Zaffer was a special kind of crazy

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

Re: Zaffer was a special kind of crazy

Postby Scrubb » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:23 am

I saw people ask if we could change the name of this branch to include Jono. It didn't seem to go anywhere, but given his years of moderation here, and the fact that so many, many people were moved at the news of his death to come back and post after long absences, I think he has a place in the collective heart of the Stew too.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

French Me

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:31 am

Scrubb wrote:I saw people ask if we could change the name of this branch to include Jono. It didn't seem to go anywhere, but given his years of moderation here, and the fact that so many, many people were moved at the news of his death to come back and post after long absences, I think he has a place in the collective heart of the Stew too.

Do you know how Albo's was named? What everyone did and went through? So, no Albo's won't be changed.

I only saw a couple people requesting that Jono be named on a board or change Albo's, unlike with Zaff. It feels weird to type this, because its not a scoreboard on death. There are many empty spots to fill, still on. Most don't want it, or have earned their stripes. Zaff its crystal clear, posters want it and he earned it.

Maybe you can just tell me why he doesn't deserve it, or earned it.
Sweet Freedom whispers in my ear...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:34 am

I don't have an opinion on the matter, to be honest. But I didn't feel about Zaffer the way many others seem to have (not that I hated him or anything), while I always really liked and respected Jono - thought he was a far greater asset to the board as a whole.

French Me

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:39 am

Scrubb wrote:I don't have an opinion on the matter, to be honest. But I didn't feel about Zaffer the way many others seem to have (not that I hated him or anything), while I always really liked and respected Jono - thought he was a far greater asset to the board as a whole.

I understand, its actually gross to have this conversation, sometimes its best to just sit back and say nothing. Thats what I would've done if it was Jono or Billet, and I liked them both. I can't imagine being you or leela in this.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:41 am

Please. These posts are painful to read for those of us that are saddened by the all the recent deaths. We don't need to compare people just because they both have death in common. Please stop. And please stop fighting in this thread.

French Me

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:45 am

avalon_ wrote:Please. These posts are painful to read for those of us that are saddened by the all the recent deaths. We don't need to compare people just because they both have death in common. Please stop. And please stop fighting in this thread.

I 100% agree.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:45 am

I honestly don't think Zaffer would give a shit about leela or me bringing up the question, if he were around to read this. As many people have said, he went his own way and didn't much care what anyone else thought or said. In fact, I suspect he'd be delighted to see a little argument / discord. But as I already said, I'm not opposed to it if people want to change a branch name in his honour. It was really just a question of how the decision is made in various cases.

I also didn't think anyone was fighting - it was supposed to be discussion, not argument. But if I'm upsetting people (which is/was unintentional) this is clearly not the place for that discussion and I'll shut up.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:29 am

Rubyrain wrote:
Scrubb wrote:I saw people ask if we could change the name of this branch to include Jono. It didn't seem to go anywhere, but given his years of moderation here, and the fact that so many, many people were moved at the news of his death to come back and post after long absences, I think he has a place in the collective heart of the Stew too.

Do you know how Albo's was named? What everyone did and went through? So, no Albo's won't be changed.

I only saw a couple people requesting that Jono be named on a board or change Albo's, unlike with Zaff. It feels weird to type this, because its not a scoreboard on death. There are many empty spots to fill, still on. Most don't want it, or have earned their stripes. Zaff its crystal clear, posters want it and he earned it.

Maybe you can just tell me why he doesn't deserve it, or earned it.

Go take your 1,200 posts and two years here and shove them up your ass. You haven't a fucking clue moving around in your empty little head. Maybe you can tell me why anyone who has been around here for a decade or more should give a flying fuck what you allegedly think, you brain dead twatsickle newby nobody. It feels weird to type what you did because no human being with any sort of empathy or understanding would have posited what you did. There's something very wrong with you. Clearly. Thanks for trying to turn this into a pissing contest. The collective fucking heart of the stew? What the fuck would you know about it?
Flobster wrote:'Ape' isn't really a term of abuse for Aborigines. It has become so a bit becauase it is, apparently, a term of abuse for Africans/African Americans. Goodes does look a bit chimpanzee-like, just as Bobby 'The Chimp' Skilton did.

Stew Ingredient

Postby 2wilzgood » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:52 am

If, as some say, deaths occur in threes, then the stew has had its portion.

For now.

Enough is enough, calm down.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Ernest Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

Stew Ingredient

Postby mad hatter » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 am

I always chuckled at zaffers antics whether it be his stories, photos, winding people up or his amerika conspiracy theories he was a fucken hard case.

But then I appreciate a good old renegade
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Stew Ingredient

Postby TheDevil » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:43 am

Rubyrain wrote:Maybe you can just tell me why he doesn't deserve it, or earned it.

