Re: Views of Slavery and the American Civil War

Postby DCComic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Idiot.
I want my fucking money back.
"It's a vastly superior use of the egg. Dcc is Correct"

Stew Ingredient

Postby vanceen » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 pm

VinnyD wrote:Except that it would have been a lie. He and his supporters did care about the extension of slavery into places where it had not existed before.

They knew they wouldn't be able to abolish it where it existed without a war, but thought they could avoid a war while refusing to extension of slavery to new states. "Both parties deprecated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive, and the other would accept war rather than let it perish, and the war came."

Of course it would have been a lie. That's my point.

The social and political anti-slavery movements in the US, together with the continued existence and spread of slavery, was the wedge that led to the rupture of the Union and the war.

To pretend that the war was not fought over slavery, or indeed to free the slaves, is to ignore that the war would never have happened except for a popular anti-slavery movement.

The US has been at fault for many things in history, including perhaps the handling of southern secession. But to claim that ending slavery was a kind of afterthought to the war is counter-factual. That's one thing Americans got right.

So, to answer the question, "has any other country fought a civil war to free slaves?", the answer is "No, not in the same way". The slaves in Haiti freed themselves, to their credit. But that is not the same thing.

Stew Ingredient

Postby strife » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Seriously, Petula. You have this weird notion that your bigotry is virtuous, because it's an inversion of bigotry that you think is Bad.
I don't want no Commies in my car. No Christians, either.

Stew Ingredient

Postby DCComic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Strife knows what you think.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 pm

The thing about Cunty is that he will draw on US history going all the way back as if were were all there as the perps. He's rock star at parties-self righteous and depressed
Korgy Trump:
"maybe Borden gets thrown in the slammer and buttfucked by a big black dude."

Korgy Trump:
"i dont think that sentencing people to being raped in prison should be part of the justice system either. glad we agree."

Stew Ingredient

Postby DCComic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Really?
It's all in your head.

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Please don't get confused Cunty, I know it's getting close to bed time and your little white pill is waiting for you.
Korgy Trump:
"maybe Borden gets thrown in the slammer and buttfucked by a big black dude."

Korgy Trump:
"i dont think that sentencing people to being raped in prison should be part of the justice system either. glad we agree."

Stew Ingredient

Postby DCComic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Not yet.
How is it you feel so guilty about US history that the mere mention of it gives you conniptions?
You weren't there, it's not your fault.

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Sorry, vanceen. I misunderstood.

Who is Petula?

Stew Ingredient

Postby Smoker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:03 am

Flobster! wrote:Very likely, yes. Slave revolts and peasant uprisings (not quite slaves but damn near) are pretty common.

We are not talking about a slave revolt but some country other than the USA that had a civil war to free its own slaves?

Ie Free men saying to other free men that are slave owners that owning slaves isn't going to be the future of the country yada yada yada.

Warmest Regards, Smoker
ben_hanscombe wrote:You're such a fucking cunt, Smoker. A really revolting piece of shit.

VinnyD wrote: She was over nine, she was a very mature nine-year-old

DCComic wrote:All the cops, miners and truckers voted Trump.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Smoker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:11 am

DCComic wrote:The argument over slavery caused the war, but the war was not fought to free the slaves.

If there hadn't been slavery I doubt if anyone could have wanted to secede plus look at the reasons for seceding posted by Lavite and if slavery wasn't at the root of all the disagreement and desire to secede then what was DCComic because Lavite put it up right there in black and white?

So far the only country I can think of that had a civil war to free it's own slaves is the USA so if anyone can think of another one then lets hear it.

BTW The Haitian Revolution wasn't a civil war of free citizens fighting other free citizens that owned slaves but Haiti was instead a successful slave revolt and anti colonial insurrection and/or revolution against a colonial power yada yada yada.

Warmest Regards, Smoker
ben_hanscombe wrote:You're such a fucking cunt, Smoker. A really revolting piece of shit.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Godjira » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:05 am

You could go negative and say it was the only country that had to have a civil war to abolish slavery.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Stew Ingredient

Postby dBrother » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:30 am

Smoker wrote:BTW The Haitian Revolution wasn't a civil war of free citizens fighting other free citizens that owned slaves but Haiti was instead a successful slave revolt and anti colonial insurrection and/or revolution against a colonial power yada yada yada.

Warmest Regards, Smoker

so when people that happen to be slaves are fighting people that happen to own slaves to determine who's gunna rule the country then this is not counted as civil war because....??

Stew Ingredient

Postby Smoker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:55 am

dBrother wrote:
Smoker wrote:BTW The Haitian Revolution wasn't a civil war of free citizens fighting other free citizens that owned slaves but Haiti was instead a successful slave revolt and anti colonial insurrection and/or revolution against a colonial power yada yada yada.

Warmest Regards, Smoker
so when people that happen to be slaves are fighting people that happen to own slaves to determine who's gunna rule the country then this is not counted as civil war because....??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Revolution

Just read the above link. Haiti was not a country having a civil war to free it's own slaves but instead a slave revolt and anti colonial insurrection against the colonial power France yada yada yada.

Now can anyone think of another country in history besides the USA that had an civil war to free it's own slaves?

Warmest Regards, Smoker

Stew Ingredient

Postby strife » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:45 am

Godjira wrote:You could go negative and say it was the only country that had to have a civil war to abolish slavery.

The Empire of Brazil was overthrown by ultraconservative republicans in 1889, due in no small part to the abolition of slavery in 1888.
I don't want no Commies in my car. No Christians, either.

Instigator

Postby cuchulainn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:02 pm

No rebuttal from Flobster?

Previous

Return to Talk Politics, why don't you?