Jono In Adelaide

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Former showgirl

Re: Jono In Adelaide

Postby lolasf » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:41 pm

For what it's worth, I'll add my condolences to the list. What shocking sad news, Jono seemed like one of the good guys. RIP Jono.
Things fall apart, it's scientific.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Tortilla Slim » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Very sad. He seemed like a real class act.
"I want you to slap me in the face with your big bean burrito, Taco" - Saheli (Read more here (NSFW) http://tinyurl.com/http-politicalstew-com)

Stew Ingredient

Postby Undertree » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Oh that's sad. You never know what someone is dealing with.
Did you see that?

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:55 pm

I remember back in the day female posters saying how adorable Jono was and how they wanted to hook him up with their lady friends.

Stew Ingredient

Postby gnd » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:21 pm

snowgirl wrote:I saw Blue's thread before I saw this one. Thank you purps and Blue for sharing this sad news with us. It just breaks my heart that some people suffer so much that taking their own life seems the preferable course of action. My sincere condolences to his family and loved ones.

Yeah, sad that anyone feels that unbearable inside, or that it doesn´t seem easy to tell who is feeling like that to help them.
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:25 pm

A real loss to the place. And I'm so sorry that such a good person had to go through that level of despair. My condolences to all who knew and loved him.
Pass the wine...

Stew Ingredient

Postby Moethebartender » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:44 pm

I'm utterly stunned and saddened. I used to correspond fairly regularly with Jon back in the day. Kind of lost touch after we had both stopped posting much for a while. When he started posting briefly a while ago, it seemed like he was in a better place, mentally, after some very tough times. I'd just been meaning to PM him to see how things were going, but didn't get around to it. He was about the most sincere and nicest guy I've ever 'known' from the internet and he was someone that I'd looked forward to meeting some day in real life. I find myself at a loss for words.
Angry Korky expressing his hope for 'Justice' wrote:maybe Borden gets thrown in the slammer and buttfucked by a big black dude.

Stew Ingredient

Postby ceylon_tea » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:46 pm

Sad news. Condolences to the family & friends.

Stew Ingredient

Postby queenrania » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:20 pm

Horrible news!

Jono was always kind to me. Always! He was my favorite. Life dealt him a very difficult deck of cards. He was suffering from severe depressions for a very long time. Nobody knew how to treat him but one psychiatrist prescribed him supposedly the right medication.

I thought it was working... He was full of life and joy. We were planning to meet in California or Thailand .

Fuck, I wish I did not come to this forum today.

Hamburglar

Postby salmonid » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Awful news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Stew Ingredient

Postby RandomThoughts » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm so sad to hear this news- Jono seemed to be a genuinely nice guy and I'm sorry to know he was struggling so much that he had to leave. My condolences to his family and everyone who knew and loved him. I often say that it is always too soon to say goodbye when someone dies...and sometimes it is unbearably too soon.

He was certainly an enjoyable piece of the PS puzzle...someone who, as this thread shows, managed to make a favorable impression here as one of the good ones and an interesting person to know. He was on the short list of PS-ers I would make an effort to meet in person. He hasn't been here recently - but he was not forgotten and he will be missed.
Self proclaimed PS wallflower

Stew Ingredient

Postby Paddox1 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:16 pm

How very sad. A shitty few weeks for the stew and all who sail in her.

Rip Jono.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:19 pm

He didn't post since I joined last August, well not that much that I had seen.

Which always confused me, as I can't remember one person speaking badly of him, and I had nothing to base this positive view of him on.

I did see a photo of him once, and he looked like a great big friendly guy.

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:44 pm

He was the first person I became friends with online. He was a hell of a nice guy. I wish he had had an easier go of it. I still owe him a case of wine.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Stew Ingredient

Postby trixie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm so sad to hear this. He was, indeed, one of the good posters. Funny and kind.

I hope his soul is at peace now.
Learning is delightful and delicious. As, by the way, am I.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chi_Rup » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Depression is a horrible illness. Or whatever happened. It's awful.

Count me in amongst the good wishes to be passed on, I hope they offer some comfort.

stewpendous

Postby Beach_Lover » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:09 pm

Shit, I cannot believe my eyes.

Jono had such a kind soul. I lost touch with him, but I often thought of him.

RIP sweet man.
I may have been a little rash in my initial observation of BeachLover

The fact that she's Canadian and participates in Fantasy BB automatically makes her a super cool chick

Pancake recipes or not..I'm down with Beach Lover Belch Scott Baio

Stew Ingredient

Postby Shavenhead » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:11 pm

This is a real shocker.