Because zaffer was a complete idiot
هناك لا إله إلا الشيطان

Stew Ingredient

Postby shunter » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:39 am

I dont want to put a downer on this sentimentality but this board will probably be around for a few more years yet and doubtless a few more of us will keel over before it shuts so its not sucha a good idea to start naming boards after people.
Untrollable since 2017

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:58 am

The U.S. has a policy of not putting anyone on stamps or coins until five years after their death. That always seemed like a good idea to me.

Immediately after JFK was killed, lots of things were renamed for him, and later on people realized that some of them had had better names before, e.g. Cape Canaveral/Kennedy. I wish JFK airport was still called Idlewild, a lovely name. Some college was embarrassed after the Enron scandal because of a building named for Ken Lay.

There's no hurry.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Undertree » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:39 pm

As one of the newer stewbies, my vote in renaming would be to not to rename.

what are we going to call it? AlboJonoZaff?

Really?
Did you see that?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Chi suggested naming Nerdville after one of our greatest tinkerers, which I thought was a good call.

How could anyone here possibly get annoyed by that?

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:56 pm

I don't think anyone at all is annoyed by that.
Pass the wine...

Stew Ingredient

Postby brodie_bruce » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:39 pm

Rubyrain wrote:Do you know how Albo's was named? What everyone did and went through? So, no Albo's won't be changed.

As a relative newcomer I have to plead ignorance - I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread with the full story. Is it inappropriate to ask or can someone point me to a relevant thread (I'd search but I'm at work on a shit connection).
Can't help feeling we'll come to look back fondly on 2016. As we scrabble for rat meat & potable water in the apocalyptic wastes of 2017.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Jim-2012 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:Chi suggested naming Nerdville after one of our greatest tinkerers, which I thought was a good call.

We could rename Nerdville to "ZAffer's Nerdville."
“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”
“To learn who rules over you, simply find out whom you are not allowed to criticize.”

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:54 pm

Five years from now.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Jim-2012 wrote:
Stephen_Dedalus wrote:Chi suggested naming Nerdville after one of our greatest tinkerers, which I thought was a good call.

We could rename Nerdville to "ZAffer's Nerdville."

And as Nerdville only accounts for 0.14% of total board posts to date.
Shouldn't need to form a committee.
Last edited by Stephen_Dedalus on Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stew Ingredient

Postby brodie_bruce » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:05 pm

VinnyD wrote:The U.S. has a policy of not putting anyone on stamps or coins until five years after their death. That always seemed like a good idea to me.

We've got a statue of Amy Winehouse in Camden now - apparently the council there have a 20 year rule (on statues anyway).

"I had a meeting with Camden council and they told me they don't usually allow statues until 20 years after someone has died, but in Amy's case they made an exception," he said.
Can't help feeling we'll come to look back fondly on 2016. As we scrabble for rat meat & potable water in the apocalyptic wastes of 2017.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Agent009 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:25 pm

For anyone who wants the scooop on albo, check the stickies in famous dishes......
Choose my bluest tape and unlock my car
An honest tune with a lingering lead has taken me this far

Stew Ingredient

Postby brodie_bruce » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:29 pm

Agent009 wrote:For anyone who wants the scooop on albo, check the stickies in famous dishes......

Thanks......

Stew Ingredient

Postby BulletPark » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:42 pm

We pelted each other with vicious one-liners over the years but I will miss the old crank, who did indeed seem indestructable. Unflappable, more like - very seldom did he rise to anyone's bait. Respect due and given.

Stew Ingredient

Postby rezuar » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:31 pm

Well... Whether one liked him or not, Zaffer did make a difference. Thats a fact.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Collateral Knowledge » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:54 pm

I know this is a sensitive subject, but I agree with Shunter. Renaming other parts is fine by me, but in a practical sense we can't just keep doing that endlessly. I think down the road there will be more upset as people ask why X and Y are commemorated and D and E are not.

I'm guessing the memorial threads on Jono and Zaffer will eventually go alongside those on Albodine in Famous Dishes. That seems about right. Maybe we could have a part in there or elsewhere called something like the Stew Memorial Herb Garden and add to as and when sadly necessary. That way we can remind ourselves of Stewbies who have passed on, and see them all next to each other - which would surely have amused all of them, and we won't feel there's either competition or omission.
21 minutes of adventure!

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:00 pm

the Stew Memorial Herb Garden

I like it. Zaffer's herb would of course, be somewhat special.
Pass the wine...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:56 pm

zaffer hated illegal drugs including pot.

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Ah. Then I'm sorry I'm to late to edit that.

And may I suggest a patch of Dogweed then?

Pass the wine...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Undertree » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:32 pm

I hate to think that we'd have enough of these to warrant an "In Memorium" branch, even if it were called something lovely like "The Garden"
Did you see that?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Collateral Knowledge » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Potpie: I really didn't especially intend a reference to 'drug' herbs, I simply meant the 'kitchen' kind, because of Stew.

Undertree: I too would hope not either. It looks kind of a bad idea now I think of it again, but there has been a lot of grim news recently.
21 minutes of adventure!

Stew Ingredient

Postby queenrania » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:45 pm

SkinnyPuppy wrote:Never liked him, but feel somehow sorry he's gone.
If he could do so he would be blaming the USA and jews for his death.

Hatred of Jews has never been a productive activity nor has it ever been conducive to a healthy living. On the contrary is accelerates one's demise or the demise of his/hers family members. Lets hope the anti-Semites take notice. After all there are still plenty of them on this forum.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:56 pm

zafferville!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Annotated » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:41 pm

Wilster wrote: in some ways Zaffer reminds me a bit of the Ginger Baker documentary (the part taking place in Africa); Beware of Mr. Baker (2012).

Had never heard of that. Looked it up on Netflix, and its "best guess" rating for me was about 4.75 stars out of 5.
Fuck the Founding Fathers. There's a new daddy in town!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:44 pm

They guy who played drums for Cream?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Annotated » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:45 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:They guy who played drums for Cream?

Yeah, he was supposedly a wild fucker. I'd read about him a little in Eric Clapton's autobiography.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:06 am

Well, duh

appreciated

Stew Ingredient

Postby Kikilamour » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:34 am

god, i just LOVE those videos. they are as good as i hoped and exactly how i pictured him... only even better. hahaha. i'm still chortling. what a life on smoke it must be.
arms chewed off by dogs, snakes, everything, i mean, i just don't come across this kind of world. i really enjoyed reading this thread. i want more pictures and videos.

Stew Ingredient

Postby veronica_inheels » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:36 am

he was an awesome man. my fav on the stew.
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:38 am

veronica_inheels wrote:he was an awesome man. my fav on the stew.

i agree, awesome drummer

Stew Ingredient

Postby Annotated » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:52 am

Here's a classic one. Check out Katmir.

Dog hierarchy.

Butch. M. Alpha male.Semi retired. Visits if hungry. Raised from puppy.
Yogi. F. Alpha bitch. (Adopted)
Bruce. M. (The moron.) Yogi sidekick. (Adopted)
Smokey. M. GI (general infantry)
Katmir. M. (Only dog mentioned in the koran. GI. Rescued. Probably gay)
Biter. F. GI Raised from puppy. SOB mom.
Doobie. F. GI Adopted. Raised by stoner.
Ghost. M. GI Just arrived one day. Used to live at local cellphone tower.
Monkey. F. GI Raised from puppy. More like a baboon tho.
Coffee. M. GI Raised from puppy.
SOB. (Maybe 'arf!')

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:54 am

Good link, sucklebum

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:01 am

The great suckling flouncers strategy
is to upset mowbama zaffer fans

because suckling's parents died rejecting him
if he knew them

go for it, flounce

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:21 am

the stew feels like a paler version of itself and less substantiative now that zaffer is gone.

French Me

Postby Rubyrain » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:54 am

Potpie wrote:the stew feels like a paler version of itself and less substantiative now that zaffer is gone.

Aww. nice Potpie - its different, and something, no someone is missing.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Jim-2012 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:58 am

Potpie wrote:the stew feels like a paler version of itself and less substantiative now that zaffer is gone.

Yeah, and even in his final days, his posts were substantive.
I think he really wanted to live, but it wasn't to be. I wonder if the docs were honest with him about his condition.
“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”
“To learn who rules over you, simply find out whom you are not allowed to criticize.”

Stew Ingredient

Postby veronica_inheels » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:03 am

maybe he just didnt tell us what was wrong...

and potpie is right. i didnt expect he would die, somehow he felt invincible to me. and i am surprised by how much sad i got. it just chokes me up
You only get one turn on this merry-go-round of life. Chase your happiness. -Nines

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:30 am

I assumed that when his hospital stay turned indefinite and they were delaying tests that it was some sort of hospice situation.

He was a crazy fucker. The viking ship video is how I always pictured him and how I'll remember him.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:36 am

i think it was the tb. was he getting treated for it in the hospital or was it too late? it causes weight loss and all that too.

Stew Ingredient

Postby veronica_inheels » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:54 am

how can one die of TB in the 21 century? after 90 days in a hospital? with antibiotics etc... i dont think that was it.
he said they were looking for bleeding. something was wrong with his blood count.

PreviousNext

Return to Famous Dishes