Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

Re: Zaffer was a special kind of crazy

Postby judik » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:05 am

Potpie wrote:everytime i see these posts about him, i get teary eyed. :cry:

Me too
Thinking about Jono and Mr Purps does it to me also
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:11 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:Lost Soul, with (reverse) gravitas

Yep, both were/are misanthropic codgers, but whereas I could write Lost Soul's posts for him, I never knew which direction Zaffer would go.

French Me

Postby Rubyrain » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:35 am

I'm so glad you put this up Pez. I am going to hoist a straight shot in his honor tonight, he will be missed here. It would be wonderful if you made a permanent mark here in his honor, a couple suggestions like Zaffers nerdville, Albidines smoke shop, Zaffers pet planet ,ect. just something..

Its nice to hear everyone thinking of him, and missing him the same. A one of a kind, and a character never to me twinned or matched. RIP Zaffer.
Sweet Freedom whispers in my ear...

Stew Ingredient

Postby veronica_inheels » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:38 am

yep.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

Stew Ingredient

Postby Steve_in_Exile » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:51 am

Piss on all of ya......

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:58 am

I had a dream about him last night. We were walking with Abby up a dirt road and we were surrounded by horse corrals and hills. Two coyotes were running and wrestling up a hill covered in tall, golden California grass. So they were popping in and out of view, yipping as they played. I kept telling ZAffer to look at them, but he wouldn't even though he kept saying he really wanted to see coyotes. Abby was scared for some reason and was leaning into me with fear. It was a very vivid dream. R.I.P. ZAffer.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:26 am

Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

French Me

Postby Rubyrain » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:30 am

Thats great - I am so glad that you , vron and I mentioned him on one of his last posts. hhaha . I am also glad he did escape and went to his man cave at the end and spent his last days with "Bruce the moron" Any ideas what you will do to add him/include him forever here?

There was a picture of him laying in bed with the dogs, that was one of my favorites.

Stew Ingredient
Location: Bay Area -- SF, CA (Don't even think of calling it 'Frisco.')

Postby Wilster » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:38 am

Haha, you don't have to look to hard or long, oops, enough about me, this is just classic Zaffer:

ZAffer wrote:Different priorities at the moment; that stuff can wait.

That gas heater, being EU-built, threw up some little puzzles: there's no (visible) safety interlocks. Just standard thermocoulple. It looks like safety features are inherent in the design. The only way you can turn it off is at the cyclinder. (I like that.)

It's just cylinder to level control,to burners. I kinda like that too. Indications it's inherent: all internal metal tubing is very thin. Probably so gas CAN'T flow/leak beyond a certain limit.

The other thing I noticed was that if I run it for about 30 minutes, I start getting short of breath. I suspect it's burning all the O2 in the room, and possibly producing CO and CO'2. Euro gas is cleaner, with less contaimants than here. WTF, it works.
My moniker is Wilster. How is my posting? If you no like, write suggestions down intelligibly on paper and then...burn it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby ceylon_tea » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:02 am

Sad news! Too bad he is no longer with us. I liked reading his perspective.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:01 am

I had a dream about him last night. We were walking with Abby up a dirt road and we were surrounded by horse corrals and hills. Two coyotes were running and wrestling up a hill covered in tall, golden California grass. So they were popping in and out of view, yipping as they played. I kept telling ZAffer to look at them, but he wouldn't even though he kept saying he really wanted to see coyotes. Abby was scared for some reason and was leaning into me with fear. It was a very vivid dream. R.I.P. ZAffer.

i forget who, but someone told me (maybe family, maybe relatives) that when someone who has passed away shows up in your dreams, if you talk to them, they will not reply.

Stew Ingredient

Postby yehyeh » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:36 am

Stew Ingredient

Postby Steve_in_Exile » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Thanks for that link, Yehyeh, great videos which I hadn't seen before. I thought worth posting the youtube videos here. I loved the one of Zaf speaking, as I had never heard his voice before, and love the mass stick throwing for the dogs in the river--what a great life for the dogs. Gabz, if you read this, are those scars really from his burns?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:24 pm

love the dog swim video.

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:29 pm

Cool videos. And I wondered about the scars too. And why/how did gabz mum set him on fire?
Pass the wine...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Jim-2012 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:Thanks for that link, Yehyeh, great videos which I hadn't seen before. I thought worth posting the youtube videos here. I loved the one of Zaf speaking, as I had never heard his voice before, and love the mass stick throwing for the dogs in the river--what a great life for the dogs.

Yeah, I can't view stuff on Facebook because I never joined.
Thanks for re-posting the videos here.
“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”
“To learn who rules over you, simply find out whom you are not allowed to criticize.”

Stew Ingredient

Postby SkinnyPuppy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Never liked him, but feel somehow sorry he's gone.
If he could do so he would be blaming the USA and jews for his death.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:26 pm

That video of the vikingship is oarsome! That video made me a unquestionable zaffer fan.
I remember the 1st time i saw it. It was at that point i decided i had a reason to visit africa, to visit smoke and zaffer.