Jono is one of my earliest memories of this and the LP forum. A commom thread was his love for, and intense interest in Zimbabwe.

Never met him, but he came across as one of those rare people who don't possess a bad bone in their body.

A good man.

RIP Jono.
Darkness is good.

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:21 pm

So, "Streeterville: Jono and Albo's Place"?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Steve_in_Exile » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Shavenhead wrote:A commom thread was his love for, and intense interest in Zimbabwe

Yes I was going to mention that too--he had a real sense of his roots there. I recall for a period of time he posted a series of letters written by a woman in Zimbabwe chronicling the downward slide of the country under Mugabe. I think she was a white farmer in Zim, not sure. Anyhow Jono spoke about that topic with a real sense of loss, but never with any anger--it was pretty amazing.

Stew Ingredient

Postby StrangeLove » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Jono was a good guy; I'm gonna miss him.

RIP, Jono.
Citizen Baba on 4/28/2015 wrote:If we ever do have that Baltimore piss up, I'll need to take a minute and a half break to kick strangelove's ass.

Stew Ingredient

Postby kekkles » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:28 pm

He was a voice of reason and a good bloke as well.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Jelly_Belly » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:09 pm

Jono was surely blessed by a divine spirit as he was an example to us all. Today all the Angels are weeping as they should be. Bless you Jono.
One famous poster once said...." I look around the house to see what she doesn't have and then I get her it."

Another famous poster uttered: "I have known non-whites who thought of themselves as expats."

Stew Ingredient

Postby indian_fellow » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:54 pm

Shocked. Jono was by far the most easy going and nicest poster here. We've 'known' each other for almost a decade now. Rest in Pease Jon.

Stew Ingredient

Postby avalon_ » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:58 pm

I'm heartbroken. He was such a genuinely nice human.

Stew Ingredient

Postby andybox » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:08 am

Ahhhhh shit. I'm stunned. I was wondering 2 weeks ago where he had been, and was going to try catch up for a beer if he still lived in Darwin. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Jono, RIP mate, Andy.

Stew Ingredient

Postby suck it up » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:17 am

I recently became his friend on Facebook (after 'knowing' him here for years) and enjoyed reading what he had to say on Facebook as much as I did here. Such a sad loss for those he left behind. He was a wonderful human being. RIP Jono In Adelaide.

Stew Ingredient

Postby StanDeMan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:52 am

This is such sad news :( I've been wondering where he's been.
I never met him but he's someone I know I would have really liked.
He'd PM me occasionally to reply to some of my posts......sometimes starting out with ...."Hey Buddy".......
His last PM was giving me helpful advice on taking care of my elderly mother and her husband. You could tell he had a great big heart for people.
Rest in peace Jono........you'll me missed by many.
The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:18 am

Didn't he love this one? (Well, what Australian doesn't?)

Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Stew Ingredient

Postby BeatRaven » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:24 am

A million years ago, we used to correspond about investing. He was fan of the books of Suze Orman, of whom he said he "liked the fluffy, believe in yourself bits as much as the info".

I recall a funny exchange between him and Jelly Belly on the subject of box wine. He preferred his cheap white in a bottle, but grandly allowed that certainly box wine would be in his future plans.

He had the duality of being the guy who worked in the box factory who was also so very cultured and accessibly intimate.

These are my sole memories of him. I wish I met him.

Stew Ingredient

Postby cultureshock » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:22 am

reading this thread made me think of the times he joined us in the politics branch.
he used to actually frustrate me, yea, really, post 9/11 i'd get these conspiratorial threads going, finding arguments was easy, but, no, not jono, always the damn voice of reason.
i think at one point i just gave up trying to get him riled, it was impossible.
-In short, you're a mouth-breathing moron who isn't mentally stable or able enough to render any sort of judgment that ought to respected by people who are able to breath without drooling all over themselves. Moethebartender

-op is a canker. rider5

Admin's Concubine

Postby pezworld » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:56 am

cultureshock wrote:i think at one point i just gave up trying to get him riled, it was impossible.

:D True!
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

Stew Ingredient

Postby dBrother » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:42 am

Sorry to hear this aswell, talked to him a bit when i first came here, and as everyone says, he was an exceptionally decent fellow to deal with..

Stew Ingredient

Postby Argonheart_Po » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:31 am

In 2004 Jono suggested that the theme song for Absolutely Fabulous "wheels on fire, rolling down the road" would be an appropriate theme song after the assassination of Ahmed Yassin.

