Zaffer was a special kind of crazy

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Admin's Concubine

Zaffer was a special kind of crazy

Postby pezworld » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:15 am

I've seen tributes to him here and on Facebook. A lot of people who knew him in real life called him "crazy."

I always thought of him as crazy like a fox. A true eccentric. Brilliant and grouchy. Not looneytunes crazy.

What a character. I'm going to miss him, though I never met him. I wish I had.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Queen Bee

Re: Zaffer was a special kind of crazy

Postby northern_goddess » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:20 am

I also had a really special spot for him, regardless of his comments about slave-o-matics, etc.

I'm so glad that for the sake of the werepups that he was able to go home and spend his last days there. He loved Smoke and the pups and everything about his life there.

He was a colourful man and he added and interesting perspective to the site here. I'm sorry I never got to meet him. I still hope to meet gabz one of these days.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:22 am

Poor Gabz. I hope to meet her someday too. I really enjoyed the show of hers I watched on YouTube and look forward to others.

Poor Bruce (the Moron). That dog Zaffer described as dumb but fiercely loyal to him.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Stew Ingredient

Postby Tortilla Slim » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:25 am

I agree. Not even crazy so much as just a man who had found what he liked and was set in his ways. I argued with him over a few topics and he wasn't one to budge.

His passing shocked me and made my day a gloomy one. Good man. Loved his dogs. As much as he joked about his 'slaves' I feel he liked them too.

He was too young to go and I was sure he'd kick his illness in the ass and come back to tell us all we were idiots.

:(
"I want you to slap me in the face with your big bean burrito, Taco" - Saheli (Read more here (NSFW) http://tinyurl.com/http-politicalstew-com)

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:27 am

I actually didn't think he'd come out of this one. For all the spirit he had, he was worried about this illness for a long time. I had a bad feeling. I wasn't expecting this today though.

Former showgirl

Postby lolasf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:44 am

Tortilla Slim wrote:His passing shocked me and made my day a gloomy one. Good man. Loved his dogs. As much as he joked about his 'slaves' I feel he liked them too.

He was too young to go and I was sure he'd kick his illness in the ass and come back to tell us all we were idiots.

I really thought he'd kick it too. I audibly gasped this morning when I logged on and saw the sticky. My own reaction surprised me. It's cast a big shadow over my day, thinking of an internet man who I'd never even met. Strange days.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

Stew Ingredient

Postby rezuar » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:51 am

When the TT was shot down and we moved to this place, Zaffer was the spirit of the whole PS to me.
I always enjoyed reading his posts, looking at his pics. And still hoping he d get through when he got so ill.
A true legend gone.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Steve_in_Exile » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:15 am

Stew Ingredient

Postby rezuar » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:30 am

It must be a quite recent one, Steve?

red fanged She-devil

Postby incognita » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:45 am

I'm with Pez, I also thought he was brilliant, if grouchy & ornery. And really, a good person underneath it all. And I liked the way he would cobble things together. He seemed to be someone who wouldn't panic, who you would want to have around if it hit the fan because he would just deal instead of losing it (but still swearing a blue streak the entire time). He reminded me so much of my grandpa Ed, who was also grouchy & ornery. I had hoped to meet him one day too, along with Gabz.

He never seemed to recover after the sheep dip incident, and that may have hastened his death. It wasn't unexpected, but still a shock when I opened the Stew this AM.
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Boinkity_Boink » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:51 am

>As much as he joked about his 'slaves' I feel he liked them too.
Yes, me too. He called them 'slaves', but his way of using it was more in reference to their predicament on the socioeconomic ladder. It was a way of saying he was aware of it, didn't like it, but couldn't do a whole lot about it. One thing about South Africans that a lot of Naukanzeu's don't realize is that in spite of apartheid, South Africa in some ways was on the forefront of racial relations. And the white people there, racist or not, do have insights to the cultures there that people on the outside don't have. What always surprised me about that part of the world is how quick honkeys who came there to live adopted many of the ways and complaints of the South Africa whites.

Stew Ingredient

Postby yehyeh » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:19 am

Can someone PM me his name so I can check out his facebook site?

Stew Ingredient

Postby yehyeh » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:35 am

I cried when I read the post late last night. And thought about him a lot today, and his dogs and those projects of his. I'm astounded that someone I've never met could effect me so much.

I loved those pics when Judik visited him. I also thought that one day I'd meet him, and that he'd be a cranky old coot.

Stew Ingredient

Postby fishface » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:40 am

Zaffer was ps to me too. Crazy old coot, but a genuine one.

I also thought of him today at work (it is nearly 10pm here). Couldn't really explain that i was pensive because of a friendly internet person.
Last edited by fishface on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stew Ingredient

Postby andybox » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:41 am

He didnt give a fuck what anyone said or thought about him. He could be a right cunt, and often sparred with me over aircraft and pilots and all things flying, but at the end of the day he was always worth a read. I hope they don't leave the sheep dip lying around wherever he's gone.

