FBI Trump Russia

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

FBI Trump Russia

Postby korgy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:24 pm

listening to Congressman Nunes present opening argument about the Trump-Russia connection -- pretty damning. connects all the dots, including changes to GOP party platform regarding Russia

"is it a coincidence that...? is it a coincidence that...? is it a coincidence that...? is it a coincidence that...?is it a coincidence that...?"

in the end he says they cant know for certain -- yet.

Comey has not spoken yet.
Last edited by korgy on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Re: FBI Trump Russia

Postby korgy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:34 pm

since the investigation is ongoing, sounds like Comey is going to be pretty tight-lipped for now. he cannot even state who he is investigating.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby 5waldos » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:40 pm

But did confirm that there is an ongoing investigation

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:41 pm

should be noted that Nunes, whom i spoke of in the first post, is a Republican. he is chairman of the United States House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

what i am getting from the radio host is, so far, the big news is there is indeed now an official FBI investigation into Trump campaign collusion with Russia. apparently this was not official before.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:41 pm

5waldos wrote:But did confirm that there is an ongoing investigation
right -- we cross-posted.

that's the big news
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:07 pm

i need to make a correction -- it was Adam Schiff, the ranking Dem on the Committee on Intelligence, who made the prosecutorial case against Trump re: a collusion between his campaign and Russia. it was not Nunes.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby 5waldos » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Oh my how much I dislike Gowdy

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm

I feel like this may be the beginning of the end for the traitor-in-chief. I'm cautiously giddy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 9ee01af3d0

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:44 pm

5waldos wrote:Oh my how much I dislike Gowdy
i missed that part, thank god.

this Roger Stone thing is pretty damning.

Chip, i'm cautiouosly giddy as well. one legal analyst has said that having an acting President under attack by the FBI really is like Watergate
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Has Trump twitted about that yet? Obviously Trump knew, without evidence of carrying out his own investigation, what Russia/Putin did or didn't do last time similar accusations came up.

He must either be God or really good friend with the Russians to be able to be so sure.
Last edited by desertstorm on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Only True Patriots collude with Russia.

Postby eric84 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:58 pm

So, when Comey wrote the letter to the Congressional committee about Hillary's emails, he had investigating Trump-Russia linkages for 3 months.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Hey, anyone who has done anything to keep a Liberal out of the oval office, is in itself evidence that they are friends of the American people.

Postby eric84 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:00 pm

....and as their prize for doing so, they should be forced to serve in the administration of Donald Trump.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:09 pm

eric84 wrote:So, when Comey wrote the letter to the Congressional committee about Hillary's emails, he had investigating Trump-Russia linkages for 3 months.
that is interesting, isnt it. why didn't he say they were doing an investigation into Trump's ties with Russia?
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby 2wilzgood » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:15 pm

korgy wrote:
eric84 wrote:So, when Comey wrote the letter to the Congressional committee about Hillary's emails, he had [been] investigating Trump-Russia linkages for 3 months.
why didn't he say they were doing an investigation into Trump's ties with Russia?

Because it might have unfairly influenced the election? Plus, I believe, there is some prohibition against discussing ongoing investigations.

Didn't apply regarding the emails/server investigation because Hilarity.

Watch live here.

Seems Comey is doing a bit of a dodge.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Ernest Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

Postby eric84 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:23 pm

You can argue the impact of Russia in Hillary losing but Comey's letter almost certainly did damage Hillary.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 3h3 hours ago

What about all of the contact with the Clinton campaign and the Russians? Also, is it true that the DNC would not let the FBI in to look?

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:12 pm

^ god, he is really like a 5-year-old, isn't he.

is there any hope for this country?
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby shunter » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 pm

korgy wrote:
eric84 wrote:So, when Comey wrote the letter to the Congressional committee about Hillary's emails, he had investigating Trump-Russia linkages for 3 months.
that is interesting, isnt it. why didn't he say they were doing an investigation into Trump's ties with Russia?

Why the asymmetrical treatment of the 2 candidates? I dont follow that. Dies it imply trump will be treated more favourably or that he's in a whole world of trouble?
Untrollable since 2017

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 pm

at this point, the Dems better be careful not to rake Comey over the coals too much about the assymetry. the fact that Comey revealed Trump is under investigation is good news enough, and it does seem Trump is in trouble.

sucks though, knowing that Comey was a key factor in Hillary's loss.
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby simon_in_exile » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:05 pm

This confirms what I said during the election: Comey is the primary reason Trump is president today.

The CIA throws foreign elections, and the FBI handed the domestic one to Trump.