I will second the motion of naming nerdville something in his honour.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:29 pm

Those videos are great. Love the 'snake handlers' at the end of the dog video.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Are we sure Bruce (you moron) isn't just a really happy dog? (Not so much now.) :cry:
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:25 pm

Agent009 wrote:I will second the motion of naming nerdville something in his honour.

Maybe something like ZAffer's Man-Cave:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=137401&p=2685264&hilit=Bruce+the+moron+#p2684953

Stew Ingredient

Postby gabz » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi Steve

The scars on his arms were from a mauling by dogs when we first moved onto Smoke. There were two dogs that were very territorial, ZAffer had been drinking and was alone on Smoke so I'm not too certain what happened but his story was that he slipped and the dogs went for him. They chewed the tendons out his arm. The other scars were from when he was trying to get my attention when I was deadlining and threw a light through the window I was working by. His misaimed and his hand went through. Slashed some arteries.

:) Never a dull moment with the man.

If any of you come to SA please do come visit. ZAffer would like that and so would I
"Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up." - Terry Pratchett

Stew Ingredient

Postby snowgirl » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Thanks for starting this thread. It didn't seem really appropriate to talk about my own feelings on the RIP thread but I've been feeling low about Zaffer's death, too. Every time I open the Stew and see that sticky I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like I kind of can't believe it. Thanks for posting the videos, too. The one of Zaf talking about his scars is hilarious. Makes me feel better, somehow.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Stew Ingredient

Postby flatfoot » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Thanks for the link to the Facebook pictures and the videos. What a guy.
Last edited by flatfoot on Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthernLight » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:49 pm

That mystery of the missing plane will never be solved now.

I enjoyed that thread. I'll miss the old fart.

What's the Zaffer significance with a Bilbao tree in Katima Mulalo? I don't remember a special bilbao tree in Katima; what did I miss?

Man-Cave is too ordinary. The Sheep-dip Lounge sounds better, imho.

Thanks for the links, I also can't access the facebook photos.
"A male usually had made up his mind before you began to talk to him -so why bother?- but a female, because her mind was more supple, was always prepared to become more disappointed in you than she had yet suspected possible."
— G. Maguire

Stew Ingredient

Postby mishmish » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:00 pm

lol that video of zaffer carrying on about the supposed crocodiles (ciggie in hand) was EXACTLY how I had imagined he would be. thank you for that. I've known people like that. maybe not so easy to deal with either in real life or virtual reality, but with a knack for reflecting blinding bright life.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:03 pm

Sadly I miss my old foe. I'm thinking he just lived and died on his own terms, hard ass until the very end.
Germany bans foreign media, temporarily
Postby Flobster » Mar 5th, 1933 7:52 am

Germany has banned foreign-produced media programmes for a month before its elections.

Seems like a good idea.

Stew Ingredient

Postby veronica_inheels » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:12 pm

Sheep Dip Lounge is much better than generic man cave.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:13 pm

LOL!

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:24 pm

snowgirl wrote:Thanks for starting this thread. It didn't seem really appropriate to talk about my own feelings on the RIP thread but I've been feeling low about Zaffer's death, too. Every time I open the Stew and see that sticky I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like I kind of can't believe it. Thanks for posting the videos, too. The one of Zaf talking about his scars is hilarious. Makes me feel better, somehow.

I feel the same, Snow. It's also hard to see his posts popping up in resurrected threads.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lincoln » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:28 pm

snowgirl wrote:Thanks for starting this thread. It didn't seem really appropriate to talk about my own feelings on the RIP thread but I've been feeling low about Zaffer's death, too. Every time I open the Stew and see that sticky I get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like I kind of can't believe it. Thanks for posting the videos, too. The one of Zaf talking about his scars is hilarious. Makes me feel better, somehow.

I think you sum up how so many of us feel about Zaffers passing,for some reason its really getting to me,i'm sad but at the same time I have this life affirming feeling about it all,its a testament to the man that we feel this way.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Higgs Bossom » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:30 pm

ZAffer's Smoke Lounge or Room

Stew Ingredient

Postby shilgia » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:55 pm

But how will it be clear that it's nerdville? Zaffer's Sheepdip Experimentation Lounge?

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:00 pm

I'd like something using "Smoke", since that place was in some ways a laboratory for his endless experiments and high jinx.

But I'm also worried this could cause other posters to seek their own deaths so that they too can immortalized with their own branch on the Stew.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthernLight » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Ahh, I missed the Nerdville piece. In that case, "The Sheep Dip Tinkering Shed; Nerd Central"

Smoke doesn't reasonate enough for me, although I take your point.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Steve_in_Exile » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:30 pm

NorthernLight wrote:What's the Zaffer significance with a Bilbao tree in Katima Mulalo? I don't remember a special bilbao tree in Katima; what did I miss?

