I've decided to become gay

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

Am I gay?

Yes, say you are and we accept you as part of the community
10
67%
No, slight issue her: you dont fancy men only women.
5
33%
 
Total votes : 15
Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 20218
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am
Location: Seattle

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby muthafunky » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:04 am

jono_in_adelaide wrote:Mutha, I dont know that Matts office is representetive of the average Australian office


You better watch yourself. With that attitude you might accidentally slip and describe a blonde woman as a blonde woman and then get fired.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 6966
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby matt_melb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:06 am

jono_in_adelaide wrote:Mutha, I dont know that Matts office is representetive of the average Australian office

Probably true. We are a law firm.

French Me
User avatar
Posts: 2106
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:06 am

jono_in_adelaide wrote:Mutha, I dont know that Matts office is representetive of the average Australian office

On a side note, one of our big customers is a mixed race/aboriginal guy, who calls him self "Chocco", it makes me cringe every time I have to ring up and ask the receptionist to speak with him


See when I read that - HE is making a Statement about who he is and what he wants to be acknowledged for in his name v you not feeling comfortable. How is that you are not comfortable? Do you see the spotlight of him saying he is Chocco? Have you thought why he chooses that name? Just respect it. I really wonder how people of color talk within their own walls over there?
Sweet Freedom whispers in my ear...

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16994
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby EMG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:09 am

Rubyrain wrote: How is that you are not comfortable? Do you see the spotlight of him saying he is Chocco? Have you thought why he chooses that name?


They're made insecure and told what to think and say. In instances like this their government has not told them what to think, so they're confused.

French Me
User avatar
Posts: 2106
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:11 am

EMG wrote:
Rubyrain wrote: How is that you are not comfortable? Do you see the spotlight of him saying he is Chocco? Have you thought why he chooses that name?


They're made insecure and told what to think and say. In instances like this their government has not told them what to think, so they're confused.



They need some lIl Wayne, and Jay zee and get the black and proud going on.
Sweet Freedom whispers in my ear...

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:12 am

We can't "respect" it because we know our history and our culture and we know English settlers gave names like that to Aboriginal people and that it was meant to be demeaning. The person may well be calling himself that to make a political statement. That is fine. He is entitled to do that. But it makes us cringe.

You just don't understand.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16994
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby EMG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:13 am

Please. Let's not use the racist word "black". They are only black if they've decided to be so, and we have no asked them what they would like to be today.

And anyway, how do you know they're black? Either you're racist and you see skin tone or you're enlightened.

stewpid colonial
User avatar
Posts: 11263
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:10 am
Location: Darwin, Australia

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby jono_in_adelaide » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:16 am

I do respect it, but it still makes me feel uncomfortable, because it vaugly makes me think of black people being called kaffirs and niggers and god knows what.

In the same was, I feel uncomfortable saying someone is a jew, as opposed to someone is jewish, it makes me think of stars of david sewn on clothes and cattle trucks full of people heading east.

Just a couple of little failings i have
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16994
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby EMG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 am

Australian insecurity is cute.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 6966
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby matt_melb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:20 am

EMG and Mutha - you'd be OK with being overheard on the telephone asking to be put through to "Nigger", if the guy in question had made it known that he was happy with that name?

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16994
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby EMG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:23 am

I spent many years of my life being referred to as "this nigga", "that nigga", "my nigga" and so on. I used the term freely as it was the term used in my circle, much as word like "brother" or "cousin" are used in other cultures to refer to a close friend.

Yes, I am OK with calling people what they would like to be called.

French Me
User avatar
Posts: 2106
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:24 am

jono_in_adelaide wrote:I do respect it, but it still makes me feel uncomfortable, because it vaugly makes me think of black people being called kaffirs and niggers and god knows what.

In the same was, I feel uncomfortable saying someone is a jew, as opposed to someone is jewish, it makes me think of stars of david sewn on clothes and cattle trucks full of people heading east.

Just a couple of little failings i have


That's your problem that is hurting them not you. Do you see that? You answer as YOU v WE in this situation, there are two races in this not one/yours. Why you can't separate each culture from one another only you can answer - so why do you do that? Just get to know each one on an individual basis, and being black is just as prideful as being white. Religions I just over all respect.

I appreciate you Jono because it gives great insight in the mindset, and tbh I am not sure any of you have figured out what is respectful. The good news is it can be changed even if you are the first to do it.
Sweet Freedom whispers in my ear...

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:26 am

Rubyrain: you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you see that? You can't understand that there are people in the world who don't speak and think like you. Do you not understand how ignorant and patronising you come across?

Would you call anyone a nigger or a towelhead or a polack?

French Me
User avatar
Posts: 2106
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:27 am

matt_melb wrote:EMG and Mutha - you'd be OK with being overheard on the telephone asking to be put through to "Nigger", if the guy in question had made it known that he was happy with that name?



Where did this come from?
Sweet Freedom whispers in my ear...

French Me
User avatar
Posts: 2106
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:31 am

temporaryhandle wrote:Rubyrain: you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you see that? You can't understand that there are people in the world who don't speak and think like you. Do you not understand how ignorant and patronising you come across?

Would you call anyone a nigger or a towelhead or a polack?


Haha ok, No I wouldn't call a stranger any of those words ok? But, we are not talking about ME - we are talking about different races and colors. Do you get that? I disagree about me being ignorant, maybe I am in your culture and I def am to you. The difference between me and you is I include other cultures/races v just mine.

Now do you have stats links to prove your assertions? Do you see that we are talking about accepting different races for who they are color and all?
Sweet Freedom whispers in my ear...

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 20150
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:08 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Scrubb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:38 am

Rubyrain, I don't think you've caught the fact that "black" in Australia is a negative descriptor. Their country's history is different from yours. They don't need to learn from you, as you've suggested.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 16994
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby EMG » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:40 am

Scrubb wrote:"black" in Australia is a negative descriptor


Exactly. That's what I find hard to comprehend.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:41 am

Stats to prove what assertions??? We are talking about perceptions arising from history and culture. How do you use "stats" in those circumstances?

Read some Australian history and then presume to comment on why non Indigenous Australians do not use names like Chocco and are embarrassed when they hear them used. I have already suggetsed some reading to your compatriots.

But please don't let facts get in the way of your pontifications.

I am sorry Scrubb, I know you are trying to be supportive. But black is NOT a negative descriptor. It's just not a descriptor at all. Aboriginal people are simply not "blacks" in the way Americans understand that term.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 20218
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am
Location: Seattle

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby muthafunky » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:43 am

matt_melb wrote:EMG and Mutha - you'd be OK with being overheard on the telephone asking to be put through to "Nigger", if the guy in question had made it known that he was happy with that name?


No. I'm not sure why you're asking me that.

French Me
User avatar
Posts: 2106
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:44 am

Scrubb wrote:Rubyrain, I don't think you've caught the fact that "black" in Australia is a negative descriptor. Their country's history is different from yours. They don't need to learn from you, as you've suggested.


I don't see where I told them not to call them black, but to accept them as black or I asked how do they call a black person if they can't use black as a discription? So Scrubbs you want to point that out to me? I also question their "culture" and fuck you they can scroll right on by, because I have every right to ask, I am not telling them to learn from me.
Sweet Freedom whispers in my ear...

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:50 am

So now we have no history, no culture and that we should call all Aboriginal people black, despite the fact that they don't identify themselves that way?

And don't abuse Scrubb because she is trying to help you learn something instead of preaching to people.

You must have been in the PeaceCorps Rubyrain, teaching us heathens how to be proper people, just like Americans.
Last edited by temporaryhandle on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 6966
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby matt_melb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:52 am

muthafunky wrote:
matt_melb wrote:EMG and Mutha - you'd be OK with being overheard on the telephone asking to be put through to "Nigger", if the guy in question had made it known that he was happy with that name?


No. I'm not sure why you're asking me that.

I mixed up one of your posts with Rubyrain's - my mistake - sorry.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 8512
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:38 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Flobster » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:56 am

[quote="EMG"]hah. PC gone mad. You're not allowed to describe people based on what they are. You're not allowed to notice it at all, because you might be a racist../quote]

What? Not at all. The situation I was responding to was 'how to point out someone', and I showed how it's done without the sillines of 'race'. If my boss is southern Italian or Aboriginal is completely irrelevant if I'm pointing him out to someone. He's the "dark guy" or "the brown guy" whatever his "race". Whereas it would be pointless saying "he's the Aborigine" about the other workmate, as there's nothing obvious about his appearance that distinguishes him as such.

People "are" of a race only if they and others think of them that way. It's entirely possible not to.
The world ended on 21 December 2012.

French Me
User avatar
Posts: 2106
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:57 am

temporaryhandle wrote:So now we have no history, no culture and that we should call all Aboriginal people black, despite the fact that they don't identify themselves that way?

And don't abuse Scrubb because she is trying to help you learn something instead of preaching to people.

You must have been in the PeaceCorps Rubyrain, teaching us heathens how to be proper people, just like Americans.


Scrubb stuck her nose in this looking at this from one point of view v both of ours. Thats the truth - she didn't ponder what I wrote it was defense mode. Scrubb should beable to talk for herself, obv you two have a thing together totes.

Makes no difference, I hope you replace teaching to learning in the last paragraph.
Sweet Freedom whispers in my ear...

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:03 am

Aboriginal people refer to themselves by their Clan or Tribal name. Such as "I am Wiradjuri", or "I am a Nugunawal man", or "I am a proud Cadigal woman".
Your continued references to "blackness" have no validity in this country.

God you people are stupid.
Last edited by temporaryhandle on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

French Me
User avatar
Posts: 2106
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:04 am

temporaryhandle wrote:Aboriginal people refer to themselves by their Clan or Tribal name. Such as I am Wiradjuri, or I am a Nugunawal man, or I am a proud Cadigal woman.
Your continued references to "blackness" have no validity in this country.

God you people are stupid.


:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sweet Freedom whispers in my ear...

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:05 am

Well I guess that learned me, Rubyrain.

stewpid colonial
User avatar
Posts: 11263
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:10 am
Location: Darwin, Australia

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby jono_in_adelaide » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:08 am

I think this thread is now well past its sell by date
Si vis pacem, para bellum

the Secret Sauce
User avatar
Posts: 26051
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: El Norte

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby section8 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:09 am

jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think this thread is now well past its sell by date


Shut up, you black bastard!
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:10 am

Un. fucking. believable.

Couldn't agree more jono.

stewpid colonial
User avatar
Posts: 11263
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:10 am
Location: Darwin, Australia

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby jono_in_adelaide » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:12 am

temporary - dont take everything so seriously, it isnt that sort of a place
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby stringer_bell » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:20 am

I think Temporary is right to call out amateur hour bullshit when she sees it.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:21 am

It's just really hard to sit back and be patronised by people who don't even know how to use cutlery properly, jono. That's all.

French Me
User avatar
Posts: 2106
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:33 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Rubyrain » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:22 am

matt_melb wrote:
muthafunky wrote:
matt_melb wrote:EMG and Mutha - you'd be OK with being overheard on the telephone asking to be put through to "Nigger", if the guy in question had made it known that he was happy with that name?


No. I'm not sure why you're asking me that.

I mixed up one of your posts with Rubyrain's - my mistake - sorry.



Umm no not me I never said that - geez does any one read the individual posts?
Sweet Freedom whispers in my ear...

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14064
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 pm
Location: Baile Átha Cliath

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Iolar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:24 am

So "black" isn't used as a descriptor in Australia?

Hmmm... so the Sri Lankan cricket team weren't referred to as "black cunts", nor was Greg Inglis called a "black cunt". Maybe "black" is only used if it precedes "cunt"?

What about "wogball", is that term acceptable as a synonym for soccer?
Last edited by Iolar on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
We all secretly love Fr. Tony Abbot because he makes us all look a little bit cleverer. Discuss.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby stringer_bell » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:25 am

And the master is conflation is here

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14064
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 pm
Location: Baile Átha Cliath

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Iolar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:28 am

Were you watching the wogball yesterday, stringer_bell?
We all secretly love Fr. Tony Abbot because he makes us all look a little bit cleverer. Discuss.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 am

They are not Indigenous Australians are they?

And the "black cunts" were busy calling an Australian cricketer a black monkey, while throwing bananas on the pitch, scratching their ampits and making monkey noises. So what's your point lolar.

Sorry jono. I have to refute. It's in my blood.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14064
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 pm
Location: Baile Átha Cliath

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Iolar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:31 am

So it is a descriptor in Australia? Is George Gregan black? Or is he just a wog? He doesn't look like a paddy. He could be a Lebo, I suppose. He looks black.
Last edited by Iolar on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
We all secretly love Fr. Tony Abbot because he makes us all look a little bit cleverer. Discuss.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby stringer_bell » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:32 am

You're a cunt but I doubt you're so dumb as to not be aware of the limited bag of argumentative devices you deploy, Lolar.

Soccer's for nancy boys... I like to hit people.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:35 am

Who is George Gregan?

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14064
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 pm
Location: Baile Átha Cliath

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Iolar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:37 am

And you're a typical atavistic bogan.

"If you think we're xenophobic, then fuck off back to Ireland!"

Isn't that pretty much what you said to me in the other thread about Australian racism? Fucking hilarious.
Last edited by Iolar on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
We all secretly love Fr. Tony Abbot because he makes us all look a little bit cleverer. Discuss.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14064
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 pm
Location: Baile Átha Cliath

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Iolar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 am

One of the best scrum halves of the last twenty years.
We all secretly love Fr. Tony Abbot because he makes us all look a little bit cleverer. Discuss.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby stringer_bell » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:39 am

Are you going to cry?

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:41 am

Lolar is going to cry over George Gregan? What happened to him?

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby stringer_bell » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:41 am

And you deployed another one right then.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 3757
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 am

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby stringer_bell » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:42 am

George confined northern hemisphere rugby to the rubbish bin..

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14064
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 pm
Location: Baile Átha Cliath

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Iolar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:43 am

With laughter perhaps. You're a bit dim, aren't you?

I love Australians. The most thin-skinned people in the Anglosphere.
We all secretly love Fr. Tony Abbot because he makes us all look a little bit cleverer. Discuss.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2101
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby temporaryhandle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:44 am

So George is Australian?

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14064
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 pm
Location: Baile Átha Cliath

Re: I've decided to become gay

Postby Iolar » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:49 am

Are blacks allowed be Australian nowadays? If so, then yes, he is. I'm not sure if it's still 1950 down there.

Wait for it... The bogan will mention the pregnant woman who died as a result of septicaemia. 1...2...3... Go for it, bogan.
We all secretly love Fr. Tony Abbot because he makes us all look a little bit cleverer. Discuss.

PreviousNext

Return to Famous Dishes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest