Postby guvner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:29 am

RIP.
"If you are OCD and you know it, wash your hands. Clap Clap."

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lost Soul » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:04 am

grecian wrote:Bearing in mind this is a Sticky on World Of Sport - any idea what Teams he rooted for?

Cricket and Football would be a start...

He was from Michigan.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Your hero. Ram it

Postby milton » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:15 am

Just read this :(

RIP
another scotch wetbrain

Stew Ingredient

Postby grecian » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks, Lost Soul

From Michigan?? Out of Missouri?..

(Soz! A William Munny reference there from Unforgiven!....No idea why I posted that!)

Michigan? He had loads of Teams to Root for!

Detroit Lions?
Detroit Tigers?
Detroit Red Wings?
Detroit Pistons?
Michigan State Men's Basketball!
Michigan Wolverines!
Grand Rapids Griffins!
Flint Firebirds!
Saginaw Spirit!
Grand Rapids Driiiiiiiive!

Come on, OP....The poor fella deserves a good send off on a Face Less Forum and it's at the Top of Stew Sports as a 'Sticky' so I want to know what Team he supported?

Stew Ingredient

Postby dBrother » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:59 pm

I hate to parrot what everyone else said, but its true, I liked Foolsprogress and his posts, what he wrote was always worth actually reading.

Sorry for those close to him that lost a good freind..

Stew Ingredient

Postby grecian » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:39 pm

I don't like anyone that Posts on here...

Strange World we live in and RIP..

(Fancy taking this 'Sticky' down within 6 Months, Mods, as it really has done its Course, to be fair..)

Stew Ingredient

Postby CaminoDeb » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:30 am

grecian wrote:I don't like anyone that Posts on here...

Strange World we live in and RIP..

(Fancy taking this 'Sticky' down within 6 Months, Mods, as it really has done its Course, to be fair..)

No, not done yet! I have news to report.

I flew to Cambodia, from Oregon...It is and has always been a pretty horrible journey. Twelve hours in the air, typically--between LAX and China, or BKK, or somewhere....then a shorter jaunt (lol, omg I typed joint then corrected it--someone is ghost-typing) to P Penh.

I arrived P Penh and was immediately picked up at the airport by our oldest (longest working) staff member, a really lovely guy who loved FP. Onward to the house, where I immediately had a loving greeting from wife and two great kids. My one suitcase was stuffed full of Christmas, which was the very best thing ever (his family is so damn good. They bought and bought...just what the ex would have done, and was planning to do).

First off to the morgue. I will type all into a narrative later, but let's say that his best friends and his amazing wife and kids were so loving....so good. In a bad situation, we clung together, and packed his coffin with flowers, tea, ghost money, his favorite clothes....

Then to the pagoda....beautiful set up. His wife was 100% there....it was all flowers, white flowers, jasmine, tiny fragrant flowers, huge photo of him festooned with flowers, incense, huge incense, monks, loud music, prayers, tables set up and family serving coke and water, the hot dustiness of Phnom Penh. Friends coming and going on motors.

Day 2 was the service. 100 or more people there, Khmer and expat. People crying, people silent, people listening, people paying extreme respect to a fine man. I was a speaker, as was his amazing daughter and his good friend. Then, a three-time march around the crematory--yes, it was RIGHT there--and we put him in. It was one of the most intense experiences of my life.

Day 3 was the send off from the boat of his dear friend. A buffet dinner on the boat. Sunset cruise. We put him gently in the water....and drank a 5th of tequila that had been a gift to him, and imbibed in other celebratory rituals that he would have approved wholeheartedly. His friends and best friends and beloved family...all there.

It was the best we could do. It was the least we could do....and it was the best damn send-off I have ever witnessed in my life, and I've sent off a lot of people.

Sorry if this is a little over the top. Just flew in yesterday--hell flight, as always, with plenty of turbulence.

Merry Christmas 2016.

And, by the way, he had a particular fondness for the Detroit Tigers.

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:43 am

Thank you for that, Deb. It is really great to hear how things went. It sounds like it was a pretty amazing and emotional few days. Just what you could hope for. I'm glad he had such a great send-off.

I want to let you know that I really appreciate you checking in and look forward to anything else you can tell us.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Stew Ingredient

Postby Wilster » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:20 am

northern_goddess wrote:I want to let you know that I really appreciate you checking in and look forward to anything else you can tell us.

X2

Thank you Deb, you're living volumes, we're only reading pages; Happy Holidays at best.

Call 1-800-EAT-SHIT

Stew Ingredient

Postby Argonheart_Po » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:15 pm

Thanks Deb - bless you all.

red fanged She-devil

Postby incognita » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:00 pm

Thanks for the report Deb. It sounds like a fitting send-off for a man who was larger than life.
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:16 pm

I appreciate your post, Deb. I'm glad you were all together and able to find comfort in each other.

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:18 pm

Thank you deb. That sounds like an amazing send off.

Stew Ingredient

Postby grecian » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks Deb...

Stew Ingredient

Postby grecian » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:54 pm

I'm so glad that you shared your most precious Moments on a Forum.

Stew Ingredient

Postby grecian » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:55 pm

I find it a bit Sad myself.....

PreviousNext

Return to Famous Dishes