There is a huge ass Baobab tree in the middle of Katima Mulilo that's hollowed out and has a flush toilet inside the tree, and when I hitched through there in 1985, a guy insisted on taking me to see it, as though it was THE prime tourist attraction in Katima. Well many years later Saffer and I were talking about something and one of us mentioned that, and it turned out we were both familiar with that same tree. Saffer had been posted in Katima in I think the late 70's or very early 80's, and we both just got a charge out of it. And we both dug out and scanned some old pics of the toilet tree, and posted them. Have to look up that thread and link it. Did someone else mention that tree on this thread?

Here it is...

Last edited by Steve_in_Exile on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stew Ingredient

Postby veronica_inheels » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:31 pm

for most of us, the name Smoke only came up now.
while sheep dip has been around for a long time. and cant be mistaken for anything else. it is pure zaffer

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lincoln » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:41 pm

veronica_inheels wrote:for most of us, the name Smoke only came up now.
while sheep dip has been around for a long time. and cant be mistaken for anything else. it is pure zaffer

Agreed,i never heard the term "Smoke" before,did it refer to smoking weed or to burning fires?,what was it referring to?

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:18 pm

It's the name of Zaffers and Gabz's property
It was mentioned as far back as 2012 maybe sooner
Zaffer posted a video here of a short movie shot there
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthernLight » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:35 pm

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
NorthernLight wrote:What's the Zaffer significance with a Bilbao tree in Katima Mulalo? I don't remember a special bilbao tree in Katima; what did I miss?

There is a huge ass Baobab tree in the middle of Katima Mulilo that's hollowed out and has a flush toilet inside the tree, and when I hitched through there in 1985, a guy insisted on taking me to see it, as though it was THE prime tourist attraction in Katima. Well many years later Saffer and I were talking about something and one of us mentioned that, and it turned out we were both familiar with that same tree. Saffer had been posted in Katima in I think the late 70's or very early 80's, and we both just got a charge out of it. And we both dug out and scanned some old pics of the toilet tree, and posted them. Have to look up that thread and link it. Did someone else mention that tree on this thread?

Now I'm feeling left out. Nobody showed me that tree.

ETA: see shavenhead's post on this thread.
Last edited by NorthernLight on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:38 pm

Why a branch named for Zaffer, and not one for Jono?

Let's face it, we're all going to get old/have health issues/peg out at some point. Some of us sooner than others. Where will the branch naming end? We'll/you'll run out of branches to name quite quickly, at this rate.
Pass the wine...

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthernLight » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:42 pm

leela wrote:Why a branch named for Zaffer, and not one for Jono?

Let's face it, we're all going to get old/have health issues/peg out at some point. Some of us sooner than others. Where will the branch naming end? We'll/you'll run out of branches to name quite quickly, at this rate.

They could just name one of the branches, "crazy wanker's", and we'd all be covered.

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:48 pm

I know what we need. A health branch. It can be named for 'absent friends' or 'the dear departed'. Or simply 'We told them to go to the doctors, FFS'
Pass the wine...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:58 pm

when smoke was mentioned, i wondered if he was smoking something that made him high, which was odd since he hated illegal drugs! so yeah, i would not use smoke in a branch name even if smoke had been mentioned as the name of his property long ago. Even i didn't know it was the name of his property. I don't think he mentioned it by name all that often if at all in his posts.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:17 am

Leela, i get your point, the only reason i spoke up was because he was one of the 8 people who posted there.
One of the branches biggest contributors.......
At least of the reeeeeeally nerdy stuff.
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:22 am

Steve_in_Exile wrote:Thanks for that link, Yehyeh, great videos which I hadn't seen before. I thought worth posting the youtube videos here. I loved the one of Zaf speaking, as I had never heard his voice before, and love the mass stick throwing for the dogs in the river--what a great life for the dogs. Gabz, if you read this, are those scars really from his burns?

thanks

pretty much as i expected

Stew Ingredient

Postby suck it up » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:43 am

The dog video is great. I watched it twice. I loved seeing Bruceyoumoron and the snake handlers. Very cool. It was sad seeing Zaffer so thin and sick looking though.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:45 am

i see some ridgeback mixes!

French Me

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:04 am

leela wrote:Why a branch named for Zaffer, and not one for Jono?

? odd thing to say. No one is disrespecting Jono, or others like Billet when they died, or took their own life. I am sure the mods will keep both threads in famous dishes - permanently for them as they deserve. Many posters came out and requested that a room be named after Zaff { nerdville, heh maybe soundoff, etc} because as one poster replied - Zaff is the Stew, he was consistent, he was an open book for all to see, and share his life, he also contributed until 3 or 4 days before he died, unlike others including Jono/Billet who come and go. He is a one of a kind, and I understand why so many have requested he have his name on a board.

Everyone is very honest about the rough edges of him too. He deserves permanent place on a board, because the majority asked for it. Yes, Jono killed himself, and Billet died, and many of are going to die too, but none of us put into Stew that Zaff did for a solid decade, even his foes get that.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Jim-2012 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:14 am

Well put, Ruby.
“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”
“To learn who rules over you, simply find out whom you are not allowed to criticize.”

PreviousNext

Return to Famous Dishes