Stew Ingredient

Postby jessica_fletcher » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:49 am

Oh Im so glad others felt upset by it, I know that sounds odd but it was a real shitty day and I was genuinely down....about a cranky fella who never knew my name!

Made me wonder if we keep posting here till our graves, who is going to be the last one to turn the stew hallway light off?
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

Stew Ingredient

Postby brodie_bruce » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:20 am

Ahhhh shit.

I wasn't around yesterday (at home sick with no broadband......bored doesn't begin to describe it) but saw the was in the title and heart sunk a little bit as thought the "was" in the OP title could really only mean one thing.

andybox wrote:He didnt give a fuck what anyone said or thought about him. He could be a right cunt, and often sparred with me over aircraft and pilots and all things flying, but at the end of the day he was always worth a read. I hope they don't leave the sheep dip lying around wherever he's gone.

Couldn't have put it better really. I suspect any time I see Sheepdip beer on tap zaffer will cross my mind. The cranky fucker!
Hard work pays off in the future; laziness pays off now.

Stew Ingredient

Postby jessica_fletcher » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:22 am

There is a sticky at the top of the page too, Brodie

And on another note, cant your tether from your mobile?

Stew Ingredient

Postby rezuar » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:27 am

Heheh.
Sheepdip would be a great name for this place.

Stew Ingredient

Postby jessica_fletcher » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:32 am

The Stew should have a bar room called 'Sheepdip' for all PUI conversations.

Stew Ingredient

Postby shunter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:37 am

Someone will need to step up to the plate and hold the US accountable for their evil now the CIA have got him.
Untrollable since 2017

Stew Ingredient

Postby rezuar » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:43 am

jessica_fletcher wrote:The Stew should have a bar room called 'Sheepdip' for all PUI conversations.

Yup.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chi_Rup » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:19 am

Might as well close down or rename Nerdville now. Zaffer's mad laboratory experiments made that place. I liked that he never let a lack of knowledge stop him, he just ploughed on through applying what he did know about other stuff. Which is true pigheaded genius/stupidity and a rare talent.

Not for Zaffer the tidy and safe electrical junction box, but he'd be working on a robot-controlled beer delivery system instead.

Goat Roper

Postby CatScanMan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:09 am

I think the beer might have beer responsible for a lot of those mad projects not going very far.

It's really sad, he was a character.

Stew Ingredient

Postby fishface » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:16 am

This thread has made me smile. Is there really a sheepdip beer? Sheepdip will live on.

Stew Ingredient

Postby brodie_bruce » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:20 am

jessica_fletcher wrote:There is a sticky at the top of the page too, Brodie

And on another note, cant your tether from your mobile?

Yeah, I've since seen the sticky - this post was just the very first thing that caught my eye this morning.

Can't tether. Phone is a piece of shit Alcatel which needs replacing. Or smashing. Whichever comes first.
Hard work pays off in the future; laziness pays off now.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scaramouche » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:55 am

I didn't know he'd gone till I read this. Bugger it why is it all the good ones have to go and all the rotte nbastards are still walkign around? I like him, I liked Zaffer a lot, he was always out there full on, not a day would go by without reading something wild and wacky by Zaffer. BRilliant man, wonderful bloke, loved his dogs didn't care that his house was a mess, but he could write his topics and knowledge are not something the stew will see again. I'm going to really miss him. I never met him but I feel as if I knew him I'm blubbering here like a baby.
Goodbye Zaffer, wherever you may be give em hell and shake the rafters.
I attended the University of Common Sense and have a Selective Hearing Impairment Diploma.
He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Undertree » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:39 pm

When I read the news it just added to what had been a very stressful and unpleasant 24 hours and start to the New Year. His was the first death of 3 so far that I've learned of since Wednesday.

Zaffer liked to cause trouble. It gave him joy and even when arguing with people, he did it with a great deal of zaatz.
Did you see that?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Steve_in_Exile » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:56 pm

rezuar wrote:It must be a quite recent one, Steve?

It's at least a couple years old, maybe 3 or 4. It's a grab from a Youtube video Zaffer posted which was shot on "Smoke" using some props he had around his place. I believe it's pre sheep dip. I would tend to agree that Saffer never fully recovered from the sheep dip incident, but I couldn't be sure, as he certainly had other health issues related to the drinking and smoking. I was really worried about him, based on his continued weight loss even while hospitalized, and the length of his hospitalization. Back when I was going through my cancer treatments, I had a little bet going with him over whether I would outlive him or not, and I'm glad I won that, but I have to say my eyes did water up upon reading the news yesterday. I have an open invitation to go to South Africa for work related stuff, and like others have said, I figured I'd meet him one day, and sorry I won't get that chance now.