It made me laugh whenever I thought of it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby brodie_bruce » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:50 am

Already posted in the other jono thread but condolences to jono's family if they read this.

He always came across as a decent bloke who'd had a bad patch but made it through.

There's been far too many people pass away here (including friends and family of posters of course) and in real life lately.
Can't help feeling we'll come to look back fondly on 2016. As we scrabble for rat meat & potable water in the apocalyptic wastes of 2017.

Stew Ingredient

Postby yehyeh » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:35 am

I'm sorry to hear this sad news.

Stew Ingredient

Postby The_Macedonian » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:15 pm

This is bloody lousy news.

Jono in Adelaide was one class act, and my memories of him go back to at least 2002, and noting that he seemed one of the most gracious and unflappable posters ever to grace the Thorn Tree. He took all the comments about the only good thing South Australia had to offer was high quality red wine and stunning close-up views of Great White sharks with great humour.

Damn shame. Rest in peace Jono.

Stew Ingredient

Postby kagyuster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Still can't believe this.

RIP, Jono.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Kape » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:50 pm

I'm so sorry and shocked to hear this.

My condolences to family and friends.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:51 pm

i'm stunned to hear about this -- as posters have already testified, he seemed like such a decent person

really hard to believe
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby queenrania » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:30 pm

andybox wrote:Ahhhhh shit. I'm stunned. I was wondering 2 weeks ago where he had been, and was going to try catch up for a beer if he still lived in Darwin. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Jono, RIP mate, Andy.

A few months back he was still in Darwin. We communicated privately since the days of Lonely Planet. Again, he was very, very kind. He even shared the details of his private life/his relationships and his passions. I had great respect for him and he probably sensed it. After the LP political section was shut down he never passed a judgment on me. When I complained to him that the anti-Semites were once again gaining up on me he told me that as long as he was a moderator I was protected. He was very clear what side he was on privately but at the same time was very, very diplomatic publicly. He was the only one on this forum who had my personal email address.

It is hard to lose somebody as precious as Jono was. RIP Jono.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Kape » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:01 pm

queenrania wrote:
andybox wrote:Ahhhhh shit. I'm stunned. I was wondering 2 weeks ago where he had been, and was going to try catch up for a beer if he still lived in Darwin. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. Jono, RIP mate, Andy.

A few months back he was still in Darwin. We communicated privately since the days of Lonely Planet. Again, he was very, very kind. He even shared the details of his private life/his relationships and his passions. I had great respect for him and he probably sensed it. After the LP political section was shut down he never passed a judgment on me. When I complained to him that the anti-Semites were once again gaining up on me he told me that as long as he was a moderator I was protected. He was very clear what side he was on privately but at the same time was very, very diplomatic publicly. He was the only one on this forum who had my personal email address.

Beautifully said, queenrania. I think I recognize that from LP times.

Yes, he was very, very kind.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Logg » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:20 pm

This is awful. There wasn't a sweeter person on the Stew.

I would have liked to have known him in real life.

RIP Jono.

Stew Ingredient

Postby BulletPark » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Terrible news.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:19 pm

These are al just wonderful tributes to someone who earned all of our admiration. I am no believer in the after life in the religious or spiritual sense, but the memory of a good person goes on living within everyone he or she has touched. Jono really has touched all of us.
Korgy Trump:
"maybe Borden gets thrown in the slammer and buttfucked by a big black dude."

Korgy Trump:
"i dont think that sentencing people to being raped in prison should be part of the justice system either. glad we agree."

Stew Ingredient

Postby Allan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Everyone who commented here has described Jono's attributes to a tee. He was in real life as fine a person as has been described here. I would add that he had a great sense of humour and wasn't above playful teasing, as Fritz and I discovered on our trips with him to SEA.

But that was all in fun. I can't remember him ever criticizing a person either on the forum or in person. Not once.
Aka Dallan and Foggyday

Stew Ingredient

Postby Steve_in_Exile » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:34 pm

Allan....rhymes with....?

Stew Ingredient

Postby andybox » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:52 pm

queenrania wrote:

Yeah he told me where he worked Queenie, and we bantered a bit about the rednecks in Darwin. I knew he was going through a rough time, but never knew it was as bad as it was.

Stew Ingredient

Postby (X) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:56 pm

J'ai pas les mots, merci pour tes conseils Jono. Que ton repos soit paisible.
Slap on your butt for good measure!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:50 pm

condolences

PreviousNext

Return to Famous Dishes