In a less corrupt country, people at the top should be in jail for this.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Postby eric84 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:09 pm

It's one of the reasons, I don't know it's the primary reason. There were clearly elements in the FBI sympathetic to Trump that had influence with Comey and were leaking constantly on Hillary email stories. Trump's disastrous performance and willingness to throw the entire IC under the bus may have changed their tune or at least silenced the Trumpists.

Stew Ingredient

Postby cowtown » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:17 pm

simon_in_exile wrote:This confirms what I said during the election: Comey is the primary reason Trump is president today.

degreed but, you know #AmeriKKKa

I have a feeling this is going to get all Iran Contra, no justice, doesn’t directly touch Trump and a light slap to someone who as a martyr lands a right-wing radio talk show gig
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Stew Ingredient

Postby shunter » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Can they flip Flynn and get some proper evidence against trump? Then get Trump to resign in return for immunity or a pardon?
Untrollable since 2017

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Comey's explanation is that the letter to Congress was necessary because circumstances had rendered some of his previous testimony incorrect. See the first paragraph of the letter below:

In previous congressional testimony, l referred to the fact that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) had completed its investigation of former Secretary Clinton's personal email server. Due to recent developments, I am writing to supplement my previous testimony.

In connection with an unrelated case, the FBI has learned of the existence of emails that appear to be pertinent to the investigation. I am writing to inform you that the investigative team briefed me on this yesterday, and I agreed that the FBI should take appropriate investigative steps designed to allow investigators to review these emails to determine whether they contain classified information, as well as to assess their importance to our investigation.

Although the FBI cannot yet assess whether or not this material may be significant, and I cannot predict how long it will take us to complete this additional work, I believe it is important to update your Committees about our efforts in light of my previous testimony.

He had to weigh that against the policy of not commenting publicly on an ongoing investigation and the policy of not saying anything close to an election that could influence that election. As Eric suggests, he also must have been worried about leaks to Congress or the press from agents familiar with the Weiner investigation.

If Bill Clinton hadn't stopped to chat with Loretta Lynch at that California airport, Lynch would not have recused herself from the case and she most likely would have delayed that letter until after the election.

Postby eric84 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:54 pm

He could have avoided this by not commenting publicly after the first time he said he closed his investigation into Hillary's emails.

Stew Ingredient

Postby simon_in_exile » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 pm

Why keep quiet when you can re-open the case for two weeks before the election, before then re-closing it, with the effect of erasing one candidate's lead, while not commenting on being three months into an investigation into the other candidate?
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm

White House staffer‏ @AngryWHStaffer 1h1 hour ago

I cannot even describe how scared the President is right now. He's convinced this is the beginning of the end. #ComeyHearing

Stew Ingredient

Postby TeamTrump2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 pm

What's wrong with rebooting the relationship with Russia? Obama did it too. Besides, Russia isn't a real threat according to Obama.

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 pm

here's Politico's take on the day:

FBI’s Trump-Russia probe knocks White House on its heels

Trump’s team scrambles to contain fallout as Comey confirms investigation and debunks wiretapping claim.

By Shane Goldmacher and Matthew Nussbaum

03/20/17 01:43 PM EDT

Updated 03/20/17 03:37 PM EDT

The White House was knocked on the defensive Monday ahead of its biggest week yet on Capitol Hill as FBI Director James Comey confirmed the existence of an active investigation into Russia’s meddling in the presidential election, including whether there was any coordination with now-President Donald Trump’s team.

The dramatic revelation, made at a hearing of the House Intelligence Committee, dragged the Trump administration yet again back into uncomfortable territory just as it had hoped to highlight the smooth rollout of Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch, who began his confirmation hearings across the Capitol on Monday.

In another blow to Trump, Comey and National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers also publicly refuted his unsubstantiated claims on Twitter that President Barack Obama had ordered a wiretap of Trump Tower phones. The leaders of the House and Senate Intelligence Committees had said last week that Trump’s allegations were untrue.

“I have no information that supports those tweets, and we have looked carefully inside the FBI,” Comey said.

The White House scrambled to contain the fallout, deploying two simultaneous war rooms, according to two people familiar with the arrangement, one in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building to monitor the Comey hearing and another in the Senate offices to keep tabs on Gorsuch.

But any hopes in the West Wing for a split-screen day were dashed with the revelation of an active probe into campaign associates of the president. At the White House, televisions in the press offices played the Comey hearing as it ran live on all the cable networks.

“I have been authorized by the Department of Justice to confirm that the FBI, as part of our counterintelligence mission, is investigating the Russian government’s efforts to interfere in the 2016 presidential election,” Comey said. “And that includes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government.”