We really ought to search some of the old threads and put up pictures here, would seem an appropriate thread for that.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Jim-2012 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Here are a couple from early 2013:

ZAffer-2013-01-07-00280.jpg
ZAffer-2013-01-07-00280.jpg (204.38 KiB) Viewed 5575 times
Attachments
ZAffer-2013-02-20-00440.jpg
ZAffer-2013-02-20-00440.jpg (192.67 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”
“To learn who rules over you, simply find out whom you are not allowed to criticize.”

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:30 pm

Gabz just posted about 100 on Facebook. There are a few with him in a bathtub outside (with cigarette), and a few with him wearing a kilt. There are even more with him wearing nothing at all (from behind).

Stew Ingredient

Postby jessica_fletcher » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:47 pm

:lol:

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Whether you agree or disagree with his politics he was indeed an original
Quirky, eccentric and true to himself- what I saw when I met him was what he was on here
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411739175.720831.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411739175.720831.jpg (106.56 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

March 2012
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby Jim-2012 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:01 pm

judik wrote:Whether you agree or disagree with his politics he was indeed an original
Quirky, eccentric and true to himself- what I saw when I met him was what he was on here
March 2012

Thanks, Judik. Minor point - You posted that photo on March 2013, not 2012.
“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”
“To learn who rules over you, simply find out whom you are not allowed to criticize.”

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:08 pm

If I could search for the 'Post your feet' thread i'm sure we could see one of him in the bath with a Dirty Harry style pistol.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Lincoln » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:31 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:If I could search for the 'Post your feet' thread i'm sure we could see one of him in the bath with a Dirty Harry style pistol.

I remember that picture,he was a class act.

Stew Ingredient

Postby sieve » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:35 pm

He really got into the feet thread. I'll miss the feet pictures.
"what day is today?" asked Pooh
"it's the day we burn this motherfucker to the ground" squeaked Piglet
"my favorite day" said Pooh

Stew Ingredient

Postby judik » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks, Judik. Minor point - You posted that photo on March 2013, not 2012.

You are absolutely right.In my photo stream it says that
I knew it as a few years ago,i guess in my doddering old age i don't know what year it is!!!
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Stew Ingredient

Postby Steve_in_Exile » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:29 pm

This one made me chuckle--classic Saffer...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:45 pm

I actually never thought of him as bat shit crazy kind of crazy. I always figured a lot of his posts we to wind some people up and many were tongue in cheek. I didn't always (ok often) agree with him on things political, but loved his posts about his place and "inventions" and day to day life. He will truly be missed.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Queen Bee

Postby northern_goddess » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:47 pm

That mystery of the missing plane will never be solved now. :(
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Stew Ingredient
Location: Bay Area -- SF, CA (Don't even think of calling it 'Frisco.')

Postby Wilster » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:03 pm

Zaffer was a fixture; I can't say that I got too involved in his threads or with him, but yeah, maybe back in the day. I do remember a poster (I don't know if it was Bulletpunk?) making a spoof about Zaffer traveling in the US with dialogue and all. I just don't seem to have time to post much, but lurk a lot and will certainly miss seeing his handle regularly even if I didn't enter a thread of his or read his responses.

Cowtown met him too. I'd like to think that if I was in the area (I mean I will get there someday) I would have looked him up. I did like his resourcefulness. Now that I think about it, in some ways Zaffer reminds me a bit of the Ginger Baker documentary (the part taking place in Africa); Beware of Mr. Baker (2012).
My moniker is Wilster. How is my posting? If you no like, write suggestions down intelligibly on paper and then...burn it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby mad hatter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:18 pm

I always liked the guy, he made me smile with his theories and other projects or activities he had running. He seemed as if he'd look after you for ever once you were inside his world. RIP mate.
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Stew Ingredient

Postby shunter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:44 pm

northern_goddess wrote:That mystery of the missing plane will never be solved now. :(

It's solved! It only remains for the world to understand this.
Untrollable since 2017

Stew Ingredient

Postby cowtown » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:12 pm

Zaffer died?

What the fuck?

I haven’t been around much but damn

Another that I actually met, we had beers in a swank hotel in Petoria, good guy, had some laughs
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Stew Ingredient
Location: Bay Area -- SF, CA (Don't even think of calling it 'Frisco.')

Postby Wilster » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:28 pm

cowtown wrote:Zaffer died?

Look at "sticky" at top of this branch.
My moniker is Wilster. How is my posting? If you no like, write suggestions down intelligibly on paper and then...burn it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Shavenhead » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:32 pm

"Where's my beer you cunt?" Sorry, I never got to deliver it.

Not to mention the tank:

Will make a pont of doing a pilgrimage to the long drop in the baobab tree at Katima Mulilo though.

RIP Zaf.
Darkness is good.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:28 pm

everytime i see these posts about him, i get teary eyed. :cry:

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:13 pm

I think of him kind of like Lost Soul, only four-dimentional.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:16 pm

Lost Soul, with (reverse) gravitas

Next

Return to Famous Dishes