Comey said the probe will “include an assessment of whether any crimes were committed.”

Comey himself tried not to overstate the investigation, and he drew laughter when pushed on whether talk of Trump’s ties to Russia was a form of “McCarthyism.”

“I try very hard not to engage in any ‘isms’ of any kind, including McCarthyism,” he said.

He also revealed that the FBI launched its investigation into possible ties between Trump’s campaign and Russian officials back in July — a detail that enraged allies of Hillary Clinton, considering Comey chose to confirm the existence of the probe into her email arrangement but not the one into Trump’s campaign.

The White House tried to downplay Comey’s testimony, as press secretary Sean Spicer was peppered with questions during the briefing.
comey_rogers_gty.jpg

He repeatedly tried to cast former national security adviser Michael Flynn as the victim of illegal leaks, seeking to point reporters' focus to the circumstances around which Flynn's pre-inauguration phone calls with the Russian ambassador were revealed. It was a tactic followed by Republicans on Capitol Hill, who mostly ignored Russian interference in the election and opted to focus on leaks to the press.

Spicer also expressed confidence that the FBI investigation would reveal no wrongdoing.

“As has been previously reported, Director Comey confirmed that the FBI is investigating Russia’s role in interfering with the election,” Spicer said. “Following this testimony, it’s clear that nothing has changed. Senior Obama intelligence officials have gone on record to confirm that there is no evidence of a Trump-Russia collusion. The Obama CIA director said so, Obama’s director of national intelligence said so, and we take them at their word.”

Spicer said reporters needed to take “no” for an answer about collusion, and he said more attention should be paid to other issues, like leakers and any contact between Clinton's campaign and Russia. He also sought to minimize the role in the campaign of some people who have been linked to Russia or WikiLeaks, including former campaign adviser Carter Page, longtime Trump confidant Roger Stone and former campaign Chairman Paul Manafort.

Manafort played a “limited role” in the campaign, Spicer said, despite the fact that Manafort managed the campaign as chairman throughout much of the summer and through the Republican National Convention. Spicer said he is not aware of anyone currently serving in the White House who is a subject of the FBI investigation.

In addition to Gorsuch’s confirmation, the House is pushing for a floor vote Thursday on the plan of Speaker Paul Ryan and the White House to repeal and replace Obamacare. There was some hope that the focus on Comey and Gorsuch could allow House whips and Trump vote-counters a chance to round up support for the bill without the full glare of the media, but one senior White House aide dismissed the idea.

“I don’t think I’m clever enough to figure out how to use the Comey hearing to get votes for health care,” the official said.

Trump’s war room teams, meanwhile, offered a preview of what is likely to come as they cherry-picked elements from Comey and Rogers to make it seem as if Russia hadn’t meddled in the election.

“The NSA and FBI tell Congress that Russia did not influence electoral process,” Trump tweeted with a clip of the testimony from the official @POTUS account.

That is not accurate, or, at the least, is misleading. Comey and Rogers testified that Russia had not altered vote tallies, though they acknowledged they could not judge whether the Russian efforts had any influence on voters.

Trump himself began the pushback before the hearings even began, with a burst of morning tweets attacking the media, Clinton, polls and the Democratic Party. “The real story that Congress, the FBI and all others should be looking into is the leaking of Classified information. Must find leaker now!” Trump tweeted.

Republicans on the Hill followed that lead, aggressively questioning how classified information had leaked while giving lighter treatment to the existence of the FBI investigation and its implications for the president.

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) seemed to suggest that journalists should be prosecuted for printing classified information. He implored Comey to say leaks to The Washington Post and The New York Times were being investigated. (Comey declined.)

Meanwhile, Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) said the Clinton Foundation and Clinton campaign need more examination regarding Russia ties. And Republican Rep. Mike Conaway of Texas tried to cast doubt on the intelligence community’s conclusion that Russian interference aimed to help Trump.

The top Democrat on the panel, Rep. Adam Schiff of California, tried to keep the focus on the newly confirmed FBI probe.

“If the Trump campaign, or anybody associated with it, aided or abetted the Russians, it would not only be a serious crime, it would also represent one of the most shocking betrayals of our democracy in history,” Schiff said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/f ... ing-236265
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:33 pm

eric84 wrote:He could have avoided this by not commenting publicly after the first time he said he closed his investigation into Hillary's emails.

Sure. But as a general rule, if you tell Congress something, and then something happens to make that testimony false, you should correct the record.

For example, if during the three weeks after Jeff Sessions told Congress under oath that he hadn't met with the Russians during the campaign, he recalled (or someone reminded him) that in fact he had met with the Russians during the campaign, he ought to have written to Congress and said that he meant that he hadn't met with the Russians during the campaign for the purpose of discussing the campaign, which I believe is the line he now takes with regard to the meetings now that they have become public.
Last edited by VinnyD on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:51 pm

So many Putin-cucks. My gosh, but these men are weak betas.

Stew Ingredient

Postby shunter » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:55 pm

What's the penalty for treason? Can they fry the fucker?
Untrollable since 2017

Stew Ingredient

Postby korgy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Joe Scarborough, the MSNBC Republican from Florida, said this is the worst day for Trump's Presidency so far.

interesting..
"the rise of Kim Crow"

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Two months down today. Forty-six to go.

Mayor McCheese

Postby Citizen Baba » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 pm

korgy wrote:Joe Scarborough, the MSNBC Republican from Florida, said this is the worst day for Trump's Presidency so far.

interesting..

I should care what some tv talking head says, exactly why?

Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Postby Electrolyte » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:51 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:I feel like this may be the beginning of the end for the traitor-in-chief. I'm cautiously giddy.

Be careful what you wish for. The Republicans have the House, the Senate, and the White House. Is it maybe a gift from God to Democrats that their guy in the WH is so badly tripping over his own feet and is unable to implement his crazy agenda? Pence would likely be more competent at legislating, and might not be much more sane.

Stew Ingredient

Postby 5waldos » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:
korgy wrote:Joe Scarborough, the MSNBC Republican from Florida, said this is the worst day for Trump's Presidency so far.

interesting..

I should care what some tv talking head says, exactly why?

You shouldn't care about anything.

Stew Ingredient

Postby birdlite » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 pm

simon_in_exile wrote:This confirms what I said during the election: Comey is the primary reason Trump is president today.

Part of me thinks that Comey is investigating Trump campaign/Russia is to get the heat off his own activities before the election...and nothing will happen. Most of the GOP still seems unconcerned that Russia influenced our election. They only care that this was leaked.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 pm

The gist of an opinion piece in the Sunday New York Times comes down to four words: What is he hiding?

The author, Hedrick Smith, is well known to some of us old-timers as a journalist with an excellent reputation. He says every President, when he feels the press is getting too close to a damning truth, launches a pre-emptive attack on the press; even the most charming of them, he says, as he cites JFK. David Halberstam was a New York Times reporter filing reports from North Vietnam that civilian areas of Hanoi and Haiphong had suffered extensive damage -- and civilians there had been killed -- by U.S. bombing runs at a time when the Kennedy Administration was describing the attacks as having pin-point accuracy against military targets. In a private meeting with Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, owner and publisher of the New York Times, JFK urged Sulzberger to recall Halberstam. The Times left him in place.

Hedrick Smith also described measures taken by Presidents who weren't charming in their relations with the press -- Nixon and LBJ among them, and he said that in every case an Admnistration was trying to keep the lid on something it didn't want exposed to scrutiny. Smith believes the same fear of exposure is what causes Trump and his cohorts to continue attacking the press, and I believe him.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stew Ingredient

Postby Ped_Yai » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Trump has peaked.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Hedrick Smith is still alive!

Instigator

Postby cuchulainn » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:34 pm

shunter wrote:What's the penalty for treason? Can they fry the fucker?

They could.

Stew Ingredient

Postby 2wilzgood » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:33 pm

I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Ernest Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Neither of them was convicted of treason, 2wilz. Treason is the only crime defined in the constitution: "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort." The USSR was an ally at the time they gave it aid.

Stew Ingredient

Postby RedsailsII » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm

Congressman Nunes? Sounds like a Mexican from the Azores. He'd better recuse himself from all future hearings investigations, given that his great-grandparents are racially tainted.

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:33 pm

He is a Portuguese-American (third generation) dairy farmer from the Central Valley.

Are there a lot of Mexicans from the Azores? I would have thought they would go to the US if they could.

Stew Ingredient

Postby RedsailsII » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Sorry, gosh, I thought the Azores were islands just off the Mexican coast close to Africa/Europe. Third-generation? Isn't that the same as great-grandparents? So at least I got that part right.

I had assumed that all dark-looking people with tildes in their names must be Mexican.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chip_Oatley » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:01 pm

VinnyD wrote:Hedrick Smith is still alive!

As a college junior, I was in D.C. for a Washington Semester program in journalism and public policy. One woman I knew was working directly for Hedrick Smith. Her internship sounded awesome.

Next

Return to Talk Politics, why